megamillionslose
    megamillionslose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3740

NV bookie WmHill sez dummy lost $3500 on Golden St $ line over Lakers!

He thought he wuz gonna steal an EZ $50

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Some guys here supposedly lost $9000 in an attempt to win $100.

We haven't heard from him since.

The last thing we heard was "Geronimoooo!..."

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

I once lost $500 trying win 5 dollars on Rafal Nadal Wimbledon. 2012

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

50 dollars can buy you some nice t shirts

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It happens

They have been auto lock so was not bad bet

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    I once lost $500 trying win 5 dollars on Rafal Nadal Wimbledon. 2012
    I seriously lol at this

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

So what's worse a guy who chalks up moneyline on gs vs a below 200 team or a guy who put 20k on gs first half? I would feel worse on a first half bet then eating mass mass chalk on the greatest upset in NBA history

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

I once live bet 20k to win $500 on the Yanks leading big late with my son sitting next to me, silly to do I know. When I told him he's smart enough to know how stupid that was even though Yanks won easily.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

What were the Lakers that game, like +2000 or so? Is that the biggest North American professional upset of the past few years? I've only been betting and paying attention to lines for a couple years so I wouldn't know but I'm thinking that has to be one of the biggest upsets this decade in the power 4 leagues(MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). I've never seen a dog that high before that cashed in a pro game since I've been betting. I've seen college football and other foreign stuff higher but not an American pro team.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10476

the nba is all BS , save your money

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    What were the Lakers that game, like +2000 or so? Is that the biggest North American professional upset of the past few years? I've only been betting and paying attention to lines for a couple years so I wouldn't know but I'm thinking that has to be one of the biggest upsets this decade in the power 4 leagues(MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). I've never seen a dog that high before that cashed in a pro game since I've been betting. I've seen college football and other foreign stuff higher but not an American pro team.
    Im sure its not.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by sweethook View Post
    I agree, runs are tremendous, big leads mean nothing.

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

not everyone looses in NBA guys

habitualwinning

How come you never(I haven't seen any since I've been paying attention) see >+500 ML dogs in NHL or MLB but you see them regularly in the NBA and NFL? A huge dog in the NHL or MLB would be like +300 or +400. In NFL and NBA every night there's a dog in that range or much higher, like +800, +1200 etc. I've always wondered about this since I've been paying attention to lines.

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Simple answer to the ML question:

MLB, team goes 90-72, they are considered great, probably won the division and going to the playoffs.
    Pucks, when was the last time a team won 60 let alone 72 game or even approached winning 65% of their games.

What I am saying is, MLB/NHL could never have a -1000 game, because 99% of action would be on dog, every single time.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

No dom.

Nba has no parity. Nhl and mlb also are team sports. Nba is a one or 2 player league.

Nfl same as nhl and mlb where anyone can win.

The talent discrepancy in nb from shit team to great team is so high.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

I have lost -1000 Moneylines on NBA many times. The matchbook guy booking my action surely thinks I am a square. OTOH, the book where my +900 freeplay hit on the opposite side surely thinks I am very lucky.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

It's gotta be up there. Baseball and hockey we can throw out the window. They don't have lines this high ever. Not even close. I don't even remember seeing a line as high as -400 in either sport. Football I guess can happen once in a blue moon. What was the ml on that Broncos/Jags game a few years ago. Broncos were like -28.5. If I'm remembering correctly, the Broncos were something like -6400 on the ml. They obviously won the game so the bet didn't hit, but the opportunity could exist.
    Points Awarded:

habitualwinning gave POOLSIDE 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

habitualwinning

So basically what you guys are saying is that MLB and NHL are straight leagues and NBA and NFL are fixed right? Cause if that's not what you're saying then I don't understand. I'm pretty sure there have been at least 3 NBA games just in the past few days where a +1000 dog has won. Lakers, Grizzlies and Suns. If these teams were seriously playing for real, then that would be impossible due to talent disparity. But when a scrub NHL team like Toronto or Buffalo pops a division leader at +275, when they should've been a much higher dog, it's just league parity, huh? I think it's really just about books squeezing bettors cause fair value in an NHL or MLB game where the worst team is playing the best team should be higher than +250 or +300.

Let's look at standings. In NHL, Toronto is the bottom feeder, 50 points back of Caps. 2 points per win in NHL, so they are essentially 25 games back in the standings. In NBA, Grizzlies are only 15 games back from San Antonio in division, yet they won as +1000 dogs to Cavs a couple days ago. The highest dog line I've seen on Toronto in NHL this season was like +300. See what I'm getting at here. The lines don't make sense when you compare the numbers across leagues. MLB and NHL betters are getting squeezed on dog lines.

