odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3213

Bill Belichick does something smart = Dog bites man

Pick that is both "safe" and has huge upside and then makes what is clearly the best move of the first round draft: Turning a late first round pick into a (probably) late first round pick and a FREE 2nd round pick. Only because of the jealousy/hate of the Patriots is this not getting much more play.

Get ready for him to take advantage of someone else again tonight. Sitting in the cat birds seat with that 1st pick tonight.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

He said he's already been contacted by several teams about the first pick tonight... its looking like the Pats might pick up a 3rd first rounder for next year LOL

In Bill I Trust

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Don't want to see them drop more than 5 spots in 2nd round if they give up pick 33.

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

Ya you really have to put your trust in Bill. Which is pretty easy.

Badgers13
    Badgers13's Avatar Become A Pro!

He is the best "drafter" of all time

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

I love having the 1st pick of round 2.

Overnight is a long time for GM's to think and worry about losing (their guy). Pick #1 of round 2 is good currency to get a 1st rounder next year ( which could end up real nice) or pick up say a 3rd rounder for free.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Terrible picks on the two running backs by Belichick. Everything else is good so far. I like Mallett a lot -- great value pick.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

New England needs a running back. Danny Woodcock is a system guy and the only reason he did anything was because the shotgun passing game opened up the draw/run game for the shifty Wood rooster.

The thing that I loved about BB last night is he said we are bringing in these guys to COMPETE. It's not like you are just drafting a guy in round 1 and saying you are going to be our Quarterback/Tight end/Right Tackle of the future... They throw that guy out there to compete. Ryan Mallot will compete with the other backup quarterbacks... The two running backs will compete with each other.

If you are a team that has a hole I love spending 2 picks on that position and letting guys fight it out. The 3rd round guy with the 5th round guy and so on. You have a higher chance of filling that need and getting the most out of that guy.

When you just make a guy "the man" or the franchise position X you get busts. Did Jamarcus Russell ever think anybody was going to take his job from him his first couple years in the league?

Jimmy Johnson had the same philosophy and always loved trading down and getting QUANTITY and letting guys fight it out. He build up Dallas for a dominant run in the 90's and he build up a strong Miami defense that lasted for years with guys like Zak Thomas and Jason Taylor who fell in the draft. Those guys are hungry and fight for their jobs just like those running backs for the Patriots will fight for their jobs.

Scottish
    Scottish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    Terrible picks on the two running backs by Belichick. Everything else is good so far. I like Mallett a lot -- great value pick.
    Yeah cause some guy from a forum knows better than Belichick

Its quite obvious that none of the 3-4 passrushers are thought highly of both the Patriots and Jets needed one badly and neither took one.