TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Some thoughts on the RAY RICE PUNISHMENT

I am appealing to the reason of my fellow posters here

How, even in a wild alternate reality, can a guy get a 2 game suspension for knocking out a woman, while a guy who makes controversial comments in a private conversation has the control of his 2 billion dollar basketball team wrested from him?

How did our society get to this point? I realize the NFL and NBA are two different organizations who reprimand as they see fit. Yet a man who physically attacks a female gets a slap on the wrist, while a guy who you have found out through illegal recordings might have opinions you find offensive gets fined, stripped of ownership, and banned.

Where is the outrage?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PaperTrail07

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

If there was footage of Ray Rice actually knocking her out, he'd be gone a lot longer. NFL goes by arrest, prior reputation and offenses, and legal punishment. Didn't Ray Rice get community service? No jail time = lower punishment. Do we know Ray Ray is a member of the Slap-a-ho Tribe? Yes. Did he knock her out? Most likely. It can't be proven though.

The Sterling fiasco was a perfect storm. Guy kept putting his foot in his mouth and shoveling dirt on his own grave. He should have lost his team years ago. The Association finally told the players to make noise and the sponsors started bailing. They finally had the ammo to say Sterling was a financial liability and he was costing the team and the Association real money. The NFL doesn't have the same problem here. Sponsors aren't going to pull out of backing the Ravens or the NFL because of one player's actions. There may be a few protestors and some flack, but the NFL is a 10 billion dollar machine...it isn't deterred by its legion of criminals.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    If there was footage of Ray Rice actually knocking her out, he'd be gone a lot longer. NFL goes by arrest, prior reputation and offenses, and legal punishment. Didn't Ray Rice get community service? No jail time = lower punishment. Do we know Ray Ray is a member of the Slap-a-ho Tribe? Yes. Did he knock her out? Most likely. It can't be proven though.

The Sterling fiasco was a perfect storm. Guy kept putting his foot in his mouth and shoveling dirt on his own grave. He should have lost his team years ago. The Association finally told the players to make noise and the sponsors started bailing. They finally had the ammo to say Sterling was a financial liability and he was costing the team and the Association real money. The NFL doesn't have the same problem here. Sponsors aren't going to pull out of backing the Ravens or the NFL because of one player's actions. There may be a few protestors and some flack, but the NFL is a 10 billion dollar machine...it isn't deterred by its legion of criminals.
    If we always needed video evidence to prosecute anyone our jails would be pretty sparse

Besides, he admitted it

As far as costing the NBA I agree that the league stood to suffer a lot more. That's my point though, the repercussions of having controversial opinions are far worse than knocking out a chick, that's what's crazy. Regardless of his opinions, Sterling created a successful franchise and his players and coaches benefited. Sterling offends, Rice knocks people (chicks) out.

I also submit that had an NFL coach or owner been in the exact same circumstances as Rice, the reaction and punishment would still be muted compared to Sterling.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

there was footage from the elevator that the NFL was able to see before making this decision. Did he knock her out? I'd say from the video we all were able to see she was knocked out. Not sure why he'd be dragging her out of the elevator otherwise.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Punishment been handed down on both situation ....shyt over with...keep it pushing!

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Punishment been handed down on both situation ....shyt over with...keep it pushing!
    Backsidemagick that's not what ur people say after cops get suspended from duty for beating up some crackhead
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 08-01-14 at 12:42 PM.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    If we always needed video evidence to prosecute anyone our jails would be pretty sparse

Besides, he admitted it

As far as costing the NBA I agree that the league stood to suffer a lot more. That's my point though, the repercussions of having controversial opinions are far worse than knocking out a chick, that's what's crazy. Regardless of his opinions, Sterling created a successful franchise and his players and coaches benefited. Sterling offends, Rice knocks people (chicks) out.

