zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Will my business survive the Coronavirus? Tracking Thread

I've owned a catering business for about 18 years... primarily business to business corporate drop off.

Been through plenty of ups and downs, but averaging all years together my annual sales from 2002 to 2019 are $511,000. That comes to $9827 a week.

Definitely was on an upward swing this past year as Trump's economic impact was really starting to be seen with corporate spending.

This year, which is generally the slowest time of year, my average weekly sales through March 14th were ~ $9309

Last week since the Corona craze took over and businesses began shutting down and I had a shitload of cancellations... sales ~ $3030

This coming week I anticipate $0.00 in sales from catering and am contemplating a shut down for the week while I work on a plan to begin a home meal delivery service. FYI I am still able to do business since we are a drop off caterer but that said no businesses are doing catering for the foreseeable future.

Feel free to post odds on whether or not zammer can stay in business. I'll keep this thread updated as I navigate through the uncertain times... fun times SBR nation... stay tuned

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

good luck man

what will you have for home delivery

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

simple you do something else until everything normal again

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just pretend your gonna have 2-3 months of Sundays....

It still be there........

As far as your bills,fukk em, not a goddamned thing they can do bout it......

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7210

I'm sure after doing it for 18 years you have some money saved.

I hope you aren't like huge companies who are crying that they can't afford a few months of down time.

Good luck
    Points Awarded:

zam77 gave lakerboy 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

goduke gave lakerboy 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11478

Gut it out.. Order will be restored soon.. Things are starting to look up.. This won't last as long as people may think now..
    Points Awarded:

zam77 gave JIBBBY 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    good luck man

what will you have for home delivery
    It will be bundles of prepared entree/dinner style foods. probably 4 pack of meals for 2 or 4. Example delivery would include a meal of each Steak Fajitas, Grilled Salmon and Rice, Chicken Paprikash with spaetzle. Option to add vegetables, salad and cookies. 4 pack for 2 would be around $80, for for $120. What do you think?

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Of course I have money saved and can get through a couple months of down time. I definitely don't want to get complacent though... would you guys? Would you just kick back an relax and ride it out or try and reinvent the wheel? The latter is currently under consideration but I don't know if I want to put the effort into it for a fraction of the sales and then next thing you know things are back to normal again

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Gut it out.. Order will be restored soon.. Things are starting to look up.. This won't last as long as people may think now..
    Things are starting to look up Jibby? Where u hear that bullsh it? In tWo weeks there will be chaos. Ever see that show Colony? Better hope it doesn’t gets that bad.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    It will be bundles of prepared entree/dinner style foods. probably 4 pack of meals for 2 or 4. Example delivery would include a meal of each Steak Fajitas, Grilled Salmon and Rice, Chicken Paprikash with spaetzle. Option to add vegetables, salad and cookies. 4 pack for 2 would be around $80, for for $120. What do you think?
    sounds delish. i wish you well.
    Points Awarded:

zam77 gave pologq 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Call hospital

Those tents they put up and extra workers going to need food

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 8671

Of course I have money saved and can get through a couple months of down time. I definitely don't want to get complacent though... would you guys? Would you just kick back an relax and ride it out or try and reinvent the wheel? The latter is currently under consideration but I don't know if I want to put the effort into it for a fraction of the sales and then next thing you know things are back to normal again
    Sounds like something you could hand off to someone else to get started with, if it was not worth your time once normal business is restored.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: -926

Good luck man. The Govt should pay everything as if it never happened and so what if the dollar gets inflated

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Just hang in there. You have to have someone to sell the food to.

garyking
    garyking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6844

Hard to say, depends on your savings. Probably looking at 4-6 months of shutdowns.

cyclingbettor
    cyclingbettor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7872

There's definitely a market out there, since all the people staying at home still need to eat. Whether it's worth trying to make a switch over is tough to say. I would certainly kick the tires on that sort of idea, though, if only to figure out what the effort was and have it ready as an option.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2258

It only makes sense to do the home delivery if you have enough clients to reach out to that would take you up on it now. If you have to put money into building up people interested I think it would be smarter just to grind it out and wait. Touch base with your customers and see if they would be interested in that a few times a week. If you get enough people interested do it till everything goes back.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12952

probably just give up

PAULYPOKER

I dunno this could more than likely lead to lawsuits.....

What if people get infected and try to blame it on you?

If you can get enough or find someone to insure for this potential cluster fukk
    would it still be worth it?

dustyy
    dustyy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6655

I've owned a catering business for about 18 years... primarily business to business corporate drop off.

Been through plenty of ups and downs, but averaging all years together my annual sales from 2002 to 2019 are $511,000. That comes to $9827 a week.

Definitely was on an upward swing this past year as Trump's economic impact was really starting to be seen with corporate spending.

This year, which is generally the slowest time of year, my average weekly sales through March 14th were ~ $9309

Last week since the Corona craze took over and businesses began shutting down and I had a shitload of cancellations... sales ~ $3030

This coming week I anticipate $0.00 in sales from catering and am contemplating a shut down for the week while I work on a plan to begin a home meal delivery service. FYI I am still able to do business since we are a drop off caterer but that said no businesses are doing catering for the foreseeable future.

