trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273623

i did not write this a great poster at rx did several years ICAUITUA ago but its worth really understanding...

It's 300-1, and over $600.00 for W2G, and over $5000 for withholding, but all tickets of same bet type are supposed to be combined.

It's easy to determine, just follow these steps:

1.) Is the wager over 300-1? If yes go to step 2, if no not reported
    2.) Is the combined payout for all bets of that type over $600? If yes go to step 3, If no, not reported
    3.) Is the combined payout for all bets of that type over $600, but less than $4,999.99? If yes, than W2G, IF no step 4
    4.) Is the combined payouts for all bets of that type over $5000.00? If yes than W2G and withholding of federal taxes and state taxes if your state has them

That is the disadvantage of using an ADW site like twispires, xpressbet, betamerica, etc etc, NYRA instead of having actual physical tickets... Ex: Pick 3 pays $344 for $1, and you have two physical tickets, you can cash them at SAM machine and walk away with voucher for $688 and no tax repercussions. If you bet on NYRA account, the computer system will aggregate your winnings for that bet and because it's over $600 AND 300-1 the computer will generate a W2G. Computer betting accounts make it harder to beat the system..

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19215

Good comments, gentlemen, keep 'em coming.

--------------------------------------

I requested that Sam Houston Race Park be added to the SBR Racebook. Still waiting for an answer..... (Delta Downs is another that should be in there)....

--------------------------------------

Today, actually, yesterday, now, I played Turf Paradise in the SBR Racebook. Points not dollars. I hit a 155 pt Exacta to start out in Race #1. I spent the rest of the card going after Trifectas. I missed a lot of Exactas going after the Trifecta. Three times I had the Exacta but lost because I bet it as a Trifecta. These were good paying Exactas, too. Man, I hate that. Sometimes I will bet the Trifecta box leaning on the favorites and in the same race add the longer shots in an Exacta box. Quite often this results in a "split" where two of the in-the-money horses are in the Tri-box and the other is in the Exacta box. That is frustrating and happens a lot. Obviously, not very efficient betting and I think the only way to avoid it is to "not box" and to play it manually, i.e. 4,5/4,5/2,3,6,8 - something like that although even in that approach, it would seem that one could have the wrong order just as often. I would appreciate other approaches to this scenario.....

---------------------------------------

Touts/Gurus/Experts picks - you see them a lot in the PP's and dailys... While I mostly ignore them, they can often serve to point out a horse I may have overlooked or didn't consider. I played Oaklawn a lot recently and the DRF person for Oaklawn is one Mary Rampellini. I graded her over about a 3 week period and her picks would hit (in-the-money horses) anywhere from 42% to 74%. She would pick 3 horses in each race and most of the time, she averaged around 60%. Not too bad.... actually better than some of the gents I have seen..
    Last edited by Arky; 04-14-15 at 03:17 AM.

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO

Off topic but in the anything-can-happen department:

Watched this live today at Gulfstream, 3rd race. (Go to 1:28 if you want to get skip the beginning of the race)

The way I see it, coming down the stretch, the #3 Gotachancetodance (7:2) appeared to be cruising to victory when he inexplicably started to veer left. It looked like the jockey bailed (a straight on shot later shows this) and the horse somehow crashes through the railing. If you watch closely on the replay, you'll see a piece of railing slam into the #1 horse. Both jockeys were later reported to be OK with one going to the hospital to get checked out. Both jockeys had replacements the rest of the day. Not one peep about the horses...... Wish they would have been more informative...

I hit the monster exacta (pts, not dollars) because of this but really had some mixed emotions....
    Last edited by Arky; 04-22-15 at 06:03 PM.

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

I had the 3 singled to kick off the pick 6!

Thankfully ( I suppose ) I missed another leg too

Sick_in_the_Head
    Tx Rangers bitch!
    Sick_in_the_Head's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2826

I'm getting into horse racing and I'm still learning some obvious things.

If I were to bet "place" or "show" on a say a 18-1 or a 8-1 horse, what would the pay out be? I know its not always the same because of the pool and stuff but what would a rough estimate or a good way to determine what a pay out would be on a "place" or "show"?

TIA

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_in_the_Head View Post
    I'm getting into horse racing and I'm still learning some obvious things.

If I were to bet "place" or "show" on a say a 18-1 or a 8-1 horse, what would the pay out be? I know its not always the same because of the pool and stuff but what would a rough estimate or a good way to determine what a pay out would be on a "place" or "show"?

TIA
    Like you say, it depends on the pool but an 8-1 horse to Show would almost certainly double your money ($2 bet wins $4), maybe triple it. I make this particular bet quite often. Of course, the tricky part is to be right. An 18-1 horse to show would have much more payout but has less chance of coming in. A place bet on both would be incrementally better but you're reducing your chances of the horse coming in-the-money. Of course, a Win bet pays the most but is toughest to hit with an 8-1 or an 18-1 horse...

First 12