I also submit that had an NFL coach or owner been in the exact same circumstances as Rice, the reaction and punishment would still be muted compared to Sterling.
    The NFL has always dealt with bad eggs better than any other league. The NBA situation was unique. You had a new Commish coming in looking to flex and make an impression, an Owner (not a player) with a racist past who had been sued for discrimination multiple times and had tried to systematically evict African American and Mexican tennants from his housing complexes. As long as Stern was there it didn't seem like Sterling was going anywhere. With the recordings, the racism was put in your face. Then with every "apology" or "explanation" the racism continued. The world saw an old racist man with dwindling mental capacity who was suited living in a former generation. It's like the difference between reading a headline "LAPD Officers accused of Police Brutality" and seeing a video where some cops are beating the fukk out of someone with night sticks. Audio and video are more likely to create an emotional reaction.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    there was footage from the elevator that the NFL was able to see before making this decision. Did he knock her out? I'd say from the video we all were able to see she was knocked out. Not sure why he'd be dragging her out of the elevator otherwise.
    Agree, he knocked her out. Him dragging her out of the elevator and dropping her face first like a sack of potatoes then shrugging his shoulders to security did not seem like a remorseful man. However, had everyone seen him throw a right straight and crumple her to the elevator floor, I think the outpour of negative reaction would be greater.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Backsidemagick that's not what ur people say after cops get supsended from duty for beating up some crackhead
    My people?...my people is humans.... If certain people want to protest some type of judgement..let it be...MYSELF understand that everything is about progression...

Roy Halladay
    Roy Halladay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    #HowardEskin

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

for knocking out a woman,
    so what

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Any more than 2 games would have been absurd.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Don't know where there's any evidence of him knocking her out...

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Agree, he knocked her out. Him dragging her out of the elevator and dropping her face first like a sack of potatoes then shrugging his shoulders to security did not seem like a remorseful man. However, had everyone seen him throw a right straight and crumple her to the elevator floor, I think the outpour of negative reaction would be greater.
    I'm pretty sure there is footage of the whole incident somewhere. It sounds like the NFL has seen it, I think.

Hopefully TMZ gets it and this animal will be vilified.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is footage of the whole incident somewhere. It sounds like the NFL has seen it, I think.

Hopefully TMZ gets it and this animal will be vilified.
    Yeah the whole "We can't be sure he did it because we haven't seen the video so cut him some slack" is lame but typical

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Yeah the whole "We can't be sure he did it because we haven't seen the video so cut him some slack" is lame but typical
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...I never said cut the guy slack. Ray Rice is a piece of shit. I said the negative reaction would be greater if we saw him knock her out. However, I don't remember that much outrage when Pacman Jones punched out a female and it was on tape.

TonyTall
    sober 8/18
    TonyTall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 769

black ppl are crazy they have to be tricked. imagine a black guy waking up in moderate pain every morning cause it all collected in the night. he would go crazy. white guy just says what can you do i dont want to make it worse

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

watch her head, lucky duck

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I am appealing to the reason of my fellow posters here

How, even in a wild alternate reality, can a guy get a 2 game suspension for knocking out a woman, while a guy who makes controversial comments in a private conversation has the control of his 2 billion dollar basketball team wrested from him?

How did our society get to this point? I realize the NFL and NBA are two different organizations who reprimand as they see fit. Yet a man who physically attacks a female gets a slap on the wrist, while a guy who you have found out through illegal recordings might have opinions you find offensive gets fined, stripped of ownership, and banned.

Where is the outrage?
    i agree our society is fukked up.

and at 18 you can go to war but not have a pint of beer.

and in America the economy is in shambles but Obama would rather let drug dealers sell weed illegally than legalize it and fix the enconomy by taxing it.

it would add 10 billion dollars to our economy nationwide in 1 year.

and all these fukkin pro sports teams want tax payers to pay for stadium renovations but aint they raise ticket prices every year.

i think Ray Rice should be in jail for 1 year and be banned from the NFL for 3 years. Fukkin scum bag who gives black people a bad name.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

And, as predicted here comes the outrage. NFL claiming to have never seen the footage. Teammates saying he has no support in the locker room. Video makes it so much more real.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    i agree our society is fukked up.

and at 18 you can go to war but not have a pint of beer.

and in America the economy is in shambles but Obama would rather let drug dealers sell weed illegally than legalize it and fix the enconomy by taxing it.

it would add 10 billion dollars to our economy nationwide in 1 year.

and all these fukkin pro sports teams want tax payers to pay for stadium renovations but aint they raise ticket prices every year.

i think Ray Rice should be in jail for 1 year and be banned from the NFL for 3 years. Fukkin scum bag who gives black people a bad name.
    In all fairness though....you give black people a bad name too.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

he had a good lawyer and got off somehow
    nfl stance - court has already decided he's innocent
    yes justice was not served here, but you don't really want league stepping beyond the law either, bc that sets a bad precident

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

How soon until she files for divorce?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

How soon until she files for divorce?
    they kissed and made up.