onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Eric Gagne to have surgery on elbow.

I feel sorry for all those that drafted this guy high in the fantasy drafts. You had to see this coming.

Gagne to have second surgery on pitching arm

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers closer Eric Gagne will have surgery Friday to remove a nerve from his pitching elbow, his second arm operation in less than a year.

Team spokesman Josh Rawitch said there was no timetable for the return of Gagne, who saved 152 games from 2002-04 and was a near-unanimous winner of the NL Cy Young Award in 2003.

Rawitch said surgery on the 30-year-old right-hander will be performed by Dr. Frank Jobe and Dr. Ralph Gambardella of the team's medical staff at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles. It's the same nerve that was moved during an operation last June.

"I'm very disappointed because I thought this would be behind us," Gagne said in a statement issued through the Dodgers. "It was a decision where I wanted to be 100 percent and be myself and enjoy it because I can't pitch with that kind of pain."

Gagne had eight saves in as many chances in 14 games last season. He didn't pitch in the Dodgers' first three games this year, sitting out an 11-10 season-opening loss Monday to Atlanta in a game Los Angeles never led, and serving a two-game suspension after that.

The Dodgers acquired Danys Baez from Tampa Bay during the offseason. Baez saved 41 games last season and pitched a scoreless ninth for a save in the team's lone victory so far this year, a 5-4 triumph over Atlanta on Tuesday night.

The Dodgers, idle Thursday, begin a three-game series Friday night in Philadelphia.

Gagne pitched in 10 games during the exhibition season, allowing five earned runs. His last outing was Friday night in an exhibition game against the Los Angeles Angels.

Rawitch said Gagne will be placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Saturday, and the Dodgers will purchase the contract of 36-year-old right-hander Takashi Saito from Triple-A Las Vegas.

Saito agreed to a minor league contract with the Dodgers in February. He spent most of his 14-year career with Yokohama Baystars in Japan's Central League, compiling an 87-78 record with 48 saves. Saito had a 4.09 ERA in 11 innings for the Dodgers during the exhibition season.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

forget those fantasy owners. i feel sorry for the dodgers, and there fans.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you guys like the Dodgers in the future I would only bet the first five innings.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Great news to hear being a Giants fan

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Something always happen to the dodgers. It is awful being a Dodger
    fan.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

Well they did pick up Dany Baez, so he will probably be getting the role of the closer. He use to do a decent job for Tampa.

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28246

this will be a minor intervention of 20 min and gagne will be back throwing within 3 weeks. This is a big year for gagne, he is in its last year of a 2year 19M$ contract and will be a free agent for the first time of his career next year. With the amount of money some free agent closers got this year Gagne will want a piece of the pie.