d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Figured I'd check in here as the forum NVDA bull. Up over 5% today. More than doubled YTD and tripled since October. Has there ever been a run like this in a megacap, outside of a general huge bull market run? Love the company, but started to get a little concerned that this is too fast.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Figured I'd check in here as the forum NVDA bull. Up over 5% today. More than doubled YTD and tripled since October. Has there ever been a run like this in a megacap, outside of a general huge bull market run? Love the company, but started to get a little concerned that this is too fast.
    apple maybe, i remember trading that thing when it was 15, quite a few splits ago... wasn't a megacap back then though... if all you did was buy apple and hold it after the iphone in 2008, you'd have a 70x which i'm still kicking myself over

1999 the nasdaq as a whole doubled, weird times happen if you live long enough

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    lac is still super cheap
    Salud, Mike. Doing well on that one. Glad I picked it up, love the metals.

The sector that I'm getting more bearish on is Artificial Intelligence. There's an idea out there that AI solves (most) every problem. The more I observe, the less impressed I am. I'll take sound decision-making over AI. Just my opinion.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

apple maybe, i remember trading that thing when it was 15, quite a few splits ago... wasn't a megacap back then though... if all you did was buy apple and hold it after the iphone in 2008, you'd have a 70x which i'm still kicking myself over

1999 the nasdaq as a whole doubled, weird times happen if you live long enough
    But I'm talking about a 250b cap to 750b cap within 8 months not corresponding with a huge overall market rise.
    It's "easier" to go from 25b to 75b than from 250b to 750b.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: milwaukee mike

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

But I'm talking about a 250b cap to 750b cap within 8 months not corresponding with a huge overall market rise.
    It's "easier" to go from 25b to 75b than from 250b to 750b.
    This is a good point. Usually something that runs up like this eventually runs down the same way.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13569

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Salud, Mike. Doing well on that one. Glad I picked it up, love the metals.

The sector that I'm getting more bearish on is Artificial Intelligence. There's an idea out there that AI solves (most) every problem. The more I observe, the less impressed I am. I'll take sound decision-making over AI. Just my opinion.
    FK AI, anyone with a brain should be able to figure out it's something someone with a brain already figured out. Ppl think it can think for itself. Just Wiki on steroids. Buyer beware!!!

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    FK AI, anyone with a brain should be able to figure out it's something someone with a brain already figured out. Ppl think it can think for itself. Just Wiki on steroids. Buyer beware!!!
    and i feel like the early AI leaders (msft/nvda) won't necessarily be the ones that succeed... early internet, what would you have predicted? worldcom, aol, lucent, yahoo... early cell phone what would you have predicted? nokia and motorola, then blackberry

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

and i feel like the early AI leaders (msft/nvda) won't necessarily be the ones that succeed... early internet, what would you have predicted? worldcom, aol, lucent, yahoo... early cell phone what would you have predicted? nokia and motorola, then blackberry
    Difference is Nvidia has unique patented technologies. AOL was a dialup. Yahoo a website. Don't know what the hell Worlcom was. Just not the same IMO. There will be other winners, but Nvidia will continue to be the engine.

milwaukee mike

Difference is Nvidia has unique patented technologies. AOL was a dialup. Yahoo a website. Don't know what the hell Worlcom was. Just not the same IMO. There will be other winners, but Nvidia will continue to be the engine.
    everyone remembers ENRON but worldcom also had something like $80 billion in fraud... they were the largest telecom in the world, most of their assets are now verizon

there are 2 types of companies, those that are having problems and those that WILL have problems... you're smart to think about taking money off the table at a peak, you can always work around a base position by buying at lower points and selling at higher points (or using options)

thank god i sold a bunch of calls on penn but still got buried... it's no fun watching your largest holding go from 140 to 20

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

NVDA

Up over 25% on earnings report.
    Now that's unreal.
    Almost 200 bil more market cap added.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

I have Nvda at 210. My buddy bought them a few yrs ago. I only have 50. Should of sold my tsla couple years ago and reinvested.

chico2663

I have 1000 shares in ford. Wish those fukk ears would take off.

chico2663

everyone remembers ENRON but worldcom also had something like $80 billion in fraud... they were the largest telecom in the world, most of their assets are now verizon

there are 2 types of companies, those that are having problems and those that WILL have problems... you're smart to think about taking money off the table at a peak, you can always work around a base position by buying at lower points and selling at higher points (or using options)

thank god i sold a bunch of calls on penn but still got buried... it's no fun watching your largest holding go from 140 to 20
    My mom cut the hair of Kenneth lay’s family. She swears to God that the Bush family set him up.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11078

NVDA

Up over 25% on earnings report.
    Now that's unreal.
    Almost 200 bil more market cap added.
    and you are closer to buying your island :-)

Slurry Pumper

On vacation here marching along the Appalachian trail in Virginia. Stopped in to a real hotel just in time to see the markets finally come back down. The reports yesterday from the AI play in NVDA is giving stones a little boost here, but while NVDA is on a moon shot, the rest of the stocks will be coming down again starting next week probably. Going into the weekend and holiday there will more than likely be a relief rally.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    and you are closer to buying your island :-)
    I need another 10-bagger from here. First 10 trillion dollar company.
    NVDA owns AI and AI takes over the world.
    Sounds horrible, so I may as well profit from it.

