slewfan
    slewfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10384

This is an issue in it's early stages.

My guess (and hope) is that there's a run on the Bank. If there isn't, the seed has been planted.
    Or maybe it's a 'Babylon Bee' type article.

JMO

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

welll t hat's in australia and still less safer these crooks to day can hack your account and wipe you out digtally i'm amazed how they do it

credit unions are way safer than reg banks 1 bank local scrwed me over with 7 day extended hold on my money and by law it states funds from even anothers account claer in 2 days max boy were they scohced when i took them to fedaeral court

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9255

I agree that the demise of cash is bad for privacy and freedom.

But Macquarie bank is more of a financial services and investment bank. They have never had branches or ATMs or have had a "cash" business. So the story is a bit of a beat up.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I agree that the demise of cash is bad for privacy and freedom.

But Macquarie bank is more of a financial services and investment bank. They have never had branches or ATMs or have had a "cash" business. So the story is a bit of a beat up.
    Most news, imo, is exaggerated to some extent or total bullshit; but there is no doubting that CBDC's are on their way whether we like it or not? Will they fail? Will people revolt from it? Seems like too much control!

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29860

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Most news, imo, is exaggerated to some extent or total bullshit; but there is no doubting that CBDC's are on their way whether we like it or not? Will they fail? Will people revolt from it? Seems like too much control!
    Buckle up.

They'll give us all social credit scores and limit the movement and travel of all the peasants. Travel outside of your set boundary and your own money can't be accessed without jumping through hoops and being "taxed." They'll work in expiration dates, daily/weekly/monthly spending and purchasing limits and who knows what else. China paved the way and has fully implemented the scheme. Governments everywhere are frothing at the mouth for this level of control.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9255

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post

I'm pessimistic about how currency changes are going to turn out too.

Mainly because I think most people don't think about, or maybe dont care about, how important the change is going to be for our futures.

Most people already find cash un-useful too. So even more likely to just accept whatever electronic changes are offered.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

What are junk fees?

Junk fees are hidden and unexpected charges that are often not included in the initial or listed price of a transaction but are added on at the time of the payment.

The Biden White House claims this practice typically falls into four categories:

• "Mandatory fees" that obscure the full price charged by a seller, such as the service fees added to a concert ticket
    • "Surprise fees" that consumers do not expect, such as the family seating fees charged by airlines
    • "Predatory fees" that target consumers who are economically vulnerable or locked into a service, such as excessive bank overdraft fees
    • "Fraudulent fees" that represent an outright misrepresentation by a seller, such as "no fee" bank accounts that make hidden charges in practice

At least 85% of Americans have encountered such fees, according to a 2019 survey by Consumer Reports, and they can drive up costs far beyond what a consumer had expected to pay.

The White House has said these fee schemes disproportionately affect low-income households and people of colour, and harm small and medium-sized businesses.