aje
    aje's Avatar Become A Pro!

Orioles deal reliever, prospect in exchange for Benson

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Orioles added much-needed experience to their starting rotation Saturday, acquiring right-hander Kris Benson from the New York Mets for right-handers Jorge Julio and John Maine.

Benson went 10-8 with a 4.13 ERA in 28 starts for New York last year. Despite spending all of April on the disabled list, he finished third on the Mets' staff in wins and starts.

"This gives us credibility in our starting rotation. We needed a veteran presence," Orioles first-year manager Sam Perlozzo said. "We don't need him to carry this staff; we just want him to pitch well. It's a great addition."

Perlozzo believes Benson has a decent shot of seizing the No. 1 spot in a rotation that tentatively includes Rodrigo Lopez, Erik Bedard, Daniel Cabrera and Bruce Chen.

For the Full Story
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2300779

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i must say, that was a good move for the mets. because, they need bullpen help.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i must say, that was a good move for the mets. because, they need bullpen help.
    How would his departure help the Mets bullpen?

Winston Smith
    Winston Smith's Avatar Become A Pro!

I assume he's referring to obtaining Jorge Julio. I don't know that a guy with an ERA over 5 was really what they needed.

This was a dump of a salary and a wife, more or less.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    How would his departure help the Mets bullpen?
    the guys got really good stuff ILL. maybe a change might just be what he needed.