BouncedCheck
    BouncedCheck's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chases for this week and a new way of looking at it

I know a lot of respected people here don't like any sort of chase system, and that's fine. I realized during the NBA finals that a 3-game baseball chase isn't really a chase at all. It's basically a single bet at very high odds that a team will win one of the next three games it plays. I don't mean to overstate the obvious, but I really gained a different, better perspective on what it means to lose approximately 12 units on a series sweep when the Cardinals couldn't get a win against Colorado the weekend before last.

For example, when the Lakers went up 3-1, the price on them to win the series was -1700 or -1750, I don't remember which. That was basically a 3-game chase bet. Take the Lakers at that price on a bet that they'll win one of the next three games. As it turned out, they won the first game of that chase and then it was over.

In baseball, if you start chasing a team, and it's even money every game, it's the equivalent of -700 to win one of three.

At -150 per game, it's the equivalent of -1625 to win one of three.

At -200 per game, it's equal to -2600.

So really, when you're involved in a three-game chase, the question is, are you comfortable with your total odds?

I'm chasing the Dodgers against Oakland, and then starting Friday, I'm probably going to chase the Twins against Houston, assuming the Dodgers don't get swept and wipe me out.

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Dodgers are my chase pick also. But this time around...unlike the Cards/rockies series I will start and stay smaller with unit size... That series hurt me... But I just went on a 6-0 run after that and needed it...