mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

finally....baseball is here....been bored like crazy since football ended.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    Still some good action today, but the full slate of Spring Training games begins tomorrow...
    Got to Love It....

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post

Blue Jays starting pitcher Johan Santana is slated to start a throwing program Tuesday, as he is scheduled to play catch, according to the National Post.
    Santana, who suffered a torn Achilles in June, was shut down in January after having some shoulder discomfort while pitching in the Venezuelan winter league.

Blue Jays are crazy for wasting time and money on this guy.
    Little risk, he's not getting much at all.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11165

What's Boston's Opening Day starting OF going to be? Will they move Victorino and how much time will Rusney/Mookie get if not?

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    What's Boston's Opening Day starting OF going to be? Will they move Victorino and how much time will Rusney/Mookie get if not?
    Good question. Looks like a lot of answers will come during Spring Training...

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

To move him, Dodgers offering to pay down Ethier's contract by half

March 4, 2015 10:14 pm ET

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Dodgers have offered to pay down "about half" the $56 million remaining over three years on Andre Ethier's contract in efforts to trade him, sources familiar with the talks say.
    Ethier appears to be the likely odd man out in a slightly less crowded Dodgers outfield situation, with coveted rookie Joc Pederson most likely to join Carl Crawford and Yasiel Puig as starters, and Ethier already this spring has expressed interest in being traded if he isn't starting.
    Well, as luck would have it, the team has been trying all winter.
    Their offer to pay down the contract to the point where Ethier is making only about $10 million a year, or perhaps a bit less than that, may seem more than reasonable. But it apparently hasn't enticed teams to the point of a trade.
    The Braves paid Nick Markakis $45 million over four years, and while Markakis might seem like a comparable player (and one who's coming off neck surgery), Ethier didn't have his usual year in 2014, as playing time issues caught up with him. Ethier had just four home runs and 42 RBI to go with a .249 batting average.
    The Orioles would seem to be a logical spot for Ethier with Nelson Cruz and Markakis both leaving via free agency, but it isn't known how strong potential O's interest may be. The Blue Jays would appear to have outfield questions but they are not involved with Ethier as they believe Michael Saunders could be back in a few weeks.
    The Dodgers had an overcrowding issue in the outfield all last year, and they alleviated some of it by dealing Matt Kemp to the rival Padres. While the Dodgers agreed to pay down $32 million of the $107 million remaining on Kemp's deal, they also acquired a few players for Kemp, including Yasmani Grandal, who's expected to handle the bulk of the catching in LA. this year. But while Kemp had a big second half, Ethier's role diminished.
    Etheir suggested upon arriving in spring he hopes to have a legitimate shot to win a spot in the Dodgers outfield, but barring injury, that would seem like a long shot. The Dodgers seem to want to give Pederson, an extremely athletic youngster and the best center fielder in their stable, a chance. The one question about Pederson that remains is whether he can make enough contact; he struck out a lot in the minors.
    Pederson is off to a quick start this spring. Pederson, operating as the DH, had hits his first two times up in the Dodgers' spring opener vs. the White Sox. Not too much should be concluded based on one game, but Ethier looked awkward failing to corral a deep fly that bounced off his glove went for a double off the bat of new White Sox Adam LaRoche, and he struck out in both his at-bats.
    Ethier is heading into the third year of his $85-million, five-year contract.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Blue Jays starting pitcher Johan Santana is slated to start a throwing program Tuesday, as he is scheduled to play catch, according to the National Post.
    Santana, who suffered a torn Achilles in June, was shut down in January after having some shoulder discomfort while pitching in the Venezuelan winter league.

Blue Jays are crazy for wasting time and money on this guy.

sharp

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

I'm really looking forward to watching Kang this year. He'll fill in nicely once Walker is gone...

I like Mercer. He's becoming a top MLB shortstop...
    spring training HR in his first game!

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Hanrahan needs elbow surgery again

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Detroit Tigers have released Joel Hanrahan from a minor league contract and said the right-hander will have his second Tommy John surgery March 18.
    [+] EnlargeAP Photo/Gene J. PuskarJoel Hanrahan had agreed to a minor league extension with the Tigers in November.

