looks like Bud Selig is serious.

By Hal Bodley, USA TODAY
Commissioner Bud Selig, in an open letter to baseball fans that appears Friday in five major publications, including USA TODAY, blasts players who use performance-enhancing substances and says he is committed to protecting the integrity of the sport.
"These players who use performing-enhancing substances offend all of us who care for the game and I will not tolerate their actions," Selig wrote. "I won't be deterred and will do everything I can to try to keep up with or even stay ahead of those who break the law and break our rules."

Selig said he was prompted to write the letter after former Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Jason Grimsley told an Internal Revenue Service investigator in a search warrant affidavit unsealed last week that he used steroids, human growth hormone (HGH) and amphetamines throughout his career.

The next day he was released by the Diamondbacks. He was also suspended for 50 games by Selig should he attempt to return to the major leagues.

In the letter, Selig said "we are committed to funding a study of HGH and how to detect it.... Also, we are willing to make additional contributions to fund other studies to determine how to detect HGH and are currently reaching out to experts in the field to ascertain what other studies can immediately begin."