KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

New England wins toss in OT, decides to kick

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

CBS making a hugh deal for nothing. Kid wasn't confused about kicking. Belichek more concerned about the direction. Kid should have deferred or whatever would allow them to choose which way they were defending.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Vikings did this earlier this season vs Rams and it worked out

KingJD31

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Vikings did this earlier this season vs Rams and it worked out
    Belichek has done it before as well. These morons talking about "muscle memory" God, the CBS announcers are terrible.

KingJD31

Name:  hwoomp.gif
Views: 639
Size:  876.6 KB

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9800

happens when you are in the nfl and can't read or comprehend.

Jets deserved to win. patriots had several penalties with no calls until the very end.

KingJD31

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Belichek has done it before as well. These morons talking about "muscle memory" God, the CBS announcers are terrible.
    Butler was clearly trying to change his mind he didn't know they won the toss

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

In theory if your defense is shutting them down, get a 3 & out and the ball in good field position where a fg wins the game.

I wouldnt do it in a shoot out, but if your defense is hot why not

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Nothing to do with the wind. As soon as Belichick got word that the Steelers lost, he went into tank mode.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Did Belichick tank it?

turtlejc
    turtlejc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

This is what happens when you go to school and people do your homework for you so you can play footy ball

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

WTF was that? That was a weird deal all around.

new era
    new era's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

penetrating BS. But I wouldn't be surprised if BB saw the Steelers lost and gave the gift to the Jets. No one wants to play the Steelers in the playoffs.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

I dont see any reason for a team to defer getting the ball in a sudden death situation, there is no good reason for it ever if youre actually trying to win.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    Butler was clearly trying to change his mind he didn't know they won the toss
    He started protesting when the ref asked what side the Jets wanted to go on offense. Not when the Jets said they wanted the ball. If Belichek wanted the ball, you don't think one of his teammates standing next to him say something when the guy said they wanted to kick?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    I dont see any reason for a team to defer getting the ball in a sudden death situation, there is no good reason for it ever.
    Well, it's not sudden death... So there's that.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Pats shouldn't wanna play the Jets either....So I really doubt they tanked it

They would have benched Brady if they wanted to tank it....he got his ass beat today

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

the weather didn't seem that bad.

why would you defer in ot?

slater or whatever his name was looked confused.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Patriots pulling a play out of the Lions' book?!

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Well they always kick off so maybe there's that theory that he said kick by habit ..also I don't think its a terrible idea as the Jets offense wasn't doing much in the 4th

Belichik does weird things alot

KingJD31

He started protesting when the ref asked what side the Jets wanted to go on offense. Not when the Jets said they wanted the ball. If Belichek wanted the ball, you don't think one of his teammates standing next to him say something when the guy said they wanted to kick?
    he said if we won the toss we should get to choose who gets the ball or something idk exactly they played the soundbite on cbs and it was slater not butler

jtoler

Well, it's not sudden death... So there's that.
    Sudden death with an asterisk being if a td is scored first instead of a field goal. Well a td was scored, game over. No way you put yourself in that position if youre trying to win the game.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

New England wanted to lose so Steelers miss the playoffs. That's why they let Jets win.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19599

I think the ref f*cked up, not the player.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Sudden death with an asterisk being if a td is scored first instead of a field goal. Well a td was scored, game over. No way you put yourself in that position if youre trying to win the game.
    I'd say it's more, each team gets a possession with an asterisk. Belichek is a strategist. If you score a FG first in OT, the odds aren't that you are going to win overwhelmingly. If he thought he could get a 3 & out or one first down and a stop, then good field possession, a FG ends it. Much harder to score a TD in OT. Busted defensive coverage led to the big play and that was almost all she wrote. The problem was, Fitz was throwing all over the Pats for 3 quarters. The last few possessions, the Jets were basically trying to eat clock and handing it off over and over. That could have lulled the Pats to sleep, thinking their D could make a quick stop on the road.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    he said if we won the toss we should get to choose who gets the ball or something idk exactly they played the soundbite on cbs and it was slater not butler
    He was protesting that the Jets were able to choose which way they were going on offense.

KingJD31

He was protesting that the Jets were able to choose which way they were going on offense.
    could be

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

belichick is not a genuis, fuking idiot

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Marshall took care of buisness today,guys still one of the best receivers.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    I think the ref f*cked up, not the player.
    ref was arguing with him afterwards, something is not right. Huge too since Pitt lost.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

I'd say it's more, each team gets a possession with an asterisk. Belichek is a strategist. If you score a FG first in OT, the odds aren't that you are going to win overwhelmingly. If he thought he could get a 3 & out or one first down and a stop, then good field possession, a FG ends it. Much harder to score a TD in OT. Busted defensive coverage led to the big play and that was almost all she wrote. The problem was, Fitz was throwing all over the Pats for 3 quarters. The last few possessions, the Jets were basically trying to eat clock and handing it off over and over. That could have lulled the Pats to sleep, thinking their D could make a quick stop on the road.
    Also if you get the ball 2nd in OT after they kick a FG you have the advantage of 4 downs to convert each first down and can go into the drive with that in mind

I don't think kicking in OT is that crazy in certain situations.....Just dk if this was the right one (obviously not here)

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

And, Belichek just came out and said he wanted to defer. The kid said we want to kick, which is a decision. That is not deferring. So, by making the decision, the Pats lose the ability to choose which way they wanted to defend. That was what the argument was about.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Also if you get the ball 2nd in OT after they kick a FG you have the advantage of 4 downs to convert each first down and can go into the drive with that in mind

I don't think kicking in OT is that crazy in certain situations.....Just dk if this was the right one (obviously not here)
    I agree it wasn't the best decision. On the road, I would try and put the Jets in a hole as you just came back.

What upset me was the CBS announcers throwing the kid under the bus like he was a moron. With basic critical thinking skills and observation, you could tell what he was confused about.

jtoler

No coach gives up the ball in that situation if he's actually trying to win unless he's plain stupid. Just because youve gotten 3 and outs mean nothing, obviously the opponent has gotten 3 and outs against you also, youre in OT for a reason. Besides anything can happen, as you said blown coverages, also penalties, and just plain old they simply score a td against you. If Belichick was actually trying to win this game then he was trying to be too cute for his own good, but I wouldnt doubt it if he wasnt trying to win either.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JayDr3am

123 Last