Thoughts on Phil Rivers?

This article was on espn.com today

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...ory?id=5926472

I'd like to hear the forum's take....

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

i dont personally care for phillip rivers. Football is a game where numbers can lie. He puts up great stats, but until he wins something or they make a super bowl , i could really care less.

cowboyfan08
    cowboyfan08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

BOY CANT CARRY DANS JOCK STRAP!

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

dont like him that much but great qb

dolphinvann
    dolphinvann's Avatar Become A Pro!

No one, I repeat, no one..is a bigger Dan Marino fan than me. I grew up with the man, and I didn't miss one game of his for the entire course of his work. Marino would have thrown for 7,000 yards with all the bias that receivers get and the rule changes favoring offense. Rivers is a great one, but he is no Dan Marino. Its not even a debate. IMHO, lol.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

I hate these Fantasy comparisons. Philip Rivers is Philip Rivers. I don't know why they bother comparing him to Marino or anyone else. What happens if Rivers wins a ring, then do they start comparing him to Phil Simms? I just don't get it.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    I hate these Fantasy comparisons. Philip Rivers is Philip Rivers. I don't know why they bother comparing him to Marino or anyone else. What happens if Rivers wins a ring, then do they start comparing him to Phil Simms? I just don't get it.
    That's a good point.

I think it's a stupid things journalists do because they are too lazy to come up with a real perspective.

I think Rivers has been the victim of his stats and poor coaching.

Norv Turner costs this team every year.

San Diego's defense has never made big plays in key moments in the playoffs like NE/Pitt and the usual winners do. And when the Chargers defense does make a big play, a receiver fumbles, the kick returner muffs one, etc.

I am of the opinion that Rivers is cursed. I don't think he will ever win the Superbowl. And I don't think it will ever be his fault. Kind of like I don't think it was John Stockton's fault the Jazz never won a title. He just came along when Jordan's Bulls were at the top of their game and his teams always seemed to get a key injury or lose a quality player to free agency. But I still think John Stockton is the best pure point guard to ever play in the NBA. Best I've seen anyway.

I think Rivers is a great QB. He's better than Eli Manning. He's just not as lucky. He's better than Roethlisberger, but doesn't have the clutch D. I think Brady is better, he's just as clutch as they come. I do think Brady has had the luxury of some great coaching and defense, but there's no denying his touch with the ball coming down the stretch.

I give the nod to Rivers over Peyton. Manning is a choke artist. The Colts only won that Superbowl because of huge plays by his defense and the fact the opposing team's QB was Rex frickin' Grossman. If the Colts D had failed to show up against the Bears and fallen on Peyton the way the Chargers so often seem to fall flat and hope Rivers will rescue them, then the Bears would have won. And thank god that didn't happen. Because it'd be the worst Superbowl winning team in history. He choked against the Saints too.

I do think winning is important, but let's face it, who's really going to put Terry Bradshaw anywhere near the top five of the all time list? And Jim Kelly is probably a borderline hall of famer in most people's eyes despite four straight AFC Championships.

Rivers to me is the best in the game right now other than Brady. And I'd like to see what he could do with a coach like Belichek.

Thoughts on that?

Betting Guru
    Bookie Busting!
    Betting Guru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

I really can't stand the way he carries himself, but his stats show that he is a good quarterback. Though I can't stand watching him throw the ball, like he is pushing it...
    Points Awarded:

jtroywall gave Betting Guru 8 SBR Point(s) for this post.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Betting Guru View Post
    I really can't stand the way he carries himself, but his stats show that he is a good quarterback. Though I can't stand watching him throw the ball, like he is pushing it...
    Yeah, his throwing motion has never been a pretty sight.

Although I think this "how he carries himself" stuff is a load of BS. So he talks trash? So what? He's a fiery dude. Would anyone say jack about this if he were a safety or linebacker? Why can't a QB have some passion? I'd rather him act like that than Huckleberry Hound "we've got problems with protection" sad panda Peyton Manning. And what about Brady? He whines to the officials like a European soccer player. I guess that's what happens when you've got the same hair cut.