Slurry Pumper

I need another 10-bagger from here. First 10 trillion dollar company.
    NVDA owns AI and AI takes over the world.
    Sounds horrible, so I may as well profit from it.
    The rise of the machines will be fueled by d2bets's investment cash. Your making a Skynet to kill us all lol. I hope you feel good on that island while the rest of us get eliminated by some robot. BTW, you'll need some fresh water pumped in, give me a call. I do other things besides slurry too.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    The rise of the machines will be fueled by d2bets's investment cash. Your making a Skynet to kill us all lol. I hope you feel good on that island while the rest of us get eliminated by some robot. BTW, you'll need some fresh water pumped in, give me a call. I do other things besides slurry too.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    On vacation here marching along the Appalachian trail in Virginia. Stopped in to a real hotel just in time to see the markets finally come back down. The reports yesterday from the AI play in NVDA is giving stones a little boost here, but while NVDA is on a moon shot, the rest of the stocks will be coming down again starting next week probably. Going into the weekend and holiday there will more than likely be a relief rally.
    Sounds good, Pumper. Sounds like you're staying active. Props, hope you have a good time.

I'm of the opinion that the Stock Mkt is way over-valued. I don't want to sound crazy. I'll call for 10% correction on the Main indices in the next 90 days.

I'm selling tech-stocks. Holding strong on Metal stocks and MSTR.

whydubya
    whydubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8399

Any suggestions on swing trades or weekly-monthly lotto picks?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Last 7 months have been utterly rangebound between 3,800 and 4,200. Currently sitting at the top of the range. Let's see if we get a breakout higher. Might happen. Would not be surprised to see 4,500 within the next couple months.

veriableodds
    validation not required
    veriableodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1961

which ones of these 2 would you buy for dividends only, not really looking for capital appreciation
    -SPYI
    -JEPI
    thanks veri

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by veriableodds View Post
    which ones of these 2 would you buy for dividends only, not really looking for capital appreciation
    -SPYI
    -JEPI
    thanks veri
    those both pay distributions based on income from options strategies... from what i know, they are good when the market is relatively flat (covered calls), but if you have a huge rally or a huge downside they might end up having 0 distributions
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chico2663

veriableodds
    validation not required

those both pay distributions based on income from options strategies... from what i know, they are good when the market is relatively flat (covered calls), but if you have a huge rally or a huge downside they might end up having 0 distributions
    I bought a little of both. Been investing in etn's, cef's, ect like stuff for long time now. Really not risky as in a sense as one might think risk is just relative as in the beta increases which works in both market directions. Essentially you just have to hold type investments for 5-9 years, if you reinvest say up to 15% of distribution its possible to get out earlier. For growth investing I would stay far away, for me its just income with no capital appreciation required. Plus you always hedge with margins or the 3x etf against a total market like CSQ or short them literally all for pennies vs dollars invested
    Bothe jepi, spyi are relatively new.

veriableodds
    validation not required

getting out early is not recommended at least how I see it, it provides income, so that would defeat the purpose of why buy in the fist place
    example---
    you buy a note worth $100
    agree to pay you back monthly over a 7 year term
    @ the time one receives 100% back in payment the note is only worth $40
    conclusion= i have made 40% profit while receiving income from the initial buy
    Last edited by veriableodds; 06-01-23 at 12:18 PM.

milwaukee mike

I bought a little of both. Been investing in etn's, cef's, ect like stuff for long time now. Really not risky as in a sense as one might think risk is just relative as in the beta increases which works in both market directions. Essentially you just have to hold type investments for 5-9 years, if you reinvest say up to 15% of distribution its possible to get out earlier. For growth investing I would stay far away, for me its just income with no capital appreciation required. Plus you always hedge with margins or the 3x etf against a total market like CSQ or short them literally all for pennies vs dollars invested
    Bothe jepi, spyi are relatively new.
    i'm not an expert in these, but i think they are way LESS risky than the overall market due to their options strategy... but if the market goes way up or way down they aren't making any money... for example you buy psx at 93 and sell $100 calls against it... if the stock stays around 90-100 you're making a killing, if it goes to 130 your days of making money are over, and you're out at 100... and if goes to 50 you're buried, but less buried than just holding the stock with no options

