MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

How is Penn State still getting some top recruits?

These kids are morons for attending a school where they have no bowl, conference title, or even national title aspirations......They have offers from other top schools but some how Penn St. is a better situation where you know going in that you will have no postseason for the next 3 years??

I understand kids going there that otherwise aren't recruited to any big time schools but they're getting commitments from a handful of players that have offers 10+ other big schools

I would never go to a school where I had no bowl chances as a big time recruit until my senior year......The awful Stigma associated with Penn St makes it even more crazy

Like how could Penn St. without bowl or postseason games + the stigma be a better decision than the other big schools??

There are 4 four-star players already committed for the 2014 class and counting.....unreal
    Last edited by MoneyLineDawg; 07-09-13 at 03:21 PM.

Lazy-Man
    Lazy-Man's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1137

How else do you think?

$$$$

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Man View Post
    How else do you think?

$$$$
    LOL, Penn State is one bad decision from getting barred for life as an NCAA program.....No way they are paying players

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

It is the fan base.

A lot of the kids that signed last year, and are verballed up this year have been life long PSU fans.

Plus-- look at what PSU is doing with their schedule.

They are trying to play in Ireland next year, which would trump a shitty bowl game in Charlotte, or San Antonio.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    It is the fan base.

A lot of the kids that signed last year, and are verballed up this year have been life long PSU fans.

They are trying to play in Ireland next year, which would trump a shitty bowl game in Charlotte, or San Antonio.
    Yes that would

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Tradition and Tradition alone. In The PA area these kids have dreamed of playing there, during their entire childhood.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

It is the fan base.

Excellent idea

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

It is the fan base.

They are not all life long Penn St fans though.....they are getting guys from all over the country

A meaningless Ireland game vs. UCF in September does not beat the anticipation of a big time bowl game

Basically there is no ceiling if you choose to play with Penn St.....No aspirations, no playing for a conference championship, nothing. You play the games on your schedule and then on to next year

Playing sports in high school and even in college I always played towards the goal of the postseason....That was the whole fun of it, how far we can make it in the postseason

Just seems dumb to voluntarily take that off of your plate when 10+ other schools don't have any restrictions and are just as big a name as Penn St or close enough

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    They are not all life long Penn St fans though.....they are getting guys from all over the country

A meaningless Ireland game vs. UCF in September does not beat the anticipation of a big time bowl game

Basically there is no ceiling if you choose to play with Penn St.....No aspirations, no playing for a conference championship, nothing. You play the games on your schedule and then on to next year

Playing sports in high school and even in college I always played towards the goal of the postseason....That was the whole fun of it, how far we can make it in the postseason

Just seems dumb to voluntarily take that off of your plate when 10+ other schools don't have any restrictions and are just as big a name as Penn St or close enough
    I'm w/ ya, I wouldn't be taking my talents there.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

The 2014 recruits are really only getting a one year ban. Most will redshirt their first year and then maybe play their sophomore season.

And while they are getting mid level guys, they've lost out on the two best guys in 2012 and 2013 that would probably have gone there in Noah Spence and Alex Anzalone.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

I just got drafted by the browns after playing 4 years at psu

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    The 2014 recruits are really only getting a one year ban. Most will redshirt their first year and then maybe play their sophomore season.

And while they are getting mid level guys, they've lost out on the two best guys in 2012 and 2013 that would probably have gone there in Noah Spence and Alex Anzalone.
    I get they're missing out on guys as expected, my beef is with the 4 star guys that could go almost anywhere else and choose Penn State......The bowl bans and Pedo State reputation can not be better than choosing Louisville or Michigan or Ohio State or Rutgers or wherever else

This 4 star WR from North Carolina for example, committed to Penn State as part of the 2014 class but had offers from Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, West Virginia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Notre Dame and more......How do you choose Penn St and the baggage along with it over those programs??

mik5058
    mik5058's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4654

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Where are you seeing this?

