k22t
    Nationals to win the World Series +800
    k22t's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals Versus Tommy Hanson and the Atl Braves

After being dismantled and embarrassed in the early innings of Thursday's loss the Washington Nationals never gave up. Zimmerman, Laroche and Flores were all pulled prior to the late innings and the Nationals still found a way to fight back. Down 9-4 they had Harper come up with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th and showed some life in the 9th as they tacked on another run and had a few base runners. Following the game the team felt they had an opportunity to win the game and they let it slip away with a few bad mishaps. Atlanta had just 3 hit tough fought 3-2 victory early on Thursday against Madison Bumgarner. Travel/fatigue will not have much of an affect on this game as both played early on Thursday and it is a short flight time from ATL to Wash. Stephen Strasburg comes in with a 10-4 record and a 2.66 ERA, Tommy Hanson comes in with a 10-5 record with a 4.02 ERA.

Last time Hanson faced the Nationals he gave up 2 runs in 7 innings while taking the victory against Gio Gonzalez. Hanson has gone 3-1 in his past 5 starts with an ERA of 5.87. Stephen Strasburg has seen the Braves three times this season already and holds a 2-1 record thus far. His one loss came from a day where he pitched just 3 innings in Atlanta after being pulled for heat exhaustion on the road. His only start versus Atlanta at home was a 4 hit shutout where he pitched 7 strong innings.

I'm not gonna sit here and bore you with anymore statistics or trends because I know one game has nothing to do with another but for some reason I think the Nationals will respond strong today and get to Hanson early leaving Strasburg with good run support to be able to pitch deep into the game. They will be motivated to take this one down as they were taken out early from yesterdays ball game and some key players got some time off. The Nationals bats have been swinging hot as of late, Zimmerman has come alive, Morse is getting a groove and with bats like Desmond back in the starting lineup I think we can see a at least 5-6 runs on 8-10 hits today. Atlanta is closing in our their heels at just 3.5 games back from first place and that is something the Nationals do not want to give up. I see Strasburg going 7 innings, giving up 2 runs on 5 hits and having 8 K's.

Nationals (-155) win 5-2 vs Atlanta Braves.

With that being said, this is the only team I truly follow in the MLB, hopefully my predictions are correct and we can cash this ticket! Goodluck to anyone that follows or fades
    .. Any thoughts?

Last edited by k22t; 07-20-12 at 02:08 PM.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13605

Is it me or has Strasburg not been as dominant of late?

Also if I thought they were going to get to Hanson I'd look hard at FF. GL.

zilchy
    zilchy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1256

Braves the dog I like the most today and probably the only one I'll play. Giants should have swept them yesterday but didn't. Braves must be feeling good about that.

k22t

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post

He hasn't been as dominate as of late but I think he got his confidence back in Miami. He had a few hits against him and thanks to some bone head base running by the Marlins he was able to walk away unscathed. I have looked at the FF and RL as well. I see Desmond bringing a boost at the 4th spot and guys like Harper and Morse stepping up today. From 2-6 Harper, Zimmerman, Desmond, Laroche, Morse the Nationals have some heavy hitters that can rattle any pitcher. I don't see the Nationals dropping the ball today as they have Jackson and Detwiller up next in must win games.

k22t

I've seen a lot of people on the Braves on here today. Sticking to my prediction, mood in the clubhouse is good after yesterday's salvaged blowout, Stras comes out strong. Taking a serious look at -1.5 +160 as well..

k22t

Thought I had booked at -145 last night, looked now at it was -155... anyway, may add FF later.

MR5018 7/19/2012 10:18:46 PM INETUSR
    Pending Straight (10:19:15) 775/500 0

12832. Nationals (Washington) -155 Pending

Jeff Grant
    Jeff Grant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2924

It's amazing to me how good Dan Uggla is against Strasburg

Maybe the worst hitter in the majors right now

I agree with your assessment that the Nationals have a good 2-6 in the lineup, but two of those members (LaRoche, Zimmerman) are terrible against Hanson

k22t

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grant View Post
    It's amazing to me how good Dan Uggla is against Strasburg

Maybe the worst hitter in the majors right now

I agree with your assessment that the Nationals have a good 2-6 in the lineup, but two of those members (LaRoche, Zimmerman) are terrible against Hanson
    Dan Uggla has done well against the Nationals period this year. I think that changes today at home where they are comfortable and where Strasburg has excelled. 3 out of Hanson's 5 losses have come on the road and only way I see Braves winning this game is very very late in a tight game if the Nationals bullpen makes an error. Even then being at home we've seen them just like they did with the Mets 3 nights ago battle in extra innings down late to get a victory. SBR board is on Braves and very high on Hanson, i'll stick with the Nats. May add more..

Jeff Grant
    Jeff Grant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2924

Quote Originally Posted by k22t View Post
    Dan Uggla has done well against the Nationals period this year. I think that changes today at home where they are comfortable and where Strasburg has excelled. 3 out of Hanson's 5 losses have come on the road and only way I see Braves winning this game is very very late in a tight game if the Nationals bullpen makes an error. Even then being at home we've seen them just like they did with the Mets 3 nights ago battle in extra innings down late to get a victory. SBR board is on Braves and very high on Hanson, i'll stick with the Nats. May add more..
    Just read about Strasburg celebrating his 24th birthday tonight - might be on the right side here - hate fading pitchers in this situation

k22t

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's nice to know. A-Rod is one of the best players I have ever seen on his B-Day. Better believe i'm taking the Yankees on that day!

k22t

Some more plays for today...

Pending Straight (12:44:41) 388/250 0

910. Mets (New York) -155 Pending

MR5018 7/20/2012 12:05:45 PM INETUSR
    Pending Straight (12:12:57) 120/100 0
    18861. TT-Phillies (Philadelphia) / TT-Phillies (P(Listed Pitchers\) o4 -120 Pending

Pending 4tm.Parlay (12:44:12) 50/306 0
    906. Phillies (Philadelphia) -120 Pending
    914. Diamondbacks (Arizona) -200 Pending
    910. Mets (New York) -155 Pending

920. Tigers (Detroit) -175 Pending

Monchito
    Easy Come Easy Go
    Monchito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2485

5-2 ???? atlanta 5 inning !!! 3-1 !!!!!or 3-2 !!!!

jbess
    jbess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 299

Loving the Nats tonight, maybe because they are my home team and I always root for them. But Stras should get it done tonight. Hope this bad weather we had in Richmond doesn't travel up to DC.

k22t

So far so good with the Nats. Other games not so hot. Hopefully hit a few late night plays if Nats cash. 2-6 hitters doing their job as I said.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13605

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post

OUCH!!! Hopefully you got some FF.