TucsonTom
    TucsonTom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texas @ Detroit Under 3.5 first 5 innings

Texas @ Detroit Under 3.5 first 5 innings

I am fairly confident that this is the way to go here. I really like the under 7 through the game, but I think this is the safer pick. A couple reasons:

1) Verlander is going for the Tigers in an elimination game at home. The Tiger's whole season rests on his arm and I think you see him come out with an inspired effort. His stats look good: the Rangers as a team are hitting .198 against him in their careers. This year he has an ERA of 2.40 and a WHIP of 0.92 to go with his 25 wins on the year. His splits look good too. He has an ERA of 1.78 in day games this year, and has an ERA of 2.0 against the Rangers this season. There have been questions about fatigue with Verlander, but I think that is a non issue with his team on the verge of elimination. I see him throwing 120+ tonight.

2) Elimination game = conservative managers, small ball, and great pressure on the offense. Look for both teams (especially Texas) to try and gain an edge with small ball throughout this game. Any time you play small ball you end up giving up at bats. And in this case you would be giving up at bats to get base runners in scoring position for hitters that haven't had great success against the opposing pitchers (point 3). Look for both managers to play it close to the vest here putting the pressure on the offense to break through against some tough pitching.

3) The major offensive players in the game tonight have struggled against the other teams' starters. Miguel Cabrera (.250), Victor Martinez (.176), Brandon Inge (.200), Johnny Peralta (.071), and Delmon Young (.200) have all struggled against C.J. Wilson. And Ian Kinsler (.167), Michael Young (.234), Mike Napoli (.200), Nelson Cruz (.111), and Elvis Andrus (.091) have all struggled against Verlander. The only batters that have enjoyed success are the Rangers' Josh Hamilton (.364), who hits .104 points less during the day than he does at night, and Adrian Beltre (.281).

4) C.J. Wilson had a good season with a 2.94 ERA, finishing with a strong 1.21 ERA in the month of September. His splits look good here with a 2.31 ERA on the road and a 2.71 ERA in day games. Also, right handed batters (the majority of Detroit's offensive weapons) are hitting a measly .227 against him. There are a few things about Wilson that scare me: he has struggled in the playoffs thus far and also had one bad start against Detroit earlier this season. That being said, he is a very talented pitcher and I see him in a good spot for a bounce back on the road and pitching during the day in a elimination game.

5) Stadium factors are in our favor. The park is very large and the wind is blowing in at 8 m.p.h. This should make it easier to keep the ball in the ballpark for our two starters. Also, the umpire has a slight lean to the under.

6) Now the main reason that I like this instead of the under 7 for the total. I am confident that Verlander will have a studly game, and I believe that Wilson will pitch well as well. The thing that scares me about the total for 9 innings is the Detroit bullpen. They already start with a disadvantage in the bullpen and tonight they are going without two of their setup men tonight. If the Rangers are able to chase Verlander and get to the bullpen then this one could go way over the posted total. I feel like the safer option is to take Verlander's first 5 innings rather than banking on Verlander going a complete game, or worse the Detroit bullpen. The one risk with going this way is C.J. Wilson. He has shown over his past few starts that he is capable of giving up runs. However, I am giving him a lean because of the reasons mentioned earlier.

Thoughts?

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Goodluck...but it seems more often then not the LOGICAL pick gets destroyed.

With that said, I'll be pulling for ya.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good writeup, have a few thoughts

- Wouldnt consider this as much of a day game as it is going to be dark and cloudy and will go into the evening. I think you can throw the daytime stuff out

- Both of these pitchers have struggled quite a bit in the playoffs and im not sure you can say they'll bounce back just because its a big game. It's the playoffs, so they are all big games.

- Also not sure where you're getting the Rangers being a "small ball" team. They were 2nd in baseball in home runs and they're going to go with what got them here.

Other than that you do bring up good points, but I am still leaning over. BOL.

TucsonTom

Regul8er, unfortunately, you make a good point ha...

Dr. Stale, thanks for the heads up on the weather. I just checked weather.com and it is supposed to be cloudy all afternoon/evening. I will take that into consideration. As far as the 2 pitchers, I'm not saying that they are going to bounce back because this is a big game. I have looked at the stats for both pitchers against both lineups and the numbers look favorable. Also, the splits look favorable. I'm saying they are going to have better performances because they are being placed in positions that are favorable to them. Also, this is the biggest game of the playoffs yet for Verlander and I see him rising to the challenge (with the benefits of the situation). As far as Texas playing small ball tonight, I am again looking at their stats against Verlander. They have not had success against him. Because of that, I see Washington leaning on some small ball to try and get runners in scoring position and get runs while he can. Home runs are going to be hard to come by tonight: the wind will be blowing in and the humidity will be high at a stadium that is rather large. Just my opinion though, and BOL no matter what you do tonight!
    Last edited by TucsonTom; 10-13-11 at 02:59 PM.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL. Another thing I forgot to mention (too late now) is that the ump is like 65% in overs vs unders

latinrus
    Pats, Pats, Pats
    latinrus's Avatar Become A Pro!

U will suffer this 5th inning!

TucsonTom

How right you were latinrus... Bummer. Oh well, hope for a bounce back tonight.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Goodluck...but it seems more often then not the LOGICAL pick gets destroyed.

With that said, I'll be pulling for ya.

Delirium tremens
    Update your status
    Delirium tremens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1285

well, that was a waste of time!!

TucsonTom

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium tremens View Post
    well, that was a waste of time!!
    Haha yes it was... Oh well, I did not see the HR from the 8 spot coming! I still think it was the logical pick, but as Regul8r said, the logical pick is not always the right pick. No biggie, sometimes you lose.