mik5058
    mik5058's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4654

Just saw your above post. You would think that the end goal of most of these players is making it to the NFL. So, with that being said, going to play for a coach that has coached some of the highest powered offenses in the NFL in recent years would figure to help these offensive players reach the next level.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mik5058 View Post
    Where are you seeing this?
    Chris Godwin WR Middletown, DEMiddletown 6'2" 202 4.5 4 stars 5.8 4/23/13 9 videos
    Michael O'Connor QB Bradenton, FLIMG Academy 6'5" 223 4 stars 5.8 6/8/13 9 videos
    De'Andre Thompkins WR Swansboro, NCSwansboro 5'11" 172 4.4 4 stars 5.8 4/20/13 7 videos
    Troy Vincent DB Baltimore, MDGilman School 5'10" 181 4 stars 5.8 6/26/13

Rivals.com
    Last edited by MoneyLineDawg; 07-09-13 at 03:56 PM.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mik5058 View Post
    Just saw your above post. You would think that the end goal of most of these players is making it to the NFL. So, with that being said, going to play for a coach that has coached some of the highest powered offenses in the NFL in recent years would figure to help these offensive players reach the next level.
    Look I get all that, there are great coaches and programs throughout the country though.....I just have trouble seeing how any player with a bunch of great college choices can decide on Penn State over them

I would be never voluntarily decide on Penn State being my alma mater to begin with......Out of all the schools in the country, you choose the ONE with the worst sports scandal and stigma ever seen? For what reason? Not to mention the loss of scholarships and bowl bans making it even harder to be successful as a team

Whatever, it's not my choice but I guess I will never understand how someone can voluntarily choose to become a Penn State player with many other great choices

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

if you arent playing in the national title game who cares about a friggin bowl game.....and if you arent playing for bama then your shot at being the other team is pretty slim....so who gives a shit.....bill obrien has experience running one of the best offenses in the nfl....he was named the national coach of the year when coming into one of the worst situations possible.....is it really a suprise that kids are buying what hes selling?
    Points Awarded:

bb_skoots gave bobby heenan 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    if you arent playing in the national title game who cares about a friggin bowl game.....and if you arent playing for bama then your shot at being the other team is pretty slim....so who gives a shit.....bill obrien has experience running one of the best offenses in the nfl....he was named the national coach of the year when coming into one of the worst situations possible.....is it really a suprise that kids are buying what hes selling?
    Bowl games are important and fun for the team and school........Also something to play for and a place for the team to enjoy themselves as a reward for the successful season

Winning your conference is also an accomplishment and something to play for every week

I get what you're saying, but why Penn St over a similar school with no restrictions or bad reputation? I understand kids that don't have any other big time offers, but kids who can go anywhere else is puzzling

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

maybe they like horse play in the shower
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie, and bb_skoots

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

Ped state might not get into bowls but their players will still go pro. Why be a recruit that has to wait to play when Ped is desperate for good talent and is still a big name

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

kids like haters

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    maybe they like horse play in the shower
    they like old wrinkled cawk

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

if you are a not quite top blue chip recruit skill position from Maryland or NC and want to make it to the NFL.

your thought process might look like this:

IF I go to the SEC I will be a 4th stringer, have to red shirt, and be nowhere near the fastest player on the team

IF I go to a top Big Ten team I will be a 2nd or 3rd stringer, maybe have to red shirt, and be one of the fastest players in the conference and get to go to some outback bowls

If I go to PSU, I get to start right away, maybe NOT have to redshirt and be one of the fastest players in the conference. and I get to go home to fok a bunch of girls over christmas break

GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

Penn State is Penn State. Too much money and tradition to be down for long

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    if you are a not quite top blue chip recruit skill position from Maryland or NC and want to make it to the NFL.

your thought process might look like this:

IF I go to the SEC I will be a 4th stringer, have to red shirt, and be nowhere near the fastest player on the team

IF I go to a top Big Ten team I will be a 2nd or 3rd stringer, maybe have to red shirt, and be one of the fastest players in the conference and get to go to some outback bowls

If I go to PSU, I get to start right away, maybe NOT have to redshirt and be one of the fastest players in the conference. and I get to go home to fok a bunch of girls over christmas break
    when was the last time penn st had the fastest player in the conference ? you mean the team?

