1. #1
    209 Life
    RN4L
    209 Life's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-15-18
    Posts: 2,805
    Betpoints: 4430

    UCLA & USC planning to leave PAC-12 to Big Ten

    Wow that would be a massive shift. Does PAC-12 scoop up some MWC teams if UCLA & USC Leave?


    USC and UCLA are two of the Pac-12's most valuable brands, both in terms of success and visibility. Their entries into the Big Ten would create a cross-continental superconference on par with the expanding SEC. Both would stand at 16 teams after USC and UCLA move to the Big Ten as Texas and Oklahoma enter the SEC, which is slated to happen in 2025.
    When word word leaked that the Longhorns and Sooners intended to leave the Big 12, it created a firestorm of backlash from those left behind in the conference, especially from the other schools within their states. In other words, expect Cal in particular to be on the offensive, especially since it is part of the University of California system along with UCLA.
    Considering that the Pac-12 has already struggled in highly visible and profitable sports like football and men's basketball in recent years, the exodus of two powers would be a potentially gutting blow. As this latest realignment saga plays out
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/24/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/17/2022


  2. #2
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    USC and UCLA get you the TV money you are looking for and then you add the Pac 12 teams that you want since you have the dough for it. They will also add Washington and Oregon and probably Stanford and Cal for reputation.

    Then Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado all bolt for the Big 12.

    Washington State and Oregon State probably wind up in the Mountain West.

  3. #3
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    This is also probably why Texas put off going to the SEC to 2024 because they knew all this was coming.

  4. #4
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 392,716
    Betpoints: 1132

    Damn joke

    I will never accept them in Big10

  5. #5
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    They will not really be a part of the Big 10 in reality. It will be like the SEC where teams do not even play one another for 10 years. You will have the Pac 12 division and they will play one of the other divisions and then a couple of non-conference games. Basically no difference except you make a whole lot more money.

  6. #6
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Should this latest round of conference realignment take place, however, the Big Ten would stretch from Piscataway, N.J., to Los Angeles a mere 2,700 miles and change. Notably, such a move would mean the Big Ten would have a presence in the three biggest TV markets in the country in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. A boon for the conference as it negotiates a new media rights deal.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  7. #7
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    This is the USFL. They just added a Pacific division.

  8. #8
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 27,624
    Betpoints: 60

    I can't see the Big Ten accepting this. Super strange.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/28/2022


  9. #9
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    It's all about money. The Big 10 is initiating this. You have a nationwide super-conference and all the schools make millions more. This settles the college football landscape. It is the last shoe to drop.

  10. #10
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I can't see the Big Ten accepting this. Super strange.
    Huh? They add LA TV market, all that matters
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  11. #11
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Quote Originally Posted by Accrued Interest View Post
    It's all about money. The Big 10 is initiating this. You have a nationwide super-conference and all the schools make millions more. This settles the college football landscape. It is the last shoe to drop.
    Nope

    Now the pac12 has to poach the mountain west
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  12. #12
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    The Pac 12 had to go because the TV execs did not like the start times. So they play these games late afternoon and mix in a few late nights for fun. The Big 10 gets to the level of the SEC in terms of dollars or maybe more.

  13. #13
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Quote Originally Posted by Accrued Interest View Post
    The Pac 12 had to go because the TV execs did not like the start times. So they play these games late afternoon and mix in a few late nights for fun. The Big 10 gets to the level of the SEC in terms of dollars or maybe more.
    The SEC has nothing in the way of large markets like the big 10 does
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  14. #14
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    The SEC has nothing in the way of large markets like the big 10 does
    Maybe. But they make more money right now. But probably not for long with this.

  15. #15
    BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-06-11
    Posts: 1,334
    Betpoints: 4089

    Quote Originally Posted by Accrued Interest View Post
    They will not really be a part of the Big 10 in reality. It will be like the SEC where teams do not even play one another for 10 years. You will have the Pac 12 division and they will play one of the other divisions and then a couple of non-conference games. Basically no difference except you make a whole lot more money.
    The SEC will likely transition to a 3-6-6 format so while each SEC team will have far fewer annual opponents, they will see the rest of the conference far, far more often. Gone are the days of seeing certain opponents only once every 10 years (which is actually once every 6 years, but I digress)

  16. #16
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    So now all these games that were not attractive as late night games, now become attractive because you get rid of all the teams you had to accommodate before and you just televise the best games. All those teams go over to the Big 12 and you never have to show another Washington State or Oregon State game again except on the sub-channels.

  17. #17
    ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-04-11
    Posts: 23,968
    Betpoints: 12889

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Should this latest round of conference realignment take place, however, the Big Ten would stretch from Piscataway, N.J., to Los Angeles — a mere 2,700 miles and change. Notably, such a move would mean the Big Ten would have a presence in the three biggest TV markets in the country in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. A boon for the conference as it negotiates a new media rights deal.
    One question, as it relates to Coll Bask:

    *Would USC/UCLA now be travel partners for the weekend action?

    IE, travel east for Thurs: USC@Iowa and UCLA@Minn. SAT/SUN = USC@Minn and UCLA@Iowa.

