Cyclone24
    Cyclone24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 735

How does Japanese baseball work?

I never bet on it but while looking through today's offer I saw this match: Chiba Lotte Marines - Rakuten Gold. Eagles

Chiba Lotte Marines are 1st in their division, 8 wins, 1 draw, 4 loses, 40-31 runs;
    while Rakuten Gold. Eagles are 5th place on the same division with 4 wins, 1 draw, 9 loses, 39-50 runs.
    http://www.oddsportal.com/baseball/japan/npb/standings/

The odds for this match are like this: Chiba Lotte Marines 2.31 - 1.68 Rakuten Gold. Eagles (with Chiba Lotte Marines playing at home).

So what is going on?

BigBurk
    BigBurk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5461

No idea!

When I saw the thread title I was planning to reply "exactly the same as US baseball, but with chopsticks". That one didn't work though.

Cyclone24

Sorry for the title; but here's another match with weird odds (also played today):
    Seibu Lions 1.80 - 2.13 Nippon Ham Fighters

Seibu Lions, last place in their division, 3wins, 0draws, 8loses, 23-51 runs;
    Nippon Ham Fighters, 3rd place in the same division, 10wins, 0draws, 7loses, 73-35 runs.

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

NPB can be unpredictable, it is also early in the season and a limited sample size of win/loss stats wont show the full picture. They also have a pitching rotation, just like MLB, so if a team with a good record is starting with a below average pitcher, then previous record is not going to help them.

Hardest thing is trying to find info on pitching staff.

Cyclone24

Quote Originally Posted by MatI View Post
    NPB can be unpredictable, it is also early in the season and a limited sample size of win/loss stats wont show the full picture. They also have a pitching rotation, just like MLB, so if a team with a good record is starting with a below average pitcher, then previous record is not going to help them.

Hardest thing is trying to find info on pitching staff.
    Ok, thanks for the answer. I will probably stay away from it then ^^

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

In NPB (Japan MLB) if a game is tied after nine innings, they play up to an additional 3 innings, if the game is still tied at the end of the 12th innings, the game is considered a draw. In the postseason playoffs, if a game is tied after nine innings, they will play up to an additional 6 innings, if a playoff game is still tied after the 15th, the game will be replayed from scratch.

Used to be in Japan baseball, teams did not have a set rotation, it was pretty much helter skelter, today in NPB, most teams use a six pitcher starter rotation, but it's not as cut a dried there as it is here, where say, if Kershaw starts on Tuesday, you know he will start again on Sunday.

Regarding NPB stats, though it's not as detailed as some of the MLB websites, this one isn't bad.

http://bis.npb.or.jp/eng/2012/stats/idp1_h.html
    Last edited by stevenash; 04-19-12 at 04:49 AM.

BathingApe
    BathingApe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 662

I played a lot of Japanese baseball last year. One thing to keep in mind is that the O/U's are very small for the most part. Some games where Darvish pitched it was 5. I do my research on yakyuubaka.com and yahoo japan. The best teams if I recall last year were the softbank hawks, orix buffaloes, nippon ham fighters, and one other I can't think of. Games will end in ties after roughly 10 innings. I think it's based on amount of time that has been passed since it might have to do with train scheduling (purely a guess). I've seen some games go 12 innings, some will end in ties after 9.

I would not play this early in the season, best time to play is mid season when you can get a feel for how certain teams are offensively and be able to recognize when there are good opportunities to slam the under on certain games.

Gndias
    Gndias's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2596

always fade the baystars and you will be on your way i have been capping japan and mexico leagues very well

Gndias
    Gndias's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2596

hiroshima carp cash it

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Gndias View Post
    always fade the baystars and you will be on your way i have been capping japan and mexico leagues very well
    what sites would you recommend for these leagues?

Jonno116
    Jonno116's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6169

They play with chopsticks.