Hanrahan had his right elbow ligament replaced in May 2013 while with Boston, when he also had his right flexor tendon repaired. Detroit signed him to a one-year, $1 million contract in May, but he never appeared in a game. The Tigers agreed in November to a minor league contract for $18,000 a month with a provision for a $1 million deal if he made the 40-man roster.

His fastball averaged 97-98 mph before he got hurt. Manager Brad Ausmus said before Wednesday's game with the Baltimore Orioles that Hanrahan could have helped the Tigers if he had been healthy.

"He's going to get the surgery, rehab and reconsider what's next on his agenda -- whether he's going to try and play again or not," Ausmus said.
    Hanrahan is 22-18 with a 3.85 ERA and 100 saves in seven seasons with Washington, Pittsburgh and Boston.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11165

Good question. Looks like a lot of answers will come during Spring Training...
    I'm pulling to dump Victorino and really want Mookie to get an everyday role. He's in the running to be a keeper for me in Fantasy.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    Hanrahan needs elbow surgery again

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Detroit Tigers have released Joel Hanrahan from a minor league contract and said the right-hander will have his second Tommy John surgery March 18.
    [+] EnlargeAP Photo/Gene J. PuskarJoel Hanrahan had agreed to a minor league extension with the Tigers in November.

Hanrahan had his right elbow ligament replaced in May 2013 while with Boston, when he also had his right flexor tendon repaired. Detroit signed him to a one-year, $1 million contract in May, but he never appeared in a game. The Tigers agreed in November to a minor league contract for $18,000 a month with a provision for a $1 million deal if he made the 40-man roster.

His fastball averaged 97-98 mph before he got hurt. Manager Brad Ausmus said before Wednesday's game with the Baltimore Orioles that Hanrahan could have helped the Tigers if he had been healthy.

"He's going to get the surgery, rehab and reconsider what's next on his agenda -- whether he's going to try and play again or not," Ausmus said.
    Hanrahan is 22-18 with a 3.85 ERA and 100 saves in seven seasons with Washington, Pittsburgh and Boston.
    Love the new hats!

I remember when this guy used to be lights out when he closed for the Buccos!

Sad to hear about his recent injuries...

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Hunter Pence (SF Giants) out 6-8 weeks with a broken forearm suffered during a HBP yesterday.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Hunter Pence (SF Giants) out 6-8 weeks with a broken forearm suffered during a HBP yesterday.
    ouch!!!

EmpireMaker

Odds to Win the 2015 AL East
    Boston Red Sox, 2-1
    Baltimore Orioles, 7-2
    Toronto Blue Jays, 11-4
    New York Yankees, 9-2
    Tampa Bay Rays, 7-1
    I know the Rays have sloughed off quite a bit of talent in recent months (in addition to losing their manager), but I think giving them the worst odds in the division -- by a comfortable margin -- undersells them in 2015. I don't expect them to win the AL East, but at those odds I'd bite. FanGraphs, for instance, projects the Rays for the third-most wins in the division and a non-negligible 13.3 percent chance of taking the flag.
    Odds to Win the 2015 AL Central
    Chicago White Sox, 9-4
    Detroit Tigers, 9-4
    Kansas City Royals, 9-2
    Cleveland Indians, 12-5
    Minnesota Twins, 18-1
    The White Sox have been provably upgraded this offseason, but let's bear in mind that they're working from an 89-loss baseline. Better? Yes. The co-favorites in a very balanced AL Central? I have my doubts. In said AL Central, I'd be all over the Indians at 12-5. I'm picking them to the division, anyway.
    Odds to Win the AL West
    Los Angeles Angels, 8-5
    Seattle Mariners, 8-5
    Oakland Athletics, 9-2
    Texas Rangers, 6-1
    Houston Astros, 16-1
    I don't have strong feelings about this one. I think the Mariners will win the West, but there's the potential for compression at the top. I wouldn't come near the Rangers at 6-1.
    Odds to Win the NL East
    Washington Nationals, 1-3
    New York Mets, 5-1
    Miami Marlins, 6-1
    Atlanta Braves, 16-1
    Philadelphia Phillies, 50-1
    In terms of ordering, I'd peg the Marlins ahead of the Mets, but there's very little drama here. Yes, the Nats at 1-3 sounds about right. I'd bet the Phillies at 50-1 before I'd bet the Braves at 16-1, but, really, I wouldn't bet either one.
    Odds to Win the NL Central
    St. Louis Cardinals, 5-4
    Chicago Cubs, 5-2
    Pittsburgh Pirates, 11-4
    Cincinnati Reds, 12-1
    Milwaukee Brewers, 12-1
    The Cardinals are the obvious favorites, but a flyer on the Pirates at 11-4 would be a reasonable play. My feelings about the Cubs -- I like them in 2016 and beyond but think they're a bit of an oversell in the here and now -- are laid out above. They're a third-place team in the mix for the second NL wild card berth, not the division crown.
    Odds to Win the NL West
    Los Angeles Dodgers, 1-2
    San Diego Padres, 7-2
    San Francisco Giants, 7-2
    Arizona Diamondbacks, 33-1
    Colorado Rockies, 50-1
    Without question, I'm picking the Dodgers to win the division, but 1-2 seems a bit steep. No to the Padres at 7-2. The Rockies at 50-1? If you're in the mood for a longshot, I don't mind this one, on the off chance that Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez are somehow, a, healthy and in vintage form, and, b, not traded. Again, “longshot” is the operative word.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Anybody find an excellent site for spring training lineups & probable pitchers.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

