Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

Overtime and the Coin Toss Debate

After the weekends Seahawks/Broncos game is decided in Overtime the debate is on regarding should the rules and procedures be changed for Overtime. I for one do not like the current procedure and would like to have the NFL look into alternatives.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

the games are incredibly long already, so flip a coin and someone try to score. if you can't play defense you lose. it seems fair to me. not trying to be argumentative just giving opinion

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

I feel that both teams should be given equal chance with the ball on offense. Just because the team with the ball first scores it shouldn't mean game over. The other team should be given a chance to match the score. IMO

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    I feel that both teams should be given equal chance with the ball on offense. Just because the team with the ball first scores it shouldn't mean game over. The other team should be given a chance to match the score. IMO
    which would result in an unfair advantage anyway cuz if first team scores td, the other team knows its 4 down territory every possession

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonae101 View Post
    which would result in an unfair advantage anyway cuz if first team scores td, the other team knows its 4 down territory every possession
    which is why the coin toss is given. So the winner can choose ball first or second.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Sudden death was the best. This aint college its the big boy league. If your D can't keep a team out of Field Goal range after kicking off to them that's on you.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I agree with Mikail here, each team should get one possession. It seems to me the CFL is the only league that gets overtime right, each team gets one possession under regulation rules (as opposed to starting at 25 like in college), and THEN if tied after each team has had one possession, it becomes sudden death. All the NFL needs to add is allowing the other team to get a chance following a touchdown as well as a field goal and the rules would be perfect.

LT Profits

If the rule was each team gets one possession, teams would elect to kick off instead of receive as Mikail just alluded to.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Sudden death was the best. This aint college its the big boy league. If your D can't keep a team out of Field Goal range after kicking off to them that's on you.
    Disagree totally, put too much emphasis on coin toss. NFL took a step in the right direction with the change, but I think it needs to go all the way with it.

SharpAngles

IMO if you can't beat a team after 60 minutes crying about a coin toss is silly. Maybe the teams are that closely matched that a coin toss should decide it so we can move on to the next one.

LT Profits

IMO if you can't beat a team after 60 minutes crying about a coin toss is silly. Maybe the teams are that closely matched that a coin toss should decide it so we can move on to the next one.
    Who cares about moving on to the next one, let's get more concerned with deciding this one fairly. And I think the fairest way is guaranteeing each team gets one possession. Some guys are too concerned about the length of the games, that doesn't bother me at all. Hell, I would even get rid of the one period only and then its a tie, I say keep playing until somebody wins.

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    If the rule was each team gets one possession, teams would elect to kick off instead of receive as Mikail just alluded to.
    he's saying that the way it currently stands the winner of the toss has an advantage, if rules were changed where both teams get a possession, it would still result in an advantage to the winner of the toss

LT Profits

he's saying that the way it currently stands the winner of the toss has an advantage, if rules were changed where both teams get a possession, it would still result in an advantage to the winner of the toss
    But it would be a strategic advantage and not a direct game-determining one. Big Difference.

SharpAngles

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Who cares about moving on to the next one, let's get more concerned with deciding this one fairly. And I think the fairest way is guaranteeing each team gets one possession. Some guys are too concerned about the length of the games, that doesn't bother me at all. Hell, I would even get rid of the one period only and then its a tie, I say keep playing until somebody wins.
    C'mon LT. Since when is life fair? What if Team A gets a fluke play or a bad ref decision to tie the game at the end? Sounds unfair that the better Team B got screwed so we better look at those rules too. If one team was that much better the game would be decided after 60.

I was being snarky about the length of the games, but the large population of casual fans the NFL needs to keep printing money actually do care and in turn the NFL and its sponsors do too. Not to mention the athletes that are taking the beatings for extra plays and more excitement. I think a lot of people in the league would rather have it the good old way and move on.

