bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

White Sox resigned Garland

White Sox sign Garland to three-year, $29-million contract

By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
    December 28, 2005

CHICAGO (AP) -- Jon Garland might have signed a longer contract for more money next year. But that didn't matter to him.

The White Sox pitcher agreed to a three-year, $29 million contract Wednesday with the 2005 World Series champions and avoided salary arbitration.

"I love the city," Garland said during a conference call with reporters. "It's where I wanted to play, where I wanted to be. And I'm happy to be there."

The 26-year-old right-hander who was eligible to become a free agent after the 2006 season, will receive $7 million next year, $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in 2008, according to the White Sox.

Before getting on the call, Garland had just completed a throwing session on a Little League field, where he was nearly kicked off by an official.

"Nobody knows who I am," Garland said in jest.

Chicago and its fans certainly do.

He went 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA and led the American League with three shutouts last season with the White Sox. He threw three complete games and struck out 115 in 32 starts.

Garland, who was an AL All-Star team last season, went 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA in two postseason starts, including a complete-game victory against the Los Angeles Angels in Game 3 of the ALCS.

Garland is 64-61 with a 4.42 ERA in 181 career games over six seasons, all with the White Sox.

Jon stepped up," general manager Ken Williams said. "He made a statement about who he is. He could have gone the free agent route next year and potentially commanded more years and more money. That was less of a concern than his wanting to be here."

Joe Crede and Rob Mackowiak are now the only White Sox players eligible for salary arbitration.

There was speculation that the White Sox would look to trade Garland rather than risk losing him to free agency had a deal not been reached. But either way, Garland said he did not want to switch teams.

"It's something that I was going to do from the very start," Garland said. "I wanted to sign a long-term deal with the White Sox. I wasn't looking to break the bank."

The White Sox tied Cleveland for first in the American League with a 3.61 ERA, and Mark Buehrle, Garland, Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras pitched consecutive complete games against the Angels in the AL championship series.

Despite winning their first World Series since 1917, the White Sox have been busy in the offseason.

They re-signed free agent first baseman Paul Konerko. They traded center fielder Aaron Rowand to Philadelphia for slugger Jim Thome, acquired Mackowiak from Pittsburgh, and landed pitcher Javier Vazquez from Arizona for Orlando Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and minor league outfielder Chris Young. And they avoided arbitration with catcher A.J. Pierzynski, signing him to a three-year deal.

"I'm probably the only guy in Chicago who doesn't have the luxury of relishing in the sentimentality of what happened last season," Williams said. "The defeatist attitude that we'll always be Chicago's second team doesn't fly with me."

The White Sox still have six starting pitchers, and Contreras has one year left on his contract.

"Our ultimate desire ... was to keep this team intact," Williams said. "It may turn out that someone overwhelms us with an offer for Jose."

Garland said the activity this offseason is "good to see." He considers it a sign that Williams is trying to "do bigger and better things." But duplicating last season's magic will be difficult because that team clicked from the start of spring training.

"From Day 1, everybody got along," Garland said. "If we can start off spring training the way we did last season, we're gonna have a good shot."

bigboydan

i guess they wanted to keep there staff togather for another year.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Garland finally had a break out year and he's being rewarded for it. Hopefully he repeats what he did in '05.

bigboydan

i still wonder if he can repeat the 2005 season in 2006. i personaly doubt he can.

Illusion

He has all the potential in the world and he finally got over the hump last season. He should be fine.

bigboydan

well see if he can ILL, although i'm betting against it.

Illusion

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    well see if he can ILL, although i'm betting against it.
    ok

sharp_E
    sharp_E's Avatar Become A Pro!

good resigning

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Good job for the Sox. Now lets see if Garland can keep up the good pitching.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by sharp_E
    good resigning
    i don't think so sharpE

this guy has had one good year and, now the sox are gonna see that it was a mistake come next year just watch.

Illusion

He would be a 1 or 2 on most other teams and he will probably be our 4-5 guy.

bigboydan

that should tell you how sad the MLB pitching is in this day and age.

Illusion

This is gonna be one of the best starting staffs ever, you just watch.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    This is gonna be one of the best starting staffs ever, you just watch.
    i doubt it ILL, i think your gonna see a few of these guys have sub par years.

Illusion

Who has a better startung staff then?