brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

How Does Ryan Vogelsong Put Up Good Numbers?

I don't get it. The guys walks a good number of hitters and has mediocre strikeouts

Those are traditional indicators of a mediocre pitcher with subpar numbers...yet 2.70 era last season and 2.20 era this season? How is this possible?
    Last edited by brahmabull117; 06-20-12 at 10:00 PM.

Derty D
    Derty D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1838

I pretty sure he knows how the pitch: studies hitters' weaknesses, isn't pressured to have to strike everybody himself/he trusts his defense, keeps the hitter off balance, allowing contact, but little to show for it.

That sure is a good question! Usually pitchers with a great K/BB ratio may be impressive, but still get hit. Voglesong is another type.

I don't claim to be an expert, since nobody replied, I thought I'd answer.

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by Derty D View Post
    I pretty sure he knows how the pitch: studies hitters' weaknesses, isn't pressured to have to strike everybody himself/he trusts his defense, keeps the hitter off balance, allowing contact, but little to show for it.

That sure is a good question! Usually pitchers with a great K/BB ratio may be impressive, but still get hit. Voglesong is another type.

I don't claim to be an expert, since nobody replied, I thought I'd answer.

Pitchers with poor k to bb ratio practically never succeed long term. It's just too difficult to consistently give up so few hits when you're not striking out people and it's just too difficult to consistently give up a good amount of baserunners but not give up runs

I would be very curious to see if Vogelson continues his success. Conventional thinking tells you that his ERA should regress to around 4-4.5 anytime soon now

1sob
    1sob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

he's a smart pitcher doesnt have an over the top
    fastball like starsburgh but he does get the job done

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

If you watch his pitches he is good at keeping the ball down and forcing ground ball outs. Coupled with the fact that he pitches in AT&T park it is a good combination for a low ERA. It is hard to hit his pitches cleanly.

Squirrel Kokomo
    Squirrel Kokomo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 293

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    I don't get it. The guys walks a good number of hitters and has mediocre strikeouts

Those are traditional indicators of a mediocre pitcher with subpar numbers...yet 2.70 era last season and 2.20 era this season? How is this possible?
    have you ever watched him pitch? that is an honest question from someone that has watched over 75% of his starts over the last 2 seasons.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

has variety of pitches and keeps hitters guessing. good location

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

you guys wasting your time trying to explain baseball to this character...pretty god damn funny that he thinks vogelsong the first pitcher in history that pitches to contact and has success...

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Mostly luck

brahmabull117

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    you guys wasting your time trying to explain baseball to this character...pretty god damn funny that he thinks vogelsong the first pitcher in history that pitches to contact and has success...

There have been successful long term pitchers in baseball that pitched to contact but they were guys like Maddux that basically never walked anybody and still had a fantastic K to BB ratio

A guy who doesn't strikeout people and still walks a good number of batters? That's never going to be a long term recipe for success