sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

Adam Silver on super-teams: ‘Don't think it's good for the league'

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/adam-silver-on-super-teams-dont-think-its-good-for-the-league-164617773.html

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver speaks before Game 1 of the 2016 NBA Finals. (AP/Jeff Chiu, File)
    Kevin Durant’s decision to join the Golden State Warriors in free agency, adding one of the very best basketball players in the world to a star-studded core fresh off winning an NBA-record 73 games and coming within a few minutes of back-to-back NBA titles, has led many observers to all but crown the Warriors as next year’s champions and decry what they perceive as an inevitable elimination of competitive balance throughout the league. While commentators’ anger has tended to focus on Durant for choosing to join the Warriors rather than staying with the Oklahoma City Thunder and attempting to beat them, some have also turned their attention to the NBA itself, wondering how a team that already employs the two-time reigning Most Valuable Player and two highly paid All-Stars could also be allowed to pony up a max deal for Durant without running afoul of salary-cap restrictions … and wondering whether maybe the rules should be changed to prevent such super-powered team-ups in the future.

Manny0825
    Manny0825's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Agreed. The NBA is so top heavy now. Only 3 teams have legit chances of winning now. I prefer a league with the stars spread out.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Terrible for league

His fault too

sk0002
    sk0002's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7156

Quote Originally Posted by Manny0825 View Post
    Agreed. The NBA is so top heavy now. Only 3 teams have legit chances of winning now. I prefer a league with the stars spread out.
    What about MJ Bulls Era, did any team even post any threat to the bulls? lol they could have won 8 in a row if MJ didnt retire. Also, what about the celtics taht won 8 in a row, and the KOBE SHAQ lakers and they could have won more than 3 if not for chemistry problem.. Get over it, this is not the first time league been TOP HEAVY, fool.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Has not been parity in years like other sports

Manny0825

Quote Originally Posted by sk0002 View Post
    What about MJ Bulls Era, did any team even post any threat to the bulls? lol they could have won 8 in a row if MJ didnt retire. Also, what about the celtics taht won 8 in a row, and the KOBE SHAQ lakers and they could have won more than 3 if not for chemistry problem.. Get over it, this is not the first time league been TOP HEAVY, fool.
    When mj was there, there was still way more contenders than what there is now. Same thing with the lakers. Its not the first time the league has been top heavy, but it has NEVER been this top heavy. The ONLY contenders in the leagues are the cavs and golden state. NOBODY else. Not the spurs, not okc, the the bulls, not anybody.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19557

From '80 to '88, the Lakers or Celtics won eight of the nine titles; this is nothing new.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    From '80 to '88, the Lakers or Celtics won eight of the nine titles; this is nothing new.
    I agree with this. I think Silver just wants the rapid growth of the NBA to continue. Even though there's only like 3 dominating teams in the NBA.... it still continues to expand and generate more revenue. It's actually mind boggling.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3229

When mj was there, there was still way more contenders than what there is now. Same thing with the lakers. Its not the first time the league has been top heavy, but it has NEVER been this top heavy. The ONLY contenders in the leagues are the cavs and golden state. NOBODY else. Not the spurs, not okc, the the bulls, not anybody.

Manny0825

You are not getting the point. During those years, players were spread out throughout the league still. They didnt have just 2 teams that could potentially win. While those teams did win, they still have more of an even playing field than they do now.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

I remember the era well and, except for the early 80's when the Sixers were in the mix, those two were the only ones that had a prayer of winning the title.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16125

No shit it's bad for the league. There's a subplot to this though; the removal of max contracts. If that happens it will weaken the players union.