To move him, Dodgers offering to pay down Ethier's contract by half

March 4, 2015 10:14 pm ET

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Dodgers have offered to pay down "about half" the $56 million remaining over three years on Andre Ethier's contract in efforts to trade him, sources familiar with the talks say.
    Ethier appears to be the likely odd man out in a slightly less crowded Dodgers outfield situation, with coveted rookie Joc Pederson most likely to join Carl Crawford and Yasiel Puig as starters, and Ethier already this spring has expressed interest in being traded if he isn't starting.
    Well, as luck would have it, the team has been trying all winter.
    Their offer to pay down the contract to the point where Ethier is making only about $10 million a year, or perhaps a bit less than that, may seem more than reasonable. But it apparently hasn't enticed teams to the point of a trade.
    The Braves paid Nick Markakis $45 million over four years, and while Markakis might seem like a comparable player (and one who's coming off neck surgery), Ethier didn't have his usual year in 2014, as playing time issues caught up with him. Ethier had just four home runs and 42 RBI to go with a .249 batting average.
    The Orioles would seem to be a logical spot for Ethier with Nelson Cruz and Markakis both leaving via free agency, but it isn't known how strong potential O's interest may be. The Blue Jays would appear to have outfield questions but they are not involved with Ethier as they believe Michael Saunders could be back in a few weeks.
    The Dodgers had an overcrowding issue in the outfield all last year, and they alleviated some of it by dealing Matt Kemp to the rival Padres. While the Dodgers agreed to pay down $32 million of the $107 million remaining on Kemp's deal, they also acquired a few players for Kemp, including Yasmani Grandal, who's expected to handle the bulk of the catching in LA. this year. But while Kemp had a big second half, Ethier's role diminished.
    Etheir suggested upon arriving in spring he hopes to have a legitimate shot to win a spot in the Dodgers outfield, but barring injury, that would seem like a long shot. The Dodgers seem to want to give Pederson, an extremely athletic youngster and the best center fielder in their stable, a chance. The one question about Pederson that remains is whether he can make enough contact; he struck out a lot in the minors.
    Pederson is off to a quick start this spring. Pederson, operating as the DH, had hits his first two times up in the Dodgers' spring opener vs. the White Sox. Not too much should be concluded based on one game, but Ethier looked awkward failing to corral a deep fly that bounced off his glove went for a double off the bat of new White Sox Adam LaRoche, and he struck out in both his at-bats.
    Ethier is heading into the third year of his $85-million, five-year contract.
    That's not enough. I wouldn't take him for half price.

