bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Breakdown

Gruden arrived in Tampa Bay in 2002 to take over a team that had been on the cusp of playoff success for several years. Gruden promptly led the Bucs to the Super Bowl bringing the franchise it’s first World Championship. Gruden knew the team was a timebomb, with age and salary cap issues mounting quickly. He preceded to slowly dismantle the Bucs, sending away team mainstays like John Lynch and Warrick Dunn. Popular players in the locker room and community. Gruden set out to build the Bucs more in his image, as opposed to former coach Tony Dungy. Last year that construction came full circle as the Bucs finshed 11-5 and won the NFC South. The Bucs did lose a tough playoff game at home to Washington, but with a young quarterback in Chris Simms, a young running back in Cadillac Williams, and a young receiver in Marc Clayton the Bucs are poised to make another prolonged run at Super Bowl success.

Team Strengths:
    The Bucs have traditionally been known for their defense. Derrick Brooks, Simeon Rice, Ronde Barber are all great players, but all are also one year older, one year slower. The team has focused much of it’s attention on the offense and the defense has grown a little long in the tooth. They are still strong and can still get it done. I really like Chris Simms. He has the size, tools. and pedigree to be a great quarterback in this league. Cadillac Williams started strong last season before breaking down. His health will be key. March Clayton and Joey Galloway form an above average receiving corp. Gruden is as good at it gets.

Team Weaknesses:
    Though the defense is still above average there are holes. The D-Line is anchored by Chris Hovan, fiery but undersized. Teams are going to double Simeon Rice so someone wles is going to have to make plays. The offense was controlled by good teams late in the season as seen in lopsided losses to New England late in the season and the playoff loss to Washington. Simms is still young and needs to make quicker decisions. The coaching staff has been decimated, as other teams have ripped quality assistants away. The offensive line has several question marks as well and Simms needs to have time to throw.

2006 Tampa Bay Schedule:

Baltimore
    @Atlanta
    Carolina
    @New Orleans
    Cincinnati
    Philadelphia
    @NY Giants
    New Orleans
    @Carolina
    Washington
    @Dallas
    @Pittsburgh
    Atlanta
    @Chicago
    @Cleveland
    Seattle

Tampa has alot of young talent. They also have alot of proven veteran leadership. Many times these ingredients provide for success in the NFL. This is surely the case in Tampa, but alot of teams that have young quarterbacks take a step back after experienceing a little success and that is my take on Tampa. My projection for the Bucs is 8-8

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Dan, I think you need to accentuate the weakness here: CHRIS SIMMS. I can't get on board with a team that has Chris Simms as their starting QB. I love Cadillac but if Simms can't loosen it up then they are not going to be good.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but this team is going to be under .500 in my opinion. Simms couldn't figure out Stoops' defense at Oklahoma. I don't see him getting any better.

E

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

no worries in regards to hijacking the thread bud. i'd like to read other opinions.