slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

Dave Roberts the LA Dodgers manager

Is anyone worried about his future will he be LA Manager next year

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Nope. Is it his fault that his hitters stop hitting? That Clayton Kershaw turns into Cy Yuck come playoff time? Did Roberts make a critical strategy error that cost his team?

alta
    alta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10359

I hope the Dodgers keep Roberts as Manager forever.
    Losers deserve losers.
    Dodgers are much like the Braves of the early 90's.
    Great teams on paper.

mackave
    mackave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8429

padres rake , let’s goooo

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think it’s time for him to go. He is totally underachieved when it counts.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

Roberts still lives in San Diego...he knows LA is a shitehole

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

They have a lot of players who are regular season warriors but chokes in the playoffs( Kershaw, Betts, Turner).

The Yankees and the dodgers should shut up about the Astros cheating. The Astros were and still are better than them.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Sledge187

teecee
    teecee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2879

Quote Originally Posted by alta View Post
    I hope the Dodgers keep Roberts as Manager forever.
    Losers deserve losers.
    Dodgers are much like the Braves of the early 90's.
    Great teams on paper.
    No, the Braves were a great team in the 90's, period.

jjgold

Baseball has way too many pitching changes and rarely works

Lets guys get out of it

teecee

Can you imagine bringing this idea to the decision makers in that organization. 'Hey guys, let's can the manager that just won 112 games.' 'Whatta ya think?'

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by champlain View Post
    They have a lot of players who are regular season warriors but chokes in the playoffs( Kershaw, Betts, Turner).

The Yankees and the dodgers should shut up about the Astros cheating. The Astros were and still are better than them.
    I watched a few interviews with Betts the past couple of games and am not impressed. He doesn't seem to have the drive or passion needed. If I was a Dodgers fan, I'd be upset with his attitude about losing.. he doesn't seem to care.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    Can you imagine bringing this idea to the decision makers in that organization. 'Hey guys, let's can the manager that just won 112 games.' 'Whatta ya think?'
    Sounds like when the Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season.

That said, Marty was a very good head coach, Roberts is not. I think the dodgers would be better with a more experienced manager but who knows.
    Points Awarded:

brendon gave JAKEPEAVY21 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I don't know how any team can win 111 games... and have an early exit like that??? You have to blame the coach.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I don't know how any team can win 111 games... and have an early exit like that??? You have to blame the coach.
    1000000000%

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7708

Dodgers after all these years only won a world series in a covid shortened season.

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    I watched a few interviews with Betts the past couple of games and am not impressed. He doesn't seem to have the drive or passion needed. If I was a Dodgers fan, I'd be upset with his attitude about losing.. he doesn't seem to care.
    Betts has 4 home runs in 55 postseason games while Altuve has 23 home runs in 82 postseason games. Betts is always talked about like perhaps the best player in baseball by the media but this guy hasn’t had a big hit in a postseason that you can remember even though he plays on the best franchises all his career.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

It's called baseball; anything can happen in a five game series.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7708

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    It's called baseball; anything can happen in a five game series.
    Do you know how many times the Dodgers lost 3 in a row this year? Honest question

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 877

No. Nobody gives a fukk about the future of a millionaire underperforming manager. Get a life.

play4win
    play4win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5173

that bum coach was placed there as a jinx.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Dodgers had that game in hand until Roberts went to his bullpen. Who do you blame Roberts or the shit Pitchers?

I always said put in your best horses to finish the race when the season is on the line in an elimination game. Anything and everything goes! You can rest your arms in the off season.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by champlain View Post
    Betts has 4 home runs in 55 postseason games while Altuve has 23 home runs in 82 postseason games. Betts is always talked about like perhaps the best player in baseball by the media but this guy hasn’t had a big hit in a postseason that you can remember even though he plays on the best franchises all his career.
    He has a ton of talent obviously but not sure he has the heart or passion.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

because it's a postseason series not a postseason season. warriors didnt win the chip after winning 73 games

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Major Dodger fail after winning 111 games.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave DiggityDaggityDo 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Vastly overrated manager.
    He milked that stolen base in 2004 for everything it was worth.

Should have more than that one championship in 2020 considering the all world talent he's had to work with.
    And that 2020 season should have an asterisk next to it, COVID shortened the league to just 60 games, not to mention that WS was gifted to him by Kevin Cash.

Should have more than three pennants with all that lalent.
    Joe Torre won four championships and six pennants in the same amount of time, with pretty much equal talent to work with that Roberts had/has. Maybe Torre's Yankees were a little deeper than Robert's teams, but not by that much.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

They were extremely good all year, it really helped to have so many games vs Colorado, Arizona and a bag SF team in their division this year

mackave
    mackave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8429

keep sukking the dodgers dicks and backing them , hope you guys only betting air or peanuts

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16303

Hopefully everyone believes now like i have said all along.2020 does not count.Dodgers still have not won a title since 88.

teecee

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Sounds like when the Chargers fired Marty Schottenheimer after a 14-2 season.

