laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Baseball being fixed....

About a month ago I had a large bet on the Dodgers when they played San Diego at Petco. As usual I placed my bet prior to the game and watched as the line shifted as bets came in. About 3 minutes prior to the game starting a gentleman in a dark suit and glasses approached the clerk which simultaneously coincided with the Dodgers going from being favored to being a dog. I approached the guy assuming he was the one who shifted the line and asked him, "you like the padres?", in which he responds, "I got Jansen in my back pocket" and then walked away. I really didn't think much of it as Dodgers dominated the majority of the game....till the 9th....when Jansen came in the game, blowing the game and getting the loss. Jansen didn't throw over 90 mph that night but hasn't blown a game since and has been in the high 90's ever since. For all I know the guy was full of crap but it makes me wonder, do you guys think alot of this goes on? I got to thinking in this individual case, A GUY Like Jansen.....he's probably supporting tons of family from his hometown so even his salary which is around a million I'm guessing might not go along way when you're supporting 15-20 people, as well as paying for ammenties that are all seemingly new expenses, which would make things like this not just probable but maybe even more frequent then one might expect...idk but it's bothered me since

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Cool story bro

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

what book was this at?

z-doggie
    yo dog ,,i am the ish...
    z-doggie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1981

very interesting...

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

so what would've happened is there was no save situation and jansen doesn't pitch in the game?

does jansen just stay in his back pocket?

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

First off...do you realize if the guy was telling the truth (which it's BS) he would have to be the biggest dumb ass in the world to walk around talking about how he had someone on a team because he just got himself, the player, you, and the establishment BUSTED for talking like that....and you could bet someone would be knocking on your door for a statement, that's after they investigated you thoroughly, which came after the body cavity search, which came after they bailed your ass out of the hole

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

You're reading too many books guys and going to too many movies

This is the real deal here

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Guy with Jansen in his back pocket needs to get a few outs with live wagering in his front pockets

Atreyu
    Atreyu's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lol

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Dude, he is making $4.3 million this year. There is NO WAY he is taking a few thousand dollars to rig a game.

Also I just call BS on this.

There is no way a guy is going to pay a closer to rig the game. There is absolutely no guarantee that player will be able to affect the game. So what happens if you paid him say 10k to blow the save to win your 100k bet, and they go to someone else? Or what if they are up 3, call him in, he lets 1 in, and they yank him and some other dude comes in and closes out. That does not sound sharp to me, there is too much risk in having the closer be the dude your gonna use to rig the game. You'd be paying the starter off IMO.

If anything, I think a more likely situation would be, he would wait until the 9th inning then live bet the shit out of the other side knowing his dude is going to blow the save.

Oh and lastly, why in the penetrate would this guy waste him time telling you he is rigging games...

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Jansen made the minimum for 3 years and signed a 4.3 million ONE YEAR CONTRACT this year. If he has a great year he can get at least that for multiple years down the road.

And he would risk all of that to make 20-50k on a bad outing?

C'mon man.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    Dude, he is making $4.3 million this year. There is NO WAY he is taking a few thousand dollars to rig a game.

Also I just call BS on this.

There is no way a guy is going to pay a closer to rig the game. There is absolutely no guarantee that player will be able to affect the game. So what happens if you paid him say 10k to blow the save to win your 100k bet, and they go to someone else? Or what if they are up 3, call him in, he lets 1 in, and they yank him and some other dude comes in and closes out. That does not sound sharp to me, there is too much risk in having the closer be the dude your gonna use to rig the game. You'd be paying the starter off IMO.

If anything, I think a more likely situation would be, he would wait until the 9th inning then live bet the shit out of the other side knowing his dude is going to blow the save.

Oh and lastly, why in the penetrate would this guy waste him time telling you he is rigging games...
    Looks like you beat me to it.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Who does he have in his front pocket?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

What fukin bs

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

he probable just jokeing with you

mamamonkey
    mamamonkey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Quote Originally Posted by laclippers504 View Post
    a gentleman in a dark suit and glasses approached the clerk .

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

...a gentleman in a dark suit and glasses approached the clerk...
    Wait, I'm confused. I see he had a dark suit, but were his glasses dark also? Or were they just regular glasses?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by mamamonkey View Post

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

You're lucky that you can even remember what happened.

whtsox13
    Update your status
    whtsox13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Somewhere there's a gentleman in a dark suit and glasses laughing at you.

mamamonkey
    mamamonkey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

Jesus the lengths that people will go to explain their losing bets....

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Like I said, he probably was full of crap but the coincidence of the sequence of events sure made me think about the probability of things like this happening. We all watch alot of sports, but sticking to the example of baseball, it's a long season, not every player is making 10 mill a year, getting paid 100 k to have a bad inning or strike out on a pinch hit at bat is not very improbable. With the amount of games, teams and players.....

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Did he have a voodoo doll? And if so did it look like George Castanza's mother?

ZIPPER HEAD
    ZIPPER HEAD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5106

Not this fukin shit again. Pull outa me

ZIPPER HEAD
    ZIPPER HEAD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5106

Lick your wounds from your loss and go rent eight men out and shut the fuk up

OMGRandyJackson

sticking to the example of baseball, it's a long season, not every player is making 10 mill a year, getting paid 100 k to have a bad inning or strike out on a pinch hit at bat is not very improbable. With the amount of games, teams and players.....
    Absolutely NO ONE in their right mind would pay some bench player to strike out if he ever gets the chance to pinch hit. I think you are missing the major point here, which is no one is going to pay a closer, bench player, to rig a game. There is absolutely no guarantee that those type of players will even get into said game, and will even have the chance to directly affect the outcome of the game in the bettors favor.

Way too much risk. Like I said before, if ANYONE in baseball is getting paid to lose, it would be a SP.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    First off...do you realize if the guy was telling the truth (which it's BS) he would have to be the biggest dumb ass in the world to walk around talking about how he had someone on a team because he just got himself, the player, you, and the establishment BUSTED for talking like that....and you could bet someone would be knocking on your door for a statement, that's after they investigated you thoroughly, which came after the body cavity search, which came after they bailed your ass out of the hole
    I think you are the biggest dumb ass for even believing it's fixed! Not even worth a dialogue.

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by boomer62 View Post
    I think you are the biggest dumb ass for even believing it's fixed! Not even worth a dialogue.
    I think you need to brush up on your reading skills.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by OMGRandyJackson View Post
    I think you need to brush up on your reading skills.
    Your right, meant to respond to original post by Clipper guy. Sorry Sanchez. Love the idiots who claim sports are fixed!

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by boomer62 View Post
    Your right, meant to respond to original post by Clipper guy. Sorry Sanchez. Love the idiots who claim sports are fixed!
    Sports are fixed. Boxing, Soccer, NBA at times etc.

The difference is not ALL games are rigged.