EmpireMaker

His fastball touched 99 mph, and he dropped in a cruel 84 mph curve that buckled a batter's knees. He went two perfect innings, throwing 25 pitches total, and joked with his manager that he was good for at least a couple more. In his first action in 18 months, and since undergoing Tommy John surgery, New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey looked every bit as dominant as he did before he blew out his elbow. Maybe better.
    Harvey's performance was great news for all concerned Friday in Grapefruit League play, his first outing since Aug. 24, 2013. It's true that the Tigers did not use their best hitters — Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Yoenis Cespedes, J.D. Martinez or Ian Kinsler stayed back in Lakeland, Fla. — but Harvey would have been formidable, it appeared, against any major league lineup.
    With 98 mph heat, he struck out the first batter he faced, Anthony Gose, and with a filthy looking curveball, he caught Bryan Holoday looking to end the second inning. Harvey hasn't thrown the curve much in the majors, but he's also said he's working on making it a better pitch. What do you think?

Matt Harvey filthy good in Mets spring debut and Tommy John return

By David Brown | Baseball Writer

March 6, 2015 3:00 pm ET

Matt Harvey returns -- with a vengeance. (USATSI)His fastball touched 99 mph, and he dropped in a cruel 84 mph curve that buckled a batter's knees. He went two perfect innings, throwing 25 pitches total, and joked with his manager that he was good for at least a couple more. In his first action in 18 months, and since undergoing Tommy John surgery, New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey looked every bit as dominant as he did before he blew out his elbow. Maybe better.
    Harvey's performance was great news for all concerned Friday in Grapefruit League play, his first outing since Aug. 24, 2013. It's true that the Tigers did not use their best hitters — Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Yoenis Cespedes, J.D. Martinez or Ian Kinsler stayed back in Lakeland, Fla. — but Harvey would have been formidable, it appeared, against any major league lineup.
    With 98 mph heat, he struck out the first batter he faced, Anthony Gose, and with a filthy looking curveball, he caught Bryan Holoday looking to end the second inning. Harvey hasn't thrown the curve much in the majors, but he's also said he's working on making it a better pitch. What do you think?
    Harvey told reporters at Legends Field in Port St. Lucie, Fla:
    "I wasn't really expecting to have a curveball like that. ... I was feeling it, so I had to drop it in."
    His comment is almost as filthy as the stuff it describes. Here's a video rundown of Harvey's afternoon:
    Your browser does not support iframes.
    Overall, the results made Harvey happy. Via Metsblog:
    “Things felt good, so the fact that I had surgery is out of my mind,” he told reporters after leaving the game. “I'm excited. I'm not going to deny that I'm excited about being back.”
    Great news for the Mets, for Harvey and for baseball (except when your team plays against them).

I'm drafting him for some my fantasy teams ( maybe most of them, depending on how high he is going) and as a lifetime Mets fan, this is great news.

EmpireMaker

Harvey tied that catcher (the batter) up in knots with that curve ball.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

wow 99mph already

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Jon Lester pitches 2 sharp innings

MESA, Ariz. -- In front of the largest spring training crowd ever, new Chicago Cubs pitcher Jon Lester threw as advertised on Friday, facing the minimum in his two-inning debut in a Cubs uniform.

Lester got ahead of all but one Cincinnati Reds batter while striking out three in front of 15,331. He gave up one hit, a broken-bat single to Chris Dominguez in the second inning, which was quickly erased by a double-play ball. Lester threw so efficiently he wrapped up his day with a few more tosses in the bullpen.
    [+] EnlargeJoe Camporeale/USA TODAY SportsJon Lester dazzled in his first spring start for the Cubs, facing the minimum against the Reds.

"Usually the first one you're getting taken out (due to a pitch count) but today I was able to fill the strike zone up," Lester said. "The first one is always tough. Now you just build and look forward to the next one."

It didn't look tough as Lester threw 24 pitches, including 20 strikes. Between the first and second innings he struck out three consecutive batters: Brandon Phillips, Todd Frazier and Jay Bruce.

==============

This sucks that the Reds & Bucs will have to face this guy several times this season....

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

His fastball touched 99 mph, and he dropped in a cruel 84 mph curve that buckled a batter's knees. He went two perfect innings, throwing 25 pitches total, and joked with his manager that he was good for at least a couple more. In his first action in 18 months, and since undergoing Tommy John surgery, New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey looked every bit as dominant as he did before he blew out his elbow. Maybe better.