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

its all about the ring baby

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

I remember that era well. Lakers had zero competition to get to the finals, would sweep the WCF or have homecourt advantage nearly every year. Doc and Bird battled it out for a while, but it was the Celtics until the Pistons then bulls came into the mix. I did not know it was 8 or 9 with Moses winning the other against.............................the Lakers.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

It's more likely to see these scenarios play out nowadays because of the relationships the players have off the court. The days of the Celtics hating the Lakers, or the Bulls detesting the Pistons are over. You're more likely to see these guys talk, and play together now like little boys that used to make their clubs, and get together in a tree house. The only difference is that little boys never got paid like these guys do.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    I remember that era well. Lakers had zero competition to get to the finals, would sweep the WCF or have homecourt advantage nearly every year. Doc and Bird battled it out for a while, but it was the Celtics until the Pistons then bulls came into the mix. I did not know it was 8 or 9 with Moses winning the other against.............................the Lakers.
    My Rockets did knock them out a couple of times. I'm sure the Celtics were happy to see that those couple of seasons.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Not good for the league, but I think we are kidding ourselves if we dont acknowledge that the NBA was always top heavy. Going into the seasons there was usually always no more than 3 or 4 teams that was going to win it anyway. Hopefully coaches will just hit the clipboard and find a way to beat State, maybe teams will play basketball the right way more, pass more. Baseball's different, but the Yanks didnt always win with their superteams dont think State will either.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Grits n' Gravy, and bigtymer56

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

This doesn't guarantee anything, I think the Warriors are worse now. Will be fun for Warrior haters to watch them fall.

sk0002

You are kidding if you think any teams other than the mj bulls had a shot during their dynasty run against them. I would say teams now have a better chance beating warriors than mj losing to any other teams back in the day. nobody were even able to force a game 7 against them, let alone beating them. If it wasn't an issue back then, why now. Get over it.

As for other super teams in other era, I'm sure there's a big reason why Celtics won 8 in a row to suggest that nobody could challenge them...there's a reason why they won 8 in a row.

Point is, league has been top heavy before, and if it wasn't an issue back then, why now, get over it. If you think it was competitive before then you are kidding yourself. Maybe you think competing for 2nd place in the league, then sure.
    Last edited by sk0002; 07-13-16 at 08:14 PM.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

You are kidding if you think any teams other than the mj bulls had a shot during their dynasty run against them. I would say teams now have a better chance beating warriors than mj losing to any other teams back in the day. nobody were even able to force a game 7 against them, let alone beating them. If it wasn't an issue back then, why now. Get over it.

As for other super teams in other era, I'm sure there's a big reason why Celtics won 8 in a row to suggest that nobody could challenge them...there's a reason why they won 8 in a row.

Point is, league has been top heavy before, and if it wasn't an issue back then, why now, get over it. If you think it was competitive before then you are kidding yourself. Maybe you think competing for 2nd place in the league, then sure.
    I think it was proven beyond a doubt that the MJ Bulls were miles ahead of the Warriors.

Manny0825

We must have watched different games. Remember the pistons? The ones that were kicking MJs ass. Remember the knicks. Remeber the 76ers. Remember the rockets? Get out of here with that. Mj dominated. No arguement there. But the overall league was much more spread out. You didnt have a team that had steph, kd, green, thompson, iggy, etc. no team in the nba ever had that much talent on one team. Mj was a god. He balled out. But his roster did not accumulate to the talent that the warriors have now. And the celtics either. It wasnt a problem back then because it was actual competition tetion every game. Not these lopsided 2 team contenders only. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Lets agree to disagree here pal and move on.
    Points Awarded:

JayDr3am gave Manny0825 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

Super teams are common in european soccer leagues. They seem to be pretty popular

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Well what can you jew

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

League will opt out in 2017. Work stoppage coming.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    League will opt out in 2017. Work stoppage coming.
    Bingo!

I thought it was summer of 2017 that this would happen...right?

It's going to be Warriors/Cavs next year unless there are significant injuries.

The Spurs are the only team that could possibly challenge them.