That said, Marty was a very good head coach, Roberts is not. I think the dodgers would be better with a more experienced manager but who knows.
    Cool. One other example. I'm not arguing with you, I just think it's comical, that coach/manager always the scapegoat when players underperform.

teecee

I just see it all the time in Cincinnati. Players are usually garbage and the manager comes under fire. If any good players develop, they quickly peace out and they are left with scrubs again. Rinse and repeat. Like getting a new manager will help that.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post
    I just see it all the time in Cincinnati. Players are usually garbage and the manager comes under fire. If any good players develop, they quickly peace out and they are left with scrubs again. Rinse and repeat. Like getting a new manager will help that.
    Earl Weaver once said in an interview a long, long time ago when asked how many games a season is a good manager worth?
    Weave said a good manager is worth five wins more a season, and conversely a shit manager is worth five losses more a season.

I can buy that.

Ned Yost, the manager of my all time favorite team in 2015, set the lineup, patted his guys on the butt and said "Go have fun"
    Yost had the formula, let the starters go five or six innings, turn it over to Herrera, than Holland, close it out with Wade Davis.
    Game over.

Yost was the least hands on manager I've ever seen.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Do you know how many times the Dodgers lost 3 in a row this year? Honest question
    No I don't but it's irrelevant. Great teams go down all the time in the playoffs; after the Yankees won their third straight in 2000, they had one of the best teams in the league almost every year for the next 10-12 years yet only won one more title. Everyone remembers the three straight but nobody remembers all the failures after that.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

All I know is his job is on the line. They didn't go out to buy up everything the last few years not to win it all.

stevenash

This isn't my daddy's and granddaddy's MLB anymore.
    Back in those days the players made shit for money and had absolutely no leverage.
    Back in those days the manager had the hammer.

No longer.
    The players have all the leverage, they're the one's the owners pay 100's of millions of dollars across eight or more years.
    The players are the one's that have the security blanket.
    If a few players didn't like the way the manager does things, or whatever and has the ears of ownership, what's an owner to do or GM?
    The player(s) can't be sent down any longer to AAA, they can't be released, well they can be at the cost of millions to the owners.
    Get my point yet?

Joe Girardi is the only manager in the history of MLB to win a manager of the year award only to get shitcanned the very same offseason.
    Joe Girardi gets shitcanned in the middle of this season, the players respond, now look, they are on the verge of a Cinderella story of a generation.

A third place finisher in the NL East is on the verge of a NL pennant.
    What's that say for Girardi?
    It says he pissed off a lot of players, (ask Mike Mussina what he thought of Girardi) along the way.
    He's annoying AF they say, he's anal retentive they say and so on.
    Bottom line, bye bye Joe.

In the 1960's and 1970's nobody, I mean nobody wanted to play for Billy Martin.
    He was abusive, a drunk, and whole lot of other things.

Martin took over five different teams, all floundering teams at the time, turned all of them into instant contenders, and won four pennants with four of those five teams.
    That's why owners kept hiring him to manage their clubs, he was a managerial genius, a magician.

You can't get away with the shit Martin did today.
    Billy got himself fired all those times, the players couldn't do shit about it, the owners that fired him didn't want to, they were forced into it.
    Billy's antics were bad for business.

Sparky Lyle once said "When you start talking about firing Billy Martin, you might as well stab him with a knife"

Not for nothing, the only knock on Martin as a manager was his pitching philosophy.
    Martin believed his starters should all pitch into the eighth inning, and turn the game over to his closer for an inning ot two, when closers all pretty much pitched more than inning. Martin had a penchant for overextending his starting pitchers.
    Martin didn't believe in a bullpen besiders the fireman.
    But that's another story for another day.

To make a long story short (which I am not capable of doing, brevity not being my forte and all) in today's MLB, it's not enough to just win games, you need to be a 'player's manager', you need to appease the owners and GM, you need to walk a razor thin tightrope.
    If you piss off the wrong player(s), you're gone.
    If you don't appease your boss, you're gone.
    You can win 100 games a season, every season, that's still not enough.

I like Dave Roberts as a person, when he was here in New England, he was very well liked, nice guy.
    His teams win 100 games, but with that talent the players can win 100 a year without a bench manager.
    He should have more than three pennants in almost eight seasons.
    Something isn't quite right there.
    Last edited by stevenash; 10-16-22 at 09:35 PM.

12 Last