Matt Harvey filthy good in Mets spring debut and Tommy John return

March 6, 2015 3:00 pm ET

Matt Harvey returns -- with a vengeance. (USATSI)His fastball touched 99 mph, and he dropped in a cruel 84 mph curve that buckled a batter's knees. He went two perfect innings, throwing 25 pitches total, and joked with his manager that he was good for at least a couple more. In his first action in 18 months, and since undergoing Tommy John surgery, New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey looked every bit as dominant as he did before he blew out his elbow. Maybe better.
    Harvey told reporters at Legends Field in Port St. Lucie, Fla:
    "I wasn't really expecting to have a curveball like that. ... I was feeling it, so I had to drop it in."
    His comment is almost as filthy as the stuff it describes. Here's a video rundown of Harvey's afternoon:
    Your browser does not support iframes.
    Overall, the results made Harvey happy. Via Metsblog:
    “Things felt good, so the fact that I had surgery is out of my mind,” he told reporters after leaving the game. “I'm excited. I'm not going to deny that I'm excited about being back.”
    Great news for the Mets, for Harvey and for baseball (except when your team plays against them).

I'm drafting him for some my fantasy teams ( maybe most of them, depending on how high he is going) and as a lifetime Mets fan, this is great news.
    Harvey tied that catcher (the batter) up in knots with that curve ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    wow 99mph already
    Wow! Impressive to say the least. That TJS is a simply an incredible procedure!

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Odds to Win the 2015 AL East
    Boston Red Sox, 2-1
    Baltimore Orioles, 7-2
    Toronto Blue Jays, 11-4
    New York Yankees, 9-2
    Tampa Bay Rays, 7-1
    I know the Rays have sloughed off quite a bit of talent in recent months (in addition to losing their manager), but I think giving them the worst odds in the division -- by a comfortable margin -- undersells them in 2015. I don't expect them to win the AL East, but at those odds I'd bite. FanGraphs, for instance, projects the Rays for the third-most wins in the division and a non-negligible 13.3 percent chance of taking the flag.
    Odds to Win the 2015 AL Central
    Chicago White Sox, 9-4
    Detroit Tigers, 9-4
    Kansas City Royals, 9-2
    Cleveland Indians, 12-5
    Minnesota Twins, 18-1
    The White Sox have been provably upgraded this offseason, but let's bear in mind that they're working from an 89-loss baseline. Better? Yes. The co-favorites in a very balanced AL Central? I have my doubts. In said AL Central, I'd be all over the Indians at 12-5. I'm picking them to the division, anyway.
    Odds to Win the AL West
    Los Angeles Angels, 8-5
    Seattle Mariners, 8-5
    Oakland Athletics, 9-2
    Texas Rangers, 6-1
    Houston Astros, 16-1
    I don't have strong feelings about this one. I think the Mariners will win the West, but there's the potential for compression at the top. I wouldn't come near the Rangers at 6-1.
    Odds to Win the NL East
    Washington Nationals, 1-3
    New York Mets, 5-1
    Miami Marlins, 6-1
    Atlanta Braves, 16-1
    Philadelphia Phillies, 50-1
    In terms of ordering, I'd peg the Marlins ahead of the Mets, but there's very little drama here. Yes, the Nats at 1-3 sounds about right. I'd bet the Phillies at 50-1 before I'd bet the Braves at 16-1, but, really, I wouldn't bet either one.
    Odds to Win the NL Central
    St. Louis Cardinals, 5-4
    Chicago Cubs, 5-2
    Pittsburgh Pirates, 11-4
    Cincinnati Reds, 12-1
    Milwaukee Brewers, 12-1
    The Cardinals are the obvious favorites, but a flyer on the Pirates at 11-4 would be a reasonable play. My feelings about the Cubs -- I like them in 2016 and beyond but think they're a bit of an oversell in the here and now -- are laid out above. They're a third-place team in the mix for the second NL wild card berth, not the division crown.
    Odds to Win the NL West
    Los Angeles Dodgers, 1-2
    San Diego Padres, 7-2
    San Francisco Giants, 7-2
    Arizona Diamondbacks, 33-1
    Colorado Rockies, 50-1
    Without question, I'm picking the Dodgers to win the division, but 1-2 seems a bit steep. No to the Padres at 7-2. The Rockies at 50-1? If you're in the mood for a longshot, I don't mind this one, on the off chance that Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez are somehow, a, healthy and in vintage form, and, b, not traded. Again, “longshot” is the operative word.
    I'm predicting this is going to be one of the most competitive MLB seasons in recent memory.

