TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Correct Me If I'm Wrong

There was a game earlier this season with the Detroit Tigers involved. Similar play to Utley situation.

According to the MLB Replay Rule System... you aren't allowed to review a "Neighborhood Play" at 2nd base. The reason why I know this... Ausmus tried to get the umpires to review a call at 2nd base. Player dropped the ball... but umpires called him out. They told Ausmus you aren't allowed to review a "neighborhood play" at any base.

So why did they review the play??? And then overturn it? Weird.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

A big discussion on this happened on Fox, in the after-game show. Some Hispandex dude was like: "oh, the poor kid, that play jeopardized the future of his (10) kids", and some white dude replied: "look Mexican, this is an American sport and this is how it is supposed to be played, quit your whining". That was funny like hell. Gotta say, I am gonna be watching the next game, if I can. Utley did what he needed to do, btw. Too bad, but sh.t happens. Tejada will still make babies, his penis is intact.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57563

Nothing to see here - hard slide, series now 1-1 - best 2 of 3 to advance. Next season Utley will get a fastball upside the head when LA meets NY for first time. Till then moot point...

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Harvey has to bean one of these guys right?! Howie ain't doing anything, Seager goes down swinging then lay one on Gonzo, Mets and crowd will be fired up after that!

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

Not even close to a legal slide. One of the most blatant interference calls I've ever seen in my life.

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

As dirty as it comes... doesn't even start his slide til after the base.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

should be suspended

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    should be murdered
    FYP

teecee
    teecee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2765

If you know you're out at 2nd, you try to break up the double play. If you have a chance to beat the fielder to the bag, your strategy should be to get to the bag. I don't think it was that bad. Tejada wasn't paying attention. That is on him. Doing a pirouette when trying to execute a double play will get you injured.

moses millsap

He slid extremely late and high. Ridiculous as he's a second baseman himself. Somebody will take him out at 2nd next year and send him into a lifetime of paralysis, because that's what this entitled little white shit deserves. He thinks he can do whatever he wants. Utley is your typical SoCal douche without any regard for playing the game the right way.

Collins shouldn't hit anybody in this series. Next time Utley strikes out, the catcher should turn and bean him in the back of the head instead of throwing it to 3rd. penetrate this piece of shit.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2287

I guess you make a slide like that when your a worthless 200 hitter at the end of a career

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2287

I still say he slide after the base if you look closely that's and out

moses millsap

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    I guess you make a slide like that when your a worthless human being
    FYP

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

happens all the time

not dirty

just change rule you cannot go at them

Jeep_Life 42
    Jeep_Life 42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1274

if you can't run into the catcher anymore, how is this still legal?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_Life 42 View Post
    if you can't run into the catcher anymore, how is this still legal?
    I agree

Just change the rule

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Utley wasn't going for the bag.
    Go figure, never would have guessed Utley was an asshole.
    The asshole play woulda been not to slide the way he did. They pay him to play winning baseball. That's what he did.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

This one was worse!
    Shame on the Pirates for not starting an all out brawl after this happened!

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Get AIDS and die
    You're an absolute piece of shit and always will be for posting a comment like this.

Fukk you!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: CWD, and YouHave2outs

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Correct Me If I'm Wrong

There was a game earlier this season with the Detroit Tigers involved. Similar play to Utley situation.

According to the MLB Replay Rule System... you aren't allowed to review a "Neighborhood Play" at 2nd base. The reason why I know this... Ausmus tried to get the umpires to review a call at 2nd base. Player dropped the ball... but umpires called him out. They told Ausmus you aren't allowed to review a "neighborhood play" at any base.

So why did they review the play??? And then overturn it? Weird.
    You're right, you can't review a neighbourhood play. They said this wasn't considered a neighbourhood play because the the throw from Murphy pulled him off the bag and that's why they could review it.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26713

im a met fan and i thought this was a good hard baseball play. since being a little kid we are taught to take out the 2nd baseman was the slide late yes. have we all seen worse absolutely. murphy made a bad toss to the bag that left tejada vulnerable. he should have NEVER had his back to the bag. as a major league middle infielder you know the guy coming in is trying to take you out. that being said i will be at citi monday and tuesday and im looking forward to an insane crowd and retaliation will happen

CTOWNsCAPPIN
    Update your status
    CTOWNsCAPPIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
    You're an absolute piece of shit and always will be for posting a comment like this.

Fukk you!
    Have no respect for people that make ignorant comments like this. Better to be thought as as a tool rather than type and remove all doubt.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post

Fukk you!
    stevenash is is a mean motherfukker when he's on the bottle, which unfortunately is every single afternoon and night.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

What a bunch of wusses in this thread. Props to Utley; too bad the world is full if idiots, who will be trying to get to him from now on.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

fyi, you can't catch aids. aids is not a virus.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11558

Utley made the right play.. No party foul as far as I'm concerned.. Gotta charge into 2nd base trying to bust up that double play which he did in a big game like that.. Solid play..

Tejada thought he was a ballerina spinning around carelessly with feet planted on the turf, his bad clean play...

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

kang and tejada both got fukked but by fully legal plays. they need to change that shit though.

on the other hand, utley saved the doyers season. without that play the doyers lose.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Utley made the right play.. No party foul as far as I'm concerned.. Gotta charge into 2nd base trying to bust up that double play which he did in a big game like that.. Solid play..

Tejado thought he was a ballerina spinning around carelessly with feet planted on the turf, his bad clean play...
    hey jibbby did you see utley get kneed in the face and get right back up? most would've got knock the fukk out. he's got a fukking chin.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    hey jibbby did you see utley get kneed in the face and get right back up? most would've got knock the fukk out. he's got a fukking chin.
    I did see that, very clean landed up knee, MMA Style.. Could have KO'd him easily. He took it well.. First thing I thought of when I saw that live.. Lol...

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMan View Post
    You're right, you can't review a neighbourhood play. They said this wasn't considered a neighbourhood play because the the throw from Murphy pulled him off the bag and that's why they could review it.
    Didn't get a chance to watch the game. I did see the replays on ESPN. Funny thing is... that player's foot was A LOT CLOSER to 2nd base (tagging it) than the play earlier in the year... regarding the Tigers. To me... it should still be a "neighborhood play" and not be reviewable. I hate inconsistency in regards to officiating... in any sport. Horrible.

Ebe
    28-1
    Ebe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15

Theres no question that he slid too late. Does it happen often, sure but this one was pretty bad. That being said, he wasnt trying to injure him.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sport(s) are certainly changing. Concussion protocols, media coverage, lawsuits, research etc will continue to slowly change things. Personally I grew up running the catcher over and trying to murder the ss turning the dp, but I understand things change and at least from a health standpoint can be better for guys after they are retired or protecting their careers.

The uproar over this will no doubt cause some changes to the rules.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^^^Yep, back in the day you could run full speed into the catcher at home plate with every intention to kill him.. Now you catch shiiit for a wide slide into second base to break up the double play..

I don't like Baseball changing rules and getting away from the contact aspect of it.. These plays make MLB exciting. Violent collisions at the plate I miss.. ...

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    Joe Torre explanation, if tejeda tags utley then he is out regardless. Why the penetrate is tejeda tagging him if he just ruled him out? Fuxk utley he's small time throw it at gonzalez forehead
    I like your style

LastManOnMars
    LastManOnMars's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good hard slide.

Changed the momentum of the series.

First 123 Last