Feel free to post odds on whether or not zammer can stay in business. I'll keep this thread updated as I navigate through the uncertain times... fun times SBR nation... stay tuned

Help is on the way, hang in there. It's a once in a lifetime event that will be painful but survivable. Don't panic. If you have debt, your bank will work with you. If you have installment debt, the bank will defer 60 or 90 days of payments and will more than likely capitalize the interest. If you have current seasonal lines of credit or other short term working capital needs they will be guaranteed by the government. The feds have made it clear that all financial institutions will work with the small business owners.

If you have been in business for 18 years, you have relationships with vendors and lenders and customers that are essentially in the same boat that you are in. Don't compare this economic event with the one of 12 years ago..completely different. That was driven by greed, this one will be solved by patience and compassion from all involved.

Hang in there, it won't be easy but nothing in life worthwhile is ever easy. Chance of survival? 90%. If you have made it 18 years, you will get through this

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11478

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    Things are starting to look up Jibby? Where u hear that bullsh it? In tWo weeks there will be chaos. Ever see that show Colony? Better hope it doesn’t gets that bad.

Don't be a Debbie Downer Thor.. Keep the chin up pal..

Malaria drug working, people know to keep distance now.. China and Korea rebounding as I speak.. ORDER WILL BE RESTORED sooner then people think here in America..

jjgold

I don’t know how people don’t have emergency money if something goes bad for 3-4 months when they have a business that does well

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

Home meal delivery service sounds like a good plan. Toughest part may be to get the word out.

Looks like you will provide a service that people will want, which is key.

Fuk the miserable naysayers. Good luck zam.
    Points Awarded:

zam77 gave hostile takeover 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by hostile takeover View Post
    Home meal delivery service sounds like a good plan. Toughest part may be to get the word out.
    This is the easiest period in history to get the word out. Zammer, get your head out of your ass. You'll be fine. Treat this as a couple months to do all the shit around the house you've wanted to do. Think of the events people will be wanting to plan in 90 days or so. You'll get a great deal of it back.
    Points Awarded:

zam77 gave WvGambler 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 84

What is your profit margin on a half million in sales ?

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I don’t know how people don’t have emergency money if something goes bad for 3-4 months when they have a business that does well
    Cause most don't have a choice........

78% Of Workers Live Paycheck To Paycheck - Forbes

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 1745

You should definitely try home delivery. Worth a shot. Especially so you don’t have to eat the food cost you’ve probably already incurred. Lots of those one off food vendors on the delivery provider service are just white labeled and made in offsite kitchens.

mjsuax13

I own a business and I would continue to fight for that business during this time. It’s a tough road no matter the case but you got this far by fighting and sticking it out. What the hell do you have to lose?
    Points Awarded:

zam77 gave mjsuax13 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    sounds delish. i wish you well.
    Even donate product for the tax write off. Don’t lose out on any benefit you can get from it.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by dustyy View Post
    Help is on the way, hang in there. It's a once in a lifetime event that will be painful but survivable. Don't panic. If you have debt, your bank will work with you. If you have installment debt, the bank will defer 60 or 90 days of payments and will more than likely capitalize the interest. If you have current seasonal lines of credit or other short term working capital needs they will be guaranteed by the government. The feds have made it clear that all financial institutions will work with the small business owners.

If you have been in business for 18 years, you have relationships with vendors and lenders and customers that are essentially in the same boat that you are in. Don't compare this economic event with the one of 12 years ago..completely different. That was driven by greed, this one will be solved by patience and compassion from all involved.

Hang in there, it won't be easy but nothing in life worthwhile is ever easy. Chance of survival? 90%. If you have made it 18 years, you will get through this
    Winner talk right here. Well said.

jjgold

That’s terrible
    Zammer hang in there
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Cause most don't have a choice........

78% Of Workers Live Paycheck To Paycheck - Forbes

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Mind boggling. The best part is how big companies need handouts. GTFO. You make millions but when the world takea a little break you want the government to cover it up?

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Today I think I’ll be fine. Next week who knows what I’ll be thinking. The amount of uncertainty is incredible. Very day to day train of thought right now. A big part of me does not want to even fuk with it until this passes. My business interruption insurance is a huge question mark right now. These insurance companies need to come thru... if I knew a claim would cover me I would no doubt sit on my ass and wait until everything was safe. There’s a ton of risk involved right now for these small food businesses who continue to feed people whether It be take out or delivery. One wrong move and a reputation can be destroyed

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheJerk View Post
    What is your profit margin on a half million in sales ?
    After I pay myself around 8 to 10% and I make right around 6 figures. It’s a tough career and I would like to be out of it in 8 years (I’ll be 50)... if I could do it all over again I wouldn’t but I guess I’m thankful I’ve never had to answer to anyone

lakerboy

After I pay myself around 8 to 10% and I make right around 6 figures. It’s a tough career and I would like to be out of it in 8 years (I’ll be 50)... if I could do it all over again I wouldn’t but I guess I’m thankful I’ve never had to answer to anyone
    Food business is hard man. You are doing okay. Once you put out numbers I knew exactly what your turnover was. Was in it for 16 years. Margins razor thin. Food and payroll cost big factor. I of course hope you do well.

1234 Last