There really is no drama in the regular season.....maybe Memphis or the Clippers could keep it close but let's be real.

sk0002

We must have watched different games. Remember the pistons? The ones that were kicking MJs ass. Remember the knicks. Remeber the 76ers. Remember the rockets? Get out of here with that. Mj dominated. No arguement there. But the overall league was much more spread out. You didnt have a team that had steph, kd, green, thompson, iggy, etc. no team in the nba ever had that much talent on one team. Mj was a god. He balled out. But his roster did not accumulate to the talent that the warriors have now. And the celtics either. It wasnt a problem back then because it was actual competition tetion every game. Not these lopsided 2 team contenders only. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Lets agree to disagree here pal and move on.
    You mentioned Pistons, Bulls weren't ready until Pistons gotten old and Bulls were completely different with New system and new coach. Just like the Warriors weren't ready a few years ago and different under a different coach in Mark Jackson. Warriors gotten matured and better as they get into their prime and with a great coach and new system, the same case apply to the BULLS. Bulls were poised to dethrone the Pistons under the new coach Phil jackson and they were matured to overtake the pistons after they gotten older, and the rest was History. After Bulls emergence, nobody came close to their level since then, the gap was Immense, thus TOP HEAVY.....and they even added HOF Dennis Rodman along the way. I would say the level of BULLS from all other teams in the league back in the day was just as big of a gap of level between Warriors from all other teams now. And you mentioned rockets, like really?? They wouldn't have beaten the Bulls if MJ was still playing, case close. Bottom line, TOP HEAVY happened before and it will happen again, get over it.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Super teams are common in european soccer leagues. They seem to be pretty popular
    How do the fans respond to them, do they love it or wish the best were spread out more?

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever

LeBron's team has made the finals six straight years so the East is already way top heavy; the league has done pretty well.

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

yall realize the only reason its top heavy is cause of lebron single handed...

sk0002

Quote Originally Posted by JayDr3am View Post
    yall realize the only reason its top heavy is cause of lebron single handed...
    Kyrie + klove + Tristan Thompson + record breaking payroll....???? Try again. LeBron wasn't an auto finalist until he formed super team with the heat and now cavaliers.

Manny0825

Kyrie + klove + Tristan Thompson + record breaking payroll....???? Try again. LeBron wasn't an auto finalist until he formed super team with the heat and now cavaliers.
    You think the cavs are a super team? Lol. Shump, delly, frye, and jefferson were their bench. Kevin love got benched. Lebron depended on jr, kyrie, and thompson to win the finals. That complete roster without lebron is 3-12. What a super team try again
    Last edited by Manny0825; 07-14-16 at 08:52 AM.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

The problems of the NBA today go far beyond super-teams.

We need a widening and lengthening of the court, and less games.

1)Go back to the best of 5 in all rounds except Conference and League Finals.
    Cut the regular season by 5-10 games.

2) Widen the court by 4 ft, lengthen by 8 ft. More room on the sides
    for 3-point area.

3) Push back the FT line 6 inches.
    Last edited by Snowball; 07-14-16 at 09:21 AM.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Chicago Bulls star Dwyane Wade spoke at length on the sometimes-touchy subject of superteams on Thursday. As well as confirming that he and LeBron James considered joining the Bulls in the summer of 2010 before the Miami Heat reached an agreement with Chris Bosh, Wade said that, when stars team up, it is not just good but "great" for the NBA.
    From ESPN's Nick Friedell:
    "I think certain moments -- it's great," Wade said. "At the end of the day, whether you dislike the Heat or you loved the Heat, you was tuning in to watch the Heat, right? Same thing with Golden State. Whether you dislike what happened with Kevin Durant or whatever the case may be, you're going to tune in to watch, whether you want him to succeed or fail.
    "Our game is growing. Eyes are on our game. And at the end of the day, me as a player, I just love the fact that players have the ability to control their own destiny.
    "That's what we fight for when it comes to lockouts and all these things. We want to be able to do the things we want to be able to do because they can trade us at any moment, they can get rid of us at any moment. So to have the power to be able to do what we did in 2010 -- that felt great. That was a great moment for us. Three young African-American kids got an opportunity to control their own destiny and call their own shots. That's what we wanted. So our game is not taking a hit; our game has only grown."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bu...t-for-the-nba/

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

hard to say much of anything has been bad for the game. revenue is absolutely exploding.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

silver is covering his ass. super teams are great for the league. if the warriors and cavs are in the finals again this year, the ratings will be out of this world.