No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Line movement: early better than late?

I've noticed that initial line movement has fared much better than last-minute when I've paid attention. Is this just a trend and part of the ebbs and flows of the game, or should I start using this as more of an indicator?

Late money seems to fare much better in basketball than baseball, for whatever reason.

limitation
    limitation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

If you want the favorites, it's better to take the early line and lay down the chalk. Most of the times the opening lines are the best if you want to play the favorite. Last night, I got CWS at -145. By game time, the line is at around 158. If you want to play the favorite, take them early. Don't wait till last minute. Last minute are good to take on underdogs since public likes to pick on the favorites and line gets pushed.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by limitation View Post
    If you want the favorites, it's better to take the early line and lay down the chalk. Most of the times the opening lines are the best if you want to play the favorite. Last night, I got CWS at -145. By game time, the line is at around 158. If you want to play the favorite, take them early. Don't wait till last minute. Last minute are good to take on underdogs since public likes to pick on the favorites and line gets pushed.
    I guess I worded my question wrong. I agree with what you're saying; I'm just commenting on the # of plays that cash with early line movement vs. late. For instance, look at the initial line movement for the D'Backs and Giants. Sharps loved both of them when the lines were first released on Saturday.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Here are the initial movement plays for Monday (significant line movement = 7 or more cent jump right off the bat; medium = 4-6 cents; small = 3 cents or less):

St. Louis (medium)
    Boston (small)
    Yankees (small)
    Pittsburgh (small)
    Atlanta (small)

None of the other lines moved.

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

line shopping is way better to do early because the lines are much more varied. fact. i read it in a study also

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Here are the initial movement plays for Monday (significant line movement = 7 or more cent jump right off the bat; medium = 4-6 cents; small = 3 cents or less):

St. Louis (medium)
    Boston (small)
    Yankees (small)
    Pittsburgh (small)
    Atlanta (small)

None of the other lines moved.
    I bet those go 3 for 5 at least.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

It's hard to say No Coin. Sharps could jump on a line early, especially a favorite. The could jump on a favorite late because the public is betting against them. I'm sure sharps always jump on a dog at the last minute. It's probably best to watch the early and the late.

PuckCoach
    PuckCoach's Avatar Become A Pro!

Late line moves are often just public runs fueled by speculation. I look at early movement.

Dexter
    Update your status
    Dexter's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I've noticed that initial line movement has fared much better than last-minute when I've paid attention. Is this just a trend and part of the ebbs and flows of the game, or should I start using this as more of an indicator?

Late money seems to fare much better in basketball than baseball, for whatever reason.
    im a big believer in early money being sharp money. avg joes arent making plays on the overnight lines.

problem is, you need to act fast and have multiple books if you are simply following the movement.

dogman
    dogman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10911

You will get the most value if you bet early

JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!

From what I have read...the early correction off the overnight....is the sharps..the closing line is more of a true indicator of fair market value...however the sharps (when setting the line) have to account for public perception,injuries,empires etc.....the goal is to find the "intrinsic worth" of a given game..vs the oddsmakers line...to estimate value....think that you have to be somewhat of a "stockmarket analyst" to do this...only have to be right 53/54% of the time...for sustainable edge.....