philipmocali
    philipmocali's Avatar Become A Pro!

Texas Hold-Em for Newbies

Hey guys,

My name is Philip and this is my first post so I decided to make it an informative one to try and help out a few of the beginners out there.

I have this buddy and he currently writes for Ezine and he loves Poker, almost more than me so I asked him if he minded if I shared his articles.

So here is an article that my buddy wrote on Texas Hold-Em:

Texas Hold-Em - How to Play This Fun Style of Poker

Long before the variation of poker known as Texas Hold-Em stole the limelight, most people were playing Seven-Card Stud or its predecessor, Five-Card Draw. However in the past few years, Texas Hold-Em has been the most popular variant of poker, being played online and in tournaments by rookies and seasoned pros alike.

While there are countless different versions of poker that have been created, some being common and some being a little more specific, the objective has always been the same; win. Typically, whenever poker is played, it is played with chips. These chips can represent monetary values and then cashed in whenever ready or they can just be chips and played for fun with your buddies.

If you take Seven-Card Stud and Five-Card Draw and put their main principles together, then you will have what is known as a Flop; a game that is played using the aspects from both stud poker and draw poker. There are many different variations of poker that would fall into the Flop category and Texas Hold-Em is probably the most popular of them, most likely due to the challenge it presents that poker players just love.

Texas Hold-Em is can be played with as small as four to six people, but you will usually find that there are usually nine to ten people playing at a full table. There will always be a dealer who is responsible for dealing the cards; sometimes the dealer changes with each new round or sometimes the dealer remains constant. The two people seated directly to the left of the dealer will get the match started by making a bet known as a "blind." The person sitting right next to the dealer will make a small blind or small bet, while the person sitting farthest left of the dealer will make a larger blind or larger bet. The blind is basically what gets that round started; although some variations of poker use what is known as an "ante."

Now that the blinds have been made, the dealer will now deal each player two cards face down; these cards are known as either hole cards or more commonly as pocket cards. Once the pocket cards have been dealt, then the person sitting on the left of the player who made the larger blind can now do one of two things; he or she can either bet or check. A check is basically just passing the bet to somebody else. There are three initial actions that a player can take once a bet has been made; call, raise and fold. When a player call, that just means he or she is going evenly match your bet. A raise means that the player will see your bet and then raise it even more. Folding basically just means sitting out for that round; folds can happen for a variety of different reasons.

Once the first round of bets have been made, the dealer will then place three cards down on the table face up; these three cards are known as the Flop. A lot of people in the poker community will refer to these cards as community cards. Community cards get their name because they are able to be used by all players (hence the word community) in making a decent hand. Another round of betting will occur after the community cards have been laid down.

After the second round of betting is complete, the dealer will then lay down another card next to the community cards face up; the fourth card laid down is referred to as the Turn. Once the Turn has been made, another round of betting will follow. By this point, the pot may or may not be pretty large depending on whether or not particular players feel as though they have a good hand.

Finally, there is one more card that the dealer will lay down, right next to the Turn card; the fifth and final card is commonly referred to as the River. As you can probably guess, once the River is laid down there is one last round of betting. If you feel as though you have a good hand then this is your chance to put a little more into the pot.

Just to recap, when all the cards have initially been dealt out, there should be two cards dealt face down to every player and five cards laid face up on the table. The goal of each player is to take his or her two pocket cards and use them in conjunction with the five face up cards to make the best possible five card hand. Hopefully you will end up having an exceptional hand that will ultimately win the pot.

For the latest in POKER Tips, tricks, strategies and more,
    check out http://www.betromania.com/poker

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Andrew_Brusnahan

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Even more spam.

cappinthepigs
    cappinthepigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

At least it's in the right forum!!

UsUschi