maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Week 1 early leans - Arizona -1 & Georgia -3

Arizona plays BYU and returns a lot of players on O and has a new D coordinator after Rich Rod cleaned house on that side of the ball. BYU is soft on D and Arizona scores a ton of points against good teams. BYU QB is really good but will be playing 1st game since breaking leg. No amount of practice can simulate game conditions so I expect him to be off. Basically a pick em and AZ at home. Rich Rod is a psycho and will pull out all the stops in this game.

Georgia finally got rid of Richt and fans love it. They are very athletic and will be ready for the opener in Atlanta. They play physical ball and should be able to knock NC around. NC is overrated playing in their horrid ACC division and rely more on a timing offence that will not be sharp the first game. Their D is horrific and soft. Georgia should roll.

Opinions please.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Where to start. Arizona will have problems against good teams this season. Despite Rich Rod's tendency to try and out score everyone, Arizona was held to 17 by Stanford and 3 (that's right, THREE) by a 7 win Washington team. They are also 5-13 as HF during the RichRod era. They play a team who returns more players than they do, and may be trying to play themselves into a Power 5 Conference.

Georgia is going up against a team that returns 4 starters on their offensive line. Georgia returns just 1 starter on their defensive line. They also face the big disadvantage of playing a team that won a school record 11 games last season with their new HC. Two teams headed in opposite directions here. Neither team has anything to celebrate as far as their ATS records go, and that is why this game is the perfect "pass" game.

TTA_President
    TTA_President's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    Arizona plays BYU and returns a lot of players on O and has a new D coordinator after Rich Rod cleaned house on that side of the ball. BYU is soft on D and Arizona scores a ton of points against good teams. BYU QB is really good but will be playing 1st game since breaking leg. No amount of practice can simulate game conditions so I expect him to be off. Basically a pick em and AZ at home. Rich Rod is a psycho and will pull out all the stops in this game.

Georgia finally got rid of Richt and fans love it. They are very athletic and will be ready for the opener in Atlanta. They play physical ball and should be able to knock NC around. NC is overrated playing in their horrid ACC division and rely more on a timing offence that will not be sharp the first game. Their D is horrific and soft. Georgia should roll.

Opinions please.
    Their d was pretty good last year.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Where to start. Arizona will have problems against good teams this season. Despite Rich Rod's tendency to try and out score everyone, Arizona was held to 17 by Stanford and 3 (that's right, THREE) by a 7 win Washington team. They are also 5-13 as HF during the RichRod era. They play a team who returns more players than they do, and may be trying to play themselves into a Power 5 Conference.

Georgia is going up against a team that returns 4 starters on their offensive line. Georgia returns just 1 starter on their defensive line. They also face the big disadvantage of playing a team that won a school record 11 games last season with their new HC. Two teams headed in opposite directions here. Neither team has anything to celebrate as far as their ATS records go, and that is why this game is the perfect "pass" game.

Thanks for your post. I had already begun coming off Georgia. New coach and QB is scary. I know they lack returning starters some places but Georgia gets athletic studs and usually is fine there. NC is overrated and their D is terrible. But i agree it might be wishful thinking that Georgia will be together the 1st game.

I still like Zona because BYU is not Stanford and gives up points. They have a brand new coach and a QB that hasn't played in a long time. BYU can't stop Zona. All of the offseason in Zona has been on a new DC and new defensive attitude. I like that. The O returns a lot. Just like them at home here the 1st game of year. One thing I never look at is past performance of a team at home when the team is having a major change in philosophy. Just my thought.

Thanks for your ideas. Let me know who you like in other games.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Don't underestimate BYU's defense. I follow both these teams as my two favorite schools and UofA always disappoints. I have BYU winning this one by at least a touchdown. There are tons of Mormons in Arizona. This won't be a home game for UofA. Fans will be split. It's a true neutral site in my opinion.

maggiethebestdog

Just leaning right now, but thanks for the info.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Just leaning right now, but thanks for the info.
    Not trying to discourage your picks, just offering some counter opinions. I think there are other great games on the board that are better than both of these, but you could hit them both. It seems like home field advantage is a part of why you're on Arizona, but they are playing in Glendale, and I think it will be split with fans on both sides.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Thanks for your post. I had already begun coming off Georgia. New coach and QB is scary. I know they lack returning starters some places but Georgia gets athletic studs and usually is fine there. NC is overrated and their D is terrible. But i agree it might be wishful thinking that Georgia will be together the 1st game.

Georgia doesnt have a new QB, UNC does . Lambert is back

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

I'm the biggest byu fan here. Byu will win this one and are better than arizona. Having ty detmer at quarterback coach and a good head coach now also. They do well inseasonopeners. Look what they did in season opener at dallas cowboys stadium.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

When you look at Arizona and BYU, you are looking at two teams that can win as many as 9 games or as few as 6. The biggest difference is whatthese two teams are plahying for in game 1. Arizona is playing for the same thing that just about every other Power 5 team is playing for. Dremas of a Conference Championship. BYU is playing to get into a Power 5 Conference. Advantage BYU.

Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

When you look at Arizona and BYU, you are looking at two teams that can win as many as 9 games or as few as 6. The biggest difference is whatthese two teams are plahying for in game 1. Arizona is playing for the same thing that just about every other Power 5 team is playing for. Dremas of a Conference Championship. BYU is playing to get into a Power 5 Conference. Advantage BYU.
    The absurdity of this post....the outcome of a week 1 game has absolutely no bearing on byu getting into the big 12. In fact, the only real factor on expansion is money in terms of new tv markets and ticket sales. BYU can go winless and still get begged to join based on the dollars.

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by capone1899 View Post
    It's possible that freshman 5 star QB Jacob Eason starts. He was 5th overall and the #2 QB per 247. There is also a junior who is pretty good as well.

Lambert is the safe choice for the beginning of the season but the QB situation is not yet settled.

Memento

you gonna put up some points against georgia?

maggiethebestdog

I have come off the 2 leans here. Still think they are the plays if betting these games, but I am not taking them.

Memento

I have come off the 2 leans here. Still think they are the plays if betting these games, but I am not taking them.
    GA is a good play.....the other game is a toss up.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    GA is a good play.....the other game is a toss up.
    Just not loving GA right now. I wasn't trying to freeze you out in the other thread. You are not one of the know it all dicks in here. I only argue with them.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I know someone covering Georgia's practice. Eason has been running with the 1's the past two weeks. It really looks like he's starting.

Chubb has the knee brace off. He is a lock to start. Sony Michel may not play

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by capone1899 View Post

Lambert was awful. They won 10 games in spite of him.

Memento

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I know someone covering Georgia's practice. Eason has been running with the 1's the past two weeks. It really looks like he's starting.

Chubb has the knee brace off. He is a lock to start. Sony Michel may not play
    I expect eason to play...reading between the lines based on coach comments. Chubb good to go from what i read.

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    I expect eason to play...reading between the lines based on coach comments. Chubb good to go from what i read.
    I did not know Chubb was a sure thing. I will look in to this game again. If they announce Eason as starter that would help. Lambert is horrible.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I don't think this is a good matchup for UNC. Unc holds the advantage at uga pass offense vs unc pass defense. That's about it. If uga gets decent quarterback play, this could be a blowout. ...but...not sure that they do

maggiethebestdog

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I don't think this is a good matchup for UNC. Unc holds the advantage at uga pass offense vs unc pass defense. That's about it. If uga gets decent quarterback play, this could be a blowout. ...but...not sure that they do
    I agree with you. Georgia has run game and decent D, QB play is huge key. Also, UNC can't stop the run which means they might just commit everyone to the run and dare GA to throw.