veriableodds
    validation not required

i'm not an expert in these, but i think they are way LESS risky than the overall market due to their options strategy... but if the market goes way up or way down they aren't making any money... for example you buy psx at 93 and sell $100 calls against it... if the stock stays around 90-100 you're making a killing, if it goes to 130 your days of making money are over, and you're out at 100... and if goes to 50 you're buried, but less buried than just holding the stock with no options
    You might be over thinking this a little but classically I get it. Look at it like this 1- its a fixed income type investment 2- little to no capital appreciation will be had. As with most these type investment a little research tells you 85% the price is going down (no hedging, covering, shorting ect) 3- only a portion of portfolio is used but using the investment the same as a long term ladder with cd's. myga, ect ect. We have not even touched the tax benefit from owning these

here is a complete portfolio using 7 year holds contains tickers most probably never heard of each pay monthly
    FAX-global bonds current div. 12.09%
    BIT- corporate bond div. 10.37%
    AWP-world real estate div 12.94%
    UTF-utilities div 8.79%
    EOI-stocks div 8.53%
    GLDI- gold div 13%
    SLVO- silver div 19.22%
    allocation of 100% breakdown
    stocks-34
    bonds-30
    utility-15
    commodities-11
    real estate-10

homie1975

I bought AI on Tue for shitts and gigggggles

37.50 went up to 43

i meant to sell half of my position at 1230 pm but a work call distracted me

it has gone downhill since

have a plan or do not daytrade LOL

luckily my position is quite small

milwaukee mike

You might be over thinking this a little but classically I get it. Look at it like this 1- its a fixed income type investment 2- little to no capital appreciation will be had. As with most these type investment a little research tells you 85% the price is going down (no hedging, covering, shorting ect) 3- only a portion of portfolio is used but using the investment the same as a long term ladder with cd's. myga, ect ect. We have not even touched the tax benefit from owning these

here is a complete portfolio using 7 year holds contains tickers most probably never heard of each pay monthly
    FAX-global bonds current div. 12.09%
    BIT- corporate bond div. 10.37%
    AWP-world real estate div 12.94%
    UTF-utilities div 8.79%
    EOI-stocks div 8.53%
    GLDI- gold div 13%
    SLVO- silver div 19.22%
    allocation of 100% breakdown
    stocks-34
    bonds-30
    utility-15
    commodities-11
    real estate-10
    i don't trust gldi/slvo... gold is near an all-time high and yet gldi is down over 64% since inception... even if you add dividends that thing is way down, you can just buy GLD and sell calls against it yourself... slvo even worse, down over 80% since inception!

Slurry Pumper

Hi y'all I'm finally back from my couple + weeks of marching around up and down mountains in the Virginia forested areas. 1st I have to say that the 'ole lady put the "vacation" together and touted its virtues of getting out in nature away from all of the worlds modern trappings by sleeping in a tent most nights and waking up with nature everyday. Well let me tell you I've never come off of a vacation thinking that I need a vacation, and after telling me how great it was going to be the 'ole lady was in chronic bitch mode for the first 4 days until she got her walking legs out. I don't think I'll be doing this again any time soon. My idea of roughing it on vacation before this was maybe a forced stay at the motel 6 on a late Sunday night somewhere down south where the bars are closed up.

Anyway, I see the SPY finally got to and broke out above the $422 spot I deemed as my line in the sand. On Thursday, it didn't close above the $422 level, but the writing was on the wall for the short covering rally on Friday so I jumped out of all the Puts I collected in late April and May for about a 35% loss. That's the way options go, big swings of profit or loss. This also brings me to my second point.
    I got this stupid looking solar phone charging thing I've been wearing on my head for the last couple of weeks, and while it does work, when in the forest, the effectiveness is severely reduced. I think I would have been better off if there was a fossil fuel solution like maybe a little RC engine hooked up to a little generator that I could run for about an hour every day. Also the 'ole lady didn't appreciate my wanting to be at the top of a mountain at around 9:30 or 3:30 every week day for some reason, she just couldn't get the idea of that.
    I think going forward now, we are going to be in the summer sideways to melt up situation. A slow grind up over the next couple of months to perhaps $440 in the SPY unless this treasury auction thing pans out with the trillion dollar sale putting pressure on the equities.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

crypto getting whacked

veriableodds
    validation not required

i don't trust gldi/slvo... gold is near an all-time high and yet gldi is down over 64% since inception... even if you add dividends that thing is way down, you can just buy GLD and sell calls against it yourself... slvo even worse, down over 80% since inception!

I understand. For me it provides a vehicle I large into providing income, and tax breaks. Obviously, every investor is different.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    crypto getting whacked
    Dropping like a rock. Contrarian logic?

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    crypto getting whacked

because of SEC suing Binance