    This is cool for Coll Bask and even Coll FB. Brutal for the non-revenue sports.

  18. #18
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    Probably the way they make up for travel is they make all their non-divisional games regional. So California teams probably never leave California except for conference out of division games.

  19. #19
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Forget conferences

    It's the big 30 or so teams and everybody else.

    Just hope your school (looking at you Vanderbilt) is not kicked the f uck out in the process.

    Who cares about Texas tech or Kansas football? Duke football, ILLINOIS football is terrible....
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  20. #20
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,377
    Betpoints: 9450

    2016 called, when Oklahoma was supposedly leaving to the Pac 10.

    did that ever happen?

    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...sion-president


    i'll believe U$C and UCLA are in the B1G when I actually see it.

  21. #21
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    2016 called, when Oklahoma was supposedly leaving to the Pac 10.

    did that ever happen?

    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...sion-president


    i'll believe U$C and UCLA are in the B1G when I actually see it.
    Will be announced tomorrow pal
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  22. #22
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    This is different though. Because the Pac 12 has big TV problems. They needed out. The times have changed. This is huge money now. It was just big money back then. This basically settles college sports for a while.

  23. #23
    ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-04-11
    Posts: 23,968
    Betpoints: 12889

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Forget conferences

    It's the big 30 or so teams and everybody else.

    Just hope your school (looking at you Vanderbilt) is not kicked the f uck out in the process.

    Who cares about Texas tech or Kansas football? Duke football, ILLINOIS football is terrible....
    Yes, Brock, but TX Tech has had some good teams. Even KS has had good teams. I really think Coll Football FBS should split in half.

    In round numbers, it should 64 + 64. Top 64 compete in 1a within four 16-team conferences.

    1b should compete regionally in 8 traditional 8-team conferences. Give those teams a chance to win a title, which is really not possible right now.

  24. #24
    Accrued Interest
    Accrued Interest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-22
    Posts: 145
    Betpoints: 1540

    That is basically what you have already. Nobody wants to watch a second tier college football. The Big 12 and ACC will still be able to hang with these teams. Not much is really changing.

    You've got all these transfers now where guys are leaving elite programs. Some of those guys are going to be better than the guys that got chosen ahead of them.

    Things never work out as intended or expected.

  25. #25
    209 Life
    RN4L
    209 Life's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-15-18
    Posts: 2,805
    Betpoints: 4430

    Time for Fresno St, San Diego St & Boise St to go into Power-5 league
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/24/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/17/2022


  26. #26
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Done deal

    That was lightening fast!

    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...pac-12-big-ten
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  27. #27
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,377
    Betpoints: 9450

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Done deal

    That was lightening fast!

    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...pac-12-big-ten

    the two schools applied,
    they were accepted tonight,
    now the two schools have to formally accept the acceptance, correct?

  28. #28
    TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-14-07
    Posts: 27,624
    Betpoints: 60

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Huh? They add LA TV market, all that matters
    I just never anticipated the BIG TEN would want Pacific teams? Just strange to me...

    If we're basing this just on LA Markets... I guess it's a good point? FOX Sports will be pissed off though... I think they have rights to the PAC-12 games? With UCLA and USC leaving.... basically leaves you watching garbage. lol
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/28/2022


  29. #29
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,106
    Betpoints: 6598

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I just never anticipated the BIG TEN would want Pacific teams? Just strange to me...

    If we're basing this just on LA Markets... I guess it's a good point? FOX Sports will be pissed off though... I think they have rights to the PAC-12 games? With UCLA and USC leaving.... basically leaves you watching garbage. lol
    It's just astonishing how fast this happened

    Can't be done either
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/21/2022


  30. #30
    gauchojake
    Fansplainer
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-17-10
    Posts: 32,208
    Betpoints: 5125

    Has Larry Scott been drawn and quartered yet????
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/28/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/17/2022


  31. #31
    Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-19-07
    Posts: 29,967
    Betpoints: 271

    Now do Oregon and Washington come together and request Big 10 membership? They are both AAU schools also.

  32. #32
    209 Life
    RN4L
    209 Life's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-15-18
    Posts: 2,805
    Betpoints: 4430

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Now do Oregon and Washington come together and request Big 10 membership? They are both AAU schools also.
    I think that's the next domino to fall
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/24/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/17/2022


  33. #33
    mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-14-15
    Posts: 17,286
    Betpoints: 332

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Now do Oregon and Washington come together and request Big 10 membership? They are both AAU schools also.
    Yes, kingpin TV markets.

  34. #34
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,377
    Betpoints: 9450

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    It's just astonishing how fast this happened

    Can't be done either
    fast for us but not fast at all behind the scenes. it was simply kept a secret.

    the planning and backroom discussions had to have been going on for mos.

  35. #35
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 12,377
    Betpoints: 9450

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I just never anticipated the BIG TEN would want Pacific teams? Just strange to me...

    If we're basing this just on LA Markets... I guess it's a good point? FOX Sports will be pissed off though... I think they have rights to the PAC-12 games? With UCLA and USC leaving.... basically leaves you watching garbage. lol
    they added Rutgers and Maryland some years ago so why not the Left Coast which is the Best Coast?

1234 Last
Top