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi, welcome to college sports.

First and last rule of big sports, is big money.

Once you understand that everyone is "cheating", it gets easier to wrap your head around. Especially considering I assume they have a huge base, with solid boosters, who want nothing more than to restore greatness.

Positive Penn St. is probably in bidding wars with OSU and Bama when it comes to getting recruits.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    when was the last time penn st had the fastest player in the conference ? you mean the team?
    I don't know when were the years that Justin King and Derrick Williams were on the team? Mid 2000's I think that was the last time I followed them and those guys were like 4.3 guys that both got to the NFL

after that I don't know

point isn't how fast have PSU players been recently... But why might a 4.3 40 kinda guy pick PSU over going to a big SEC or Big 12 school?

that speed will play very well in the big ten

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

MoneyLineDawg - I'm with you on this. I don't get it either. Division Title is your first goal. Naturally you want a better bowl too. And then a chance at a National Championship. If I was a young stud fresh out of high school Penn State would be my last choice. I'd rather play for Hawaii.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

75% of these guys have a main goal of playing professionally

to play professionally you need to be getting regular PT and starting

they'll go where they can be a top dawg in the program and have 3-4 years of starting without competition

If i'm a ghetto hood rat that can catch a ball and run a 4.4 my ONLY chance is to go and get notoriety because I get alot of snaps and perform.

I could win 4 conference titles and be a back up

and in 5 years i'm on the corner selling drugs, on my way to jail or hell FAST

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    MoneyLineDawg - I'm with you on this. I don't get it either. Division Title is your first goal. Naturally you want a better bowl too. And then a chance at a National Championship. If I was a young stud fresh out of high school Penn State would be my last choice. I'd rather play for Hawaii.
    Exactly man.....I understand getting playing time early and getting to the NFL but you can get that if you're good enough at plenty of other big schools across the nation. Even going to a mid-high level school like a Vanderbilt or something you can be the top dawg there and play right out of the gate without the dumb Penn State stigma and zero chance of postseason play

Maybe they are paying players......makes no sense why guys would choose Penn State when they can go to plenty of other big time programs

I'm just talking about top recruits by the way....I totally get the 3 star and below guys getting a chance to play at a big name school (Even though I wouldn't even do that if I were in their shoes)

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

are 5 star recruits going there? or are we talking 4 star?

how many 4 stars are there out there?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    are 5 star recruits going there? or are we talking 4 star?

how many 4 stars are there out there?
    A few 4 star guys are going there (4 already committed for 2014)......they have a solid recruiting class coming in this season as well (2013 class) including 5 star QB Hackenberg

Basically there are about 20 5 star guys a year, and then the next 200-300 guys are 4 stars throughout the country

Most 4 star guys get 10+ offers at big schools, sometimes more

3 star guys fill out the big programs' commits and are usually big gets for the small schools......Even some 3 star guys can have a choice between a few really good programs

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ambitions are nice. Making more in one hand shake, than your parent(s) make in a couple years is what seals the deal for a lot.

Stop trying to make this about anything else. Not at this level.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Ambitions are nice. Making more in one hand shake, than your parent(s) make in a couple years is what seals the deal for a lot.

Stop trying to make this about anything else. Not at this level.
    I know what goes on....have a friend heavily involved in Florida State football and with the players themselves

Not everyone gets paid big time like the old days (the few elite do) , there are just a lot of nice "perks" for the most part.....I guess the big recruits Penn St actually are landing could be, who knows

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

I didn't read each and every post, did anyone mention the education?

A PSU degree carries collasal clout in the coporate world
    If you weren't quite good enough to get a tryout in the NFL, but excelled in your studies at PSU, you should have no problems geting a nice job after graduaton

12 Last