Most of the divisions are a complete toss up, in my opinion. It might come down to which team stays "healthiest"

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by koz-man View Post
    Jon Lester pitches 2 sharp innings

MESA, Ariz. -- In front of the largest spring training crowd ever, new Chicago Cubs pitcher Jon Lester threw as advertised on Friday, facing the minimum in his two-inning debut in a Cubs uniform.

Lester got ahead of all but one Cincinnati Reds batter while striking out three in front of 15,331. He gave up one hit, a broken-bat single to Chris Dominguez in the second inning, which was quickly erased by a double-play ball. Lester threw so efficiently he wrapped up his day with a few more tosses in the bullpen.
    [+] EnlargeJoe Camporeale/USA TODAY SportsJon Lester dazzled in his first spring start for the Cubs, facing the minimum against the Reds.

"Usually the first one you're getting taken out (due to a pitch count) but today I was able to fill the strike zone up," Lester said. "The first one is always tough. Now you just build and look forward to the next one."

It didn't look tough as Lester threw 24 pitches, including 20 strikes. Between the first and second innings he struck out three consecutive batters: Brandon Phillips, Todd Frazier and Jay Bruce.

==============

This sucks that the Reds & Bucs will have to face this guy several times this season....
    15,331 in attendance???

That's more than the Cubs averaged at Wrigley last year, isn't it???

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

15,331 in attendance???

That's more than the Cubs averaged at Wrigley last year, isn't it???
    The cubs averaged more than 32000 last year.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    The cubs averaged more than 32000 last year.
    Andy, I was kidding. Any chance I can take a shot at the Cubs and/or their fans, I will!

EmpireMaker

Yu Darvish considers Tommy John surgery after tearing UCL in elbow

March 7, 2015 11:57 am ET

The ulnar collateral ligament demon struck again in major-league baseball, this time with Texas Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish, who is considering having Tommy John elbow surgery as a result. Darvish underwent an MRI on Friday for a sore triceps muscle, and the club announced Saturday that the scan revealed a sprain of his UCL. That's a nicer way of saying Darvish has a partial ligament tear. Surgery isn't assured -- some pitchers try rest and physical therapy -- but it's likely.
    Thanks to research by Joe Roegele (@MLBPlayerAnalys), we know that a total of 97 players -- 33 major-leaguers -- would have had Tommy John surgery since Jan. 1, 2014. All but nine are pitchers, and several of them -- Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez and probably Darvish -- are among the best at what they do. Going back farther: 247 players since the start of 2012, 361 since 2010, and 614 since 2005 have had Tommy John.
    By comparison, a total of 79 players underwent Tommy John surgery from 1974-1995.
    Losing Darvish -- likely for the entire 2015 season -- is much more than collateral damage to the Rangers. He has been one of the best pitchers in the majors since coming over from Japan before the 2012 season. Darvish led the American League in strikeouts and fewest hits per inning in 2013, when he finished second in Cy Young voting.
    The Rangers probably were a long shot to contend in 2015, but losing Darvish for the season could send them back into last place in the AL West.
    Via MLB.com, here's what Darvish is thinking:
    Darvish, who missed the final seven weeks last season due to mild inflammation in his right elbow, exited his spring debut on Thursday after just one inning.
    "I will be disappointed if I have to miss the season, but I want to look at all options, including getting a second opinion, before I make a final decision," Darvish said in a statement. "In the meantime, my heart is with my teammates, and our focus remains on accomplishing our goals for the season."
    The Yankees' Masahiro Tanaka, for example, opted for rest and rehab after visiting, reportedly, six doctors regarding his torn UCL last summer. Most of the time, the player gets surgery.
    Though Dr. James Andrews is expected to be consulted, Rangers team physician Dr. Keith Meister has performed six Tommy John surgeries. He's set to do Joel Hanrahan's later this month.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Cubs might not have too many fans in their incomplete stadium this April