POOLSIDE

So basically what you guys are saying is that MLB and NHL are straight leagues and NBA and NFL are fixed right? Cause if that's not what you're saying then I don't understand. I'm pretty sure there have been at least 3 NBA games just in the past few days where a +1000 dog has won. Lakers, Grizzlies and Suns. If these teams were seriously playing for real, then that would be impossible due to talent disparity. But when a scrub NHL team like Toronto or Buffalo pops a division leader at +275, when they should've been a much higher dog, it's just league parity, huh? I think it's really just about books squeezing bettors cause fair value in an NHL or MLB game where the worst team is playing the best team should be higher than +250 or +300.

Let's look at standings. In NHL, Toronto is the bottom feeder, 50 points back of Caps. 2 points per win in NHL, so they are essentially 25 games back in the standings. In NBA, Grizzlies are only 15 games back from San Antonio in division, yet they won as +1000 dogs to Cavs a couple days ago. The highest dog line I've seen on Toronto in NHL this season was like +300. See what I'm getting at here. The lines don't make sense when you compare the numbers across leagues. MLB and NHL betters are getting squeezed on dog lines.
    You might be overthinking it. I believe it has more to do with the amount of scoring in each sport. In a game like soccer, hockey, or baseball where a score as low as 1-0 regularly wins games, you can understand how it's more likely for an underdog to win. Basketball games probably average more than 200 points per game, with each team having well over fifty possessions per game. Barring a turnover, every single one of those possessions has at least one quality scoring opportunity. None of the other sports are like this. In a game with 200 total points, it's faaaaar more likely that the better teams scores the majority of them. In a baseball or hockey game with three or four points total, that can easily go either way.

It also has to do with the value of a single player. If the goalie for a crappy team has an amazing game, or the pitcher for a garbage team happens to throw a complete game shutout (these are things that happen all the time), then the underdog will win. This doesn't work in football. There's no one player that can take over a game. There's not even one player than plays all three facets of the game. I don't care how well Brady is throwing the ball, if his receivers keep dropping it they won't win. It kind of applies in basketball, but to nowhere near the same degree as baseball or hockey. We've seen guys go for fifty in a losing effort regularly over the years. Hell, even when Kobe went for 81 the Lakers were down twenty something in the second half.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by sweethook View Post
    Yes. And lebron. And carmello anthony own them.

jtoler

How come you never(I haven't seen any since I've been paying attention) see >+500 ML dogs in NHL or MLB but you see them regularly in the NBA and NFL? A huge dog in the NHL or MLB would be like +300 or +400. In NFL and NBA every night there's a dog in that range or much higher, like +800, +1200 etc. I've always wondered about this since I've been paying attention to lines.
    You can start backwards by looking at the outcomes of the games in those sports. Its nothing for a basketball game to end in a 10-20 pt difference while many mlb games have 1 run differences as well as 1 or 2 goal differences in NHL, same with the NFL, many games end in 3 or 4 pts or 6 or 7 which still translates to 1 score.

Oli_Renaud91
    Oli_Renaud91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 345

Parity in MLB/NHL is high. You get only a bunch of -400 favs in an whole season and its mostly the worst team in the league playing on the road against a top 3 team.

I think its all about the difference 1 player can do on a particular game. When you see Thompson and Curry scoring more points in a game than some teams in an other games. you cant be surprise to see -1000 and above favs on a regular basis

sando
    sando's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 573

Quote Originally Posted by Oli_Renaud91 View Post
    Parity in MLB/NHL is high. You get only a bunch of -400 favs in an whole season and its mostly the worst team in the league playing on the road against a top 3 team.

I think its all about the difference 1 player can do on a particular game. When you see Thompson and Curry scoring more points in a game than some teams in an other games. you cant be surprise to see -1000 and above favs on a regular basis
    Spot on.

Only in the NBA does 1 player make such a significant difference. No matter how huge the superstar is in NFL, NHL, MLB, they simply cannot make the impact on their respective event that a red hot Curry, Harden, Lebron or Westbrook can...

POOLSIDE

Quote Originally Posted by sando View Post
    Spot on.

Only in the NBA does 1 player make such a significant difference. No matter how huge the superstar is in NFL, NHL, MLB, they simply cannot make the impact on their respective event that a red hot Curry, Harden, Lebron or Westbrook can...
    Not true. When a pitcher throws a complete game shutout or a no hitter or even perfect game, he's got a larger impact on a game than any basketball player ever has.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

put 10 bucks on the dog... will pay off more than your eventually -500 will end up costing you. This is coming from someone who tried to win 300 on a -420, spare yourself the 1200 bucks and just leave it alone.