Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Trivia: Of all the 4-game sweeps in World Series history, which one(s) had the closest total scoring margin between the two teams?

Regular season win totals. 'Close' defined as games decided by 2 runs or less:

2005. . . . . CLOSE. . . REST
    White Sox . . 59-33. . . 40-30
    Astros. . . . 38-37. . . 51-36

2005. . . . . 1-RUN. . . REST
    White Sox . . 35-14. . . 64-49
    Astros. . . . 24-21. . . 65-52

There are your numbers for your 2005 pennant winners. The White Sox were unreal in 1-run games, no doubt. And it will be tough for them to reel off better than a .700 clip again this year in the column. The Astros also should've been better than just 24-21 in the 1-run games. Look no further than all of the 1-0 losses they endured when Clemens was on the hill.

However the Astros, in my experience, were a bigger anomaly last year than the ChiSox. Why? Because of their roller coaster offense that couldn't score when Clemens was on the mound yet somehow managed to break out a can of whupass in other games for 51 wins by 3 runs or more. A team can get on a roll and find itself in a lot of 1- or 2-run games easier than a team can lose 1-0, win 7-2, lose 2-1, win 8-3.

Trivia Answer: The White Sox swept the Astros in 2005 by a total of 6 runs (20-14) to tie the 1950 Yankees who swept the Phillies by 6 runs (11-5). Those are your closest, in terms of total score, World Series sweeps.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i knew it was right around that range willie Bee. theres no way there gonna have a repeat preformence as they did last year.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    thats what i've been trying to tell everyone rich, but they call me stupid over it.
    Well I'm hearing you BBD.

Did the White Sox have the best players last year? No

Were they the best team last year? Yes

If they want to repeat last year then they're going to play out of their skins to the same level next year. Statistics would dictate that that won't happen again.

presley177
    presley177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax
    Well I'm hearing you BBD.

Did the White Sox have the best players last year? No

Were they the best team last year? Yes

If they want to repeat last year then they're going to play out of their skins to the same level next year. Statistics would dictate that that won't happen again.

If their pitching statistics are like last year...statistics *will* show that if they don't repeat, they'll come pretty close.

Willie Bee

theres no way there gonna have a repeat preformence as they did last year.
    If you mean you don't think the White Sox will go 35-14 again in 1-run games, I agree. That's a lot to ask. But they were also damn impressive in 2-run games, and I can see them holding that mark, plus could certainly improve by 4-6 games in the blowouts.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee
    If you mean you don't think the White Sox will go 35-14 again in 1-run games, I agree. That's a lot to ask. But they were also damn impressive in 2-run games, and I can see them holding that mark, plus could certainly improve by 4-6 games in the blowouts.
    -10,000 says dan disagrees with you.

Willie Bee

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    -10,000 says dan disagrees with you.
    :+textinbu

Disagreement with open discussion is good and fine by me. When everyone does agree with me, that's when I get a little scared

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Fine, for 3 dimes, but I want $200 per game the Sox win the central by. I will give you $200 additional per game if I lose.

i guess we dont have a bet then ILL, sense you didn't post up your money.

Illusion

i guess we dont have a bet then ILL, sense you didn't post up your money.
    Last time I checked neither did you.

bigboydan

i'll send looker the money tonight then. you just make sure you do the same if you still feel that confident about your white sox that is

Illusion

When I get back from dinner I will send it over.

Willie Bee

Pinnacle's break has dropped a dubya to 89½ since late February with the o(+112) and u(-128).

Greek also cuts it at 89½ ... o(+105) and u(-125).

bigboydan

i still like the tribe to go over that 89.5

Willie Bee

My Play: Wahoo fans won’t like my projection of 90 wins after the Indians won 93 last year. But if I went by what fans wanted to see every MLB team would have 100-win projections. The o/u line at Pinnacle is currently 90½ and the few pitching concerns have me leaning under.
    A lot of people are walking around shaking their heads and asking, "What's wrong with the Tribe this year?" After winning 93 games in 2005, Cleveland sits just 24-26 this morning at the 50-game mark.

Point is, the Indians aren't doing much worse at this point in the 2006 season as they were in 2005 when they finished May with a 25-25 record. That club promptly lost their first four games in June 2005 then got everything together to eventually put a big scare in the White Sox for the AL Central, as well as finish just out of the playoff hunt for the AL wildcard.

One thing not troubling the Indians so far is offense as they rank second in the Junior Circuit with a .287 batting average and 284 runs scored, plus have a team OPS of .820, good for third in the AL. Casey Blake (.329, 9 HR) has turned his down 2005 around. Blake, along with Troy Hafner (.309, 14 HR) and Grady Sizemore (.300, 9 HR) have provided the bulk of the pop in the order, accounting for over 54% of the long balls this season. Victor Martinez has slowed down some after a strong start, and the middle infield tandem of Jhonny Peralta and Ronnie Belliard, outstanding in 2005, have yet to get things going in 2006.

Pitching has brought the Indians back down to earth after high expectations fell on the club entering '06. The staff ERA is a lofty 4.91, though they do have a solid K:BB ratio (2.04). The rotation undoubtedly missed CC Sabathia earlier when he was on the DL. The portly portsider is the only member of the rotation with an ERA below 5.22, and that simply has to turn around if Cleveland is going to go on another tear and get back into the AL Central race that has been dominated up to now by the defending champs White Sox and the upstart Tigers.

If manager Eric Wedge is going to lead this team on another June run, he's going to have to do it against a tough slate. From now until the All-Star break, the Indians have just four series against clubs who currently sport a record under .500 (Angels, June 2-5; A's, June 6-8; Cubs, June 19-21; and O's July 7-9). Others on their slate include the White Sox (5 games), Yankees (7), Brewers (3), Reds (6) and Cardinals (3).

tacomax

Just found this thread after for searching for something else. Did this bet get settled?

bigboydan

This bet was settled up a long time ago Taco.

stump
    stump's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

I watched a lot of Cleveland games on the dish last year, and they were the worst fundamental team I have seen in a long time. Errors, walks, poor situational hitting all contributed to their season. Wedge will be on the hot seat right away if their play does not improve.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    This bet was settled up a long time ago Taco.
    Wondered why you were so happy over the autumn and winter.

bigboydan

It's like they just gave up on the season or something after Detroit went on that huge run to start off the season. I look for them to rebound quite nicely this year though Stump.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    Wondered why you were so happy over the autumn and winter.

That was rather painful indeed taco.

I don't think the tribe will quit this year though like they did last year.

tacomax

Quote Originally Posted by stump View Post
    I watched a lot of Cleveland games on the dish last year, and they were the worst fundamental team I have seen in a long time. Errors, walks, poor situational hitting all contributed to their season. Wedge will be on the hot seat right away if their play does not improve.
    And conversely, they were one of the most exciting teams in the second half of the season before. It's a funny old game.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by tacomax View Post
    And conversely, they were one of the most exciting teams in the second half of the season before. It's a funny old game.
    your not kidding they were. The tribe reminded me of of the Twins did last year. It was just one monster run they went on.

First 12