TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Why Do Poker Players Have Such An Emotional High (Let Down) On So Called Bad Beat?

My buddy was telling me a story yesterday of a local pick up game where I live. It's sort of a poker tourney of champions they have... they meet once a month and for 12 straight months... highest point totals gets a free all expenses paid entry for the World of Poker Championship in Vegas. etc etc etc...

To get to the point... my buddy was telling me a story that happened to him about a month ago. He said he was sitting on a royal flush... and the guy he was going against had a mid range straight flush. The guy who had the straight flush basically raised every turn card while my buddy re-raised every turn. My point being... this kid who was around 22 gets up from his chair and flips his cards over after the river and goes BOOOOOOOOMMMM and starts doing a dance and stuff. He starts grabbing the chips before my friend flips his cards over. And he's acting polite and the kid still thinks he won the hand. The dealer at the table says wait a minute son you didn't win. His hand (my friend) beat yours. As the kid is absolutely stunned he goes fuk this... no way... fuk no... fuk no... no way.... etc. And then he slipped and told my friend fuk you. Now my friend who's middle 30's is calm and polite... but I'll be honest with you... if someone started running their mouth to me at a table... they'd be on the table in a heart beat choke slammed style. Any poker player who loses their composure on any hand doesn't deserve to be playing in my opinion. I told my buddy why didn't you knock that fukker out? Fuk him. Just hearing this story fired me up...

So why is it that everyone gets so fired up over a bad beat? Makes no sense. It's part of the game.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

How is that a bad beat? Your friend had the nuts the whole time...

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Sounds like a possible slow roll.

Going to need video footage of this.

ticklz
    Tick L Me Elmo
    ticklz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

the guy slow roll's a royal...what a dick

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

kid got slowrolled from the sound which is much different

lunch
    lunch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 377

Gamblers are weak people

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Doesn't sound to me like the friend slowrolled, the kid was just in a hurry to rake it in and didn't pay attention to the friend's hand

As far as why people have such emotional reactions to bad beats, I don't think there is any circumstance besides the opponent laughing at you or slowrolling u that warrants a "fuk u"

However, I can see why poker players get very emotional over seemingly one hand. The game can be such a grind, and when ur on a losing streak the emotions just keep piling on. I'm talking a streak of a couple weeks or more where amateurs are hitting river flushes and u lose set over sets. Finally getting a great hand in a big pot but seeing it miraculously lose AGAIN can send you over the edge.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i dont have the patience for Poker.

i would not know