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

Josh Reddick to miss Opening Day

MESA, Ariz. -- Just a few short hours after manager Bob Melvin said that the Athletics would be shutting down right fielder Josh Reddick for two weeks with a strained oblique, it now looks like Reddick will be out four to six weeks, preventing him from being in the team's Opening Day lineup.
    Mike DiNovo/USA TODAY SportsA's outfielder Josh Reddick is expected to miss Opening Day with an oblique strain.

"After I got the MRI, they were telling me that it could be two months," Reddick said during in-game comments to the Bay Area News Group. "So to hear this morning that it's just four to six weeks is actually comforting, something of a relief."

Earlier in the day, Melvin had said, "[Reddick is] going to be a little bit longer than we anticipated. He's not going to do anything for two weeks. So the timetable after that just depends. Then obviously it's a progression to get him ready again, you have to start from zero again. I would think maybe Opening Day would be a stretch, but he's been a quick healer."

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO

Andy, I was kidding. Any chance I can take a shot at the Cubs and/or their fans, I will!
    I should have picked up on that...

EmpireMaker

Sean Newcomb, 1st rounder, looked good in scoreless inning in spring debut for Angels. reminds some of Lester.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25

Yu Darvish considers Tommy John surgery after tearing UCL in elbow

March 7, 2015 11:57 am ET

The ulnar collateral ligament demon struck again in major-league baseball, this time with Texas Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish, who is considering having Tommy John elbow surgery as a result. Darvish underwent an MRI on Friday for a sore triceps muscle, and the club announced Saturday that the scan revealed a sprain of his UCL. That's a nicer way of saying Darvish has a partial ligament tear. Surgery isn't assured -- some pitchers try rest and physical therapy -- but it's likely.
    Thanks to research by Joe Roegele (@MLBPlayerAnalys), we know that a total of 97 players -- 33 major-leaguers -- would have had Tommy John surgery since Jan. 1, 2014. All but nine are pitchers, and several of them -- Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez and probably Darvish -- are among the best at what they do. Going back farther: 247 players since the start of 2012, 361 since 2010, and 614 since 2005 have had Tommy John.
    By comparison, a total of 79 players underwent Tommy John surgery from 1974-1995.
    Losing Darvish -- likely for the entire 2015 season -- is much more than collateral damage to the Rangers. He has been one of the best pitchers in the majors since coming over from Japan before the 2012 season. Darvish led the American League in strikeouts and fewest hits per inning in 2013, when he finished second in Cy Young voting.
    The Rangers probably were a long shot to contend in 2015, but losing Darvish for the season could send them back into last place in the AL West.
    Via MLB.com, here's what Darvish is thinking:
    Darvish, who missed the final seven weeks last season due to mild inflammation in his right elbow, exited his spring debut on Thursday after just one inning.
    "I will be disappointed if I have to miss the season, but I want to look at all options, including getting a second opinion, before I make a final decision," Darvish said in a statement. "In the meantime, my heart is with my teammates, and our focus remains on accomplishing our goals for the season."
    The Yankees' Masahiro Tanaka, for example, opted for rest and rehab after visiting, reportedly, six doctors regarding his torn UCL last summer. Most of the time, the player gets surgery.
    Though Dr. James Andrews is expected to be consulted, Rangers team physician Dr. Keith Meister has performed six Tommy John surgeries. He's set to do Joel Hanrahan's later this month.
    He should go ahead and have it done. The Rangers will probably not compete this year anyhow.

Have the surgery now and come back stronger in 2016. Just my thoughts...

MikeTizzy
    Update your status
    MikeTizzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

spring season time! time to get it fellas

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO

He should go ahead and have it done. The Rangers will probably not compete this year anyhow.

Waiting is just going to make it worst. And lose more time.

EmpireMaker

Looks like the Rangers are going to be really bad this year.

First ... 9101112131415 ... Last