seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Why is it assumed peyton manning will be a great coach/coordinator?

Joe montana was the saddest analyst I ever saw after being one of the best player I had ever seen. Great players are not necessarily good coaches, gm's, coordinators, etc.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Analyst and coach are pretty different.

There is no question that Peyton understands the game better than most. He is pretty much an offensive coordinator on the field already....he's almost proven his ability to coach in the way he prepares. That doesn't guarantee he'd be a coaching success, but he's got a great headstart.
    Points Awarded:

WillSmith gave WvGambler 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ttwarrior1, and marcoloco

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Someone who has proven they know their profession at an expert level (Pro Bowl, MVP, etc.) usually is given the benefit of the doubt as far as being able to translate that into a managerial role.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Kind of how Gretzky was an awesome coach....

You are as good as your team/luck.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

he does have the charisma though. speaking of montana, anyone remember how bad he was on Saturday Night live back in the day?

ShawNee922
    A fool thinks himself to be wise ..
    ShawNee922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 817

Montana is an 'invert' who just happened to be a decent QB placed in a position that made it hard to fail ...

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
    Someone who has proven they know their profession at an expert level (Pro Bowl, MVP, etc.) usually is given the benefit of the doubt as far as being able to translate that into a managerial role.

Deion Sanders, Charles Barkley, Emmitt Smith, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Mike Singletary, Jerry Rice, Marcus Allen, Dan Marino, Joe Montana to name a few. How many of them were talked about as coaches or coordinators before they retired and how many of them proved it? None. What makes Manning different? He is no better than ANY of these players in their primes, yet I don't hear any talk or any action to give them the benefit of the doubt. I would go as far as to say, Peyton would suck as a college coach or pro coach, because coaching is more than playing well in your day, oh so much more.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Fukk Peyton...

I'd want A.Peterson!!!

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post

There is no question that Peyton understands the game better than most. He is pretty much an offensive coordinator on the field already....he's almost proven his ability to coach in the way he prepares. That doesn't guarantee he'd be a coaching success, but he's got a great headstart.
    spot on

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post

Bill Belichick understands the game better than most also. He couldn't play a lick. Peyton's start would be a whole hell of a lot better than Belichick's but I will bet all that I have that he won't be a better coach than Belichick.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

what would make anyone think that a guy like manning would want to put in the hours/schedule of a coach or coordinator....its absurd imo to even think about the possibility.....hell work on tv cause hell want to be around the game...maybe even take a job in managing personnel......but hed never work as a fulltime coach/coordinator

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    what would make anyone think that a guy like manning would want to put in the hours/schedule of a coach or coordinator....its absurd imo to even think about the possibility.....hell work on tv cause hell want to be around the game...maybe even take a job in managing personnel......but hed never work as a fulltime coach/coordinator
    Agreed. Despite his understanding of the game. Could be the smartest, does not make him a good coach.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Agreed. Despite his understanding of the game. Could be the smartest, does not make him a good coach.
    ya...the amount of work isnt worth the amount of money for a guy like that

you see some baseball guys who were stars in the 80s/early 90s like sandberg tryna manage.....but that guy never made mega money...

mike schmidt was doing the managing thing for a minute then he literally said "i can make more money doing autograph shows".....beats toiling in the minors until youve proven you can be a successful big league manager

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Maybe just a QB coach.

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Peyton already is a good coach. So the question is already answered.

RyanLeafOfBets
    Team Dexter
    RyanLeafOfBets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Two reasons I think he'll be successful.

1: Dude has a high IQ (same with Eli)
    2: He knows the game, knows how to read coverage, blitzes, knows when to audible, etc.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLeafOfBets View Post
    Two reasons I think he'll be successful.

1: Dude has a high IQ (same with Eli)
    2: He knows the game, knows how to read coverage, blitzes, knows when to audible, etc.
    Cam cameron, bruce arians, and jason garrett have those same qualities, are they successful?

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

He's pretty much been the coordintator/QB for the last 8 yrs ... look what happened this yr

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    ya...the amount of work isnt worth the amount of money for a guy like that you see some baseball guys who were stars in the 80s/early 90s like sandberg tryna manage.....but that guy never made mega money... mike schmidt was doing the managing thing for a minute then he literally said "i can make more money doing autograph shows".....beats toiling in the minors until youve proven you can be a successful big league manager
    But managing baseball is way easier then coaching in the NFL...

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post

Bill Belichick understands the game better than most also. He couldn't play a lick. Peyton's start would be a whole hell of a lot better than Belichick's but I will bet all that I have that he won't be a better coach than Belichick.
    What does this have to do with Manning being a good coach. Belichick is better than most coaches, but that doesn't make the rest of them failures. I'm confused here maybe.

Jonah
    Jonah's Avatar Become A Pro!

I want to kick you in the balls for even asking this question...And Manning would be an amazing analyst as well.

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by YouMama View Post
    He's pretty much been the coordintator/QB for the last 8 yrs ... look what happened this yr
    Exactly. Tom Moore used to give Peyton 3 different plays on every single down and Peyton would pick one of the three plays based on his pre-snap reads. Announcers always exaggerate when they refer to a player as "another coach on the field", but Peyton was literally coach/player on the field.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    I want to kick you in the balls for even asking this question...And Manning would be an amazing analyst as well.
    Come on so you can go back with a short leg. Come up for air from peyton's nuts.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

[QUOTE=WvGambler;13437043]What does this have to do with Manning being a good coach. Belichick is better than most coaches, but that doesn't make the rest of them failures. I'm confused here

Peyton's headstart doesn't mean shit.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 01-25-12 at 05:52 PM.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Time to find out if Peyton can coach. Playing days are in the rearview mirror.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Refs came to play

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

How are you comparing being an analyst to being a coach.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is a good speaker and funny

He will be fine

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4149

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    How are you comparing being an analyst to being a coach.
    He would be a great analyst in the regular season and then turn into a blithering idiot in the playoffs.