MCherry281
    MCherry281's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah, the CFL has it right. Both teams definitely deserve a possession and then sudden death is fine. The NFL will eventually get it right. All it takes is a playoff game to end in OT without a team getting a possession and then there will be a big uproar. With the strict penalties on the passing game it's too easy for offenses to score if they really go for it. Teams are doing the field possession, run, and punt stuff early in the game but when the game is on the line they go to the air.

thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

They should tweak a little bit to the current rules they have now....after the TD other team gets a chance but not to tie just win and that is by scoring a TD of their own and then compulsory 2 point conversion (from the 2 yard line or maybe 5 yard line)

This would be fair imo because the toin coss is too favorable for the team that wins the toss. After 60 mins of play it's normally the Defense that is most tired so obviously the team with the ball has a better chance to score a TD.
    Football has two aspects Offense and defence so if the game is over at that point the defense of the scoring team isn't being tested which in my opinion is wrong....you want to win the game? Show that you are/were superior on both sides

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

just think if things were fair......the whole Tebow mania could have been nipped in the bud.

won a playoff game

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7882

I think it's great the way it is. It's a great hybrid of the old way and the CFL way. I think if you can merely get it in field goal range, then all that really ever wins in overtime is field goals, and that to me isn't very exciting. I would call that unfair in the sense that if that's all you can muster, then the other team should get a shot. But if you give up a touchdown, then screw you, game over. At that point, life is not fair.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7882

You have to throw most of the "fair" or "unfair" crap out the window if after 60 minutes of play, neither one of you nitwit teams can seem to win this thing. Flip a coin, get the ball, and you have to get a REAL SCORE or the other team gets the ball.

LT Profits

C'mon LT. Since when is life fair? What if Team A gets a fluke play or a bad ref decision to tie the game at the end? Sounds unfair that the better Team B got screwed so we better look at those rules too. If one team was that much better the game would be decided after 60.

I was being snarky about the length of the games, but the large population of casual fans the NFL needs to keep printing money actually do care and in turn the NFL and its sponsors do too. Not to mention the athletes that are taking the beatings for extra plays and more excitement. I think a lot of people in the league would rather have it the good old way and move on.
    Having fluke plays during the game is one thing. Shit happens, you have to live with it. But that is not what we are talking about here, we are talking about what are the fairest RULES to determine an OT winner.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

College rules (dual+ possessions, not the starting field positions tho) would be a big upgrade. OR, how about a true continuation of the fourth quarter, ie team A has the ball on the 50, 2nd down when regulation ran out, so they resume OT on the 50 on 3rd down?

Boys, let me just say I'm having a manhattan or five while I unwind here after a shitty 14.5 hour day of work & school (just failed a test in my MBA finance class). So my idea may not be as fantastic on SBR as it is in my head right now.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just do it like hockey. Play one full period. If it's still tied, go to a kick-off. Kicker starts from the 20 and goes back five yards until one misses and the other makes. NFL Shootout.

thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Just do it like hockey. Play one full period. If it's still tied, go to a kick-off. Kicker starts from the 20 and goes back five yards until one misses and the other makes. NFL Shootout.
    Fantastic! Shoot outs are always fun for the crowd and at the end of the day that is what the NFL wants...

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

What's wrong with ties? Works in soccer. Screw overtime. The games are already 3.5 hrs long without overtime!

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    What's wrong with ties? Works in soccer. Screw overtime. The games are already 3.5 hrs long without overtime!
    No Pavy. No ties. In the U.S we have winners and losers.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    No Pavy. No ties. In the U.S we have winners and losers.
    They have ties in NFL. Read the rules book.

If both teams get the chance to score TDs there will be more ties. Cause no one is scoring again in 15 min after 2 long drives to score TDs.

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They have ties in NFL.
    yes they do and I hate it!

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

im fine with ties actually over the incredibly stupid system they have now

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Only losers complain.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

Best OT procedure would be a three-round boxing match between the QBs.

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

Needs to be like college

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

The best solution is 10 minutes of clock.
    Fixes everything. Put the clock back where it belongs,
    stop it with the coin flip no-time possessions.
    If no victor after additional 10 minutes, sudden death
    with only TD's and Safeties allowed.
    That will bring back the 4th down.
    Last edited by Snowball; 09-24-14 at 07:16 AM.

POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 586

For me, the problem is the coin flip. Do away with that. Go back to sudden death. Home team always gets the choice to kick/receive. It's part of home field advantage. The only neutral field game of they season, the Super Bowl, should be treated like a playoff game. The "home" team is the team with the better record. If they have the same record, look at head to head, division record, blah blah.

Venom OG
    Venom OG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 514

It's clear the best solution is to have no overtime at all. Just leave tie games as ties. If two teams play even over the course of a 60 minute game, what fairer result could there be than a tie?

For the playoffs, after the clock hits 0:00, teams should play on without a clock until the next team scores, and then the ball game is over.

Easy.

12 Last