Login Search

WANTED: new weekly tournament

Last Post

Default WANTED: new weekly tournament

I'm not asking for freeroll or more poker points from SBR.

But can we please get a weekly tournament in addition to beat the prick?

Here are some possibilities, and I can commit to playing at least 3 weekends per month if a new tournament is added to the schedule.
a) freezout, buy-in of 200 to 500 points
- low vig (10 or 15 pts) is essential
- possibly a guaranteed prize pool for the first 3-4 weeks to establish participation?

b) rebuy, buy-in of 50 to 200 points
- if it's a real rebuy, please make sure rebuying actually works and players are not kicked out because of a bug

c) winner-take-all tournament, buy in of ??
- pay winner only, or pay 10% or less of the field, the way it works in real life tournaments

d) bounty tournament
- buy-in would be something like 100+100+10 where 10 is vig, 100 goes to regular payouts and 100 is collected by whoever eliminates each player from the tournament
- this could be made very popular if SBR employees (Ivy? Sam?) started to make appearances and I would personally love to finally beat the prick and shut his piehole lol

Some ideas to make sure people actually participate:
- let players use poker points to buy in, without the need to roll over first
- charge vig on every tournament but make it low at least in the beginning
- make automatic announcements like they do on pokerstars something like 'a Freezout Tournament with 200+15 bet points buy-in begins in 60 minutes, then 20 minutes, then 5 minutes. This should be broadcasted to each active cash table and tournament table. If this new tournament is scheduled 1-2 hours after beat the prick on saturday I'm sure many more people would know it exists and come play it as well.

If this is possible at all I'd like to ask someone at SBR to attach a poll to this topic. I want to have more chances to practice for the Grand Finale and dailies are just not enough.

A lot of fun suggestions grivas, but there's a big problem: the current player base is mostly people who won't play anything but freerolls or near-freerolls. The number of players who would be willing to shell out larger amounts of points can probably be estimated from participation in the previous high roller tourneys; based on that, you're talking 20-30 people tops, and probably fewer if you're talking more than once a week, far fewer if the overlay isn't as large.

Maintaining a player base not only willing but able to play non-freerolls will be challenging; unlike real poker, most of the members here can't buy the currency needed to play. US players only get 12-13 a day, and that's going to keep most from making entering these tourneys routinely, minus a large overlay (although even with large overlays, previous tournaments weren't terribly popular).

Using poker points to buy into the tourneys would probably kill the mostly-dead cash games....probably not a good idea.

If you're looking to practice for the contest-ending tournament, you wont be able to do it here. The format is significantly different, and none of the tournaments you proposed will be much use. You'd be better off going to a real poker site and playing a 100-entry tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_D_Bet View Post

Using poker points to buy into the tourneys would probably kill the mostly-dead cash games....probably not a good idea.
Are you sure SBR has a goal of keeping cash games active?

If yes why is flipping condoned. If no why not allow poker tournament buy-in with the unrolled points. This is no easy way to roll over as you actually have to be quite good to get to a payout. If payouts are 10% or fewer that is.

It's a nice option to have?

Quote Originally Posted by Grivas_Digeni View Post
Are you sure SBR has a goal of keeping cash games active?

If yes why is flipping condoned. If no why not allow poker tournament buy-in with the unrolled points. This is no easy way to roll over as you actually have to be quite good to get to a payout. If payouts are 10% or fewer that is.

It's a nice option to have?
I'm not really sure what SBR's goals are, but assuming they want to encourage general poker participation, cash games are important because they add variety and flexibility. Flipping is tolerated because it's not widespread and/or apathy maybe?

Rollover requirements could be format-neutral if the requirement was based on the amount needed to rake back the amount to be rolled over, like with most poker bonuses. The much-lower 3x requirement is probably in place specifically to motivate people to take them to cash games; otherwise, why require them to be rolled over at all?

Eventually people would have to go to cash games to rollover anyways; buying into tourneys with rollover points would simply generate winnings that needed to be rolled over, and you'd never be able to do so without heading to the cash games. If SBR wished to incentivize these extra tournaments, they could award regular points for prizes and allow buyin with rollover...it would probably be popular way of rolling them over, but to the detriment of the cash games.

It's always preferred to have options, but you have to consider that we have a limited player base; more options with the same number of players just means less participation in each option, or (more likely) players gravitating to the options that are a better deal and ignoring the ones that aren't. We saw this with the previous weekend tournaments; despite them having a large overlay, the slightly higher buyin kept out the majority of people who played daily. The weekend timing might have been a factor too, but it seems unlikely when the BTP freerolls can drum up close to 100 people. Try making tournaments pay out like an actual poker tournament (top 10%), and vast majority will stay away completely.

More options are good, but doesn't do much good if your player base is highly unlikely to respond to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_D_Bet View Post
If SBR wished to incentivize these extra tournaments, they could award regular points for prizes and allow buyin with rollover...it would probably be popular way of rolling them over, but to the detriment of the cash games.
I'd love this. Never was much of a cash game player and would rather only do tournaments if given this option

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywaves View Post
Flipping is condoned, as SBR is still getting their rake. Why should flipping be banned?
See what I mean grivas?

Quote Originally Posted by Grivas_Digeni View Post
I'd love this. Never was much of a cash game player and would rather only do tournaments if given this option
Understandably, most have a preference....but many prefer cash games too, and it's safe to say any community looking to grow should offer both. Whether growth is possible when buyin is limited (unable to buy points) is another matter.

Is hours grinding rolls in cash games longer than minutes flipping? Successful people value their time, as time is money.
Flipping is cowardly and shouldn't be tolerated. If you actually played poker your potential for points is greater anyways so who's not properly valuing time? For every RO I lose I roll the next at least 2x the face value, but then again, I'm capable of playing some poker so ymmv. I guess if someone's not capable flipping is the only choice?

Good ideas Grivas, but I probably wouldn't play much if it happened. Weekends I'm watching my football investments & flipping rolls on Omaha H/L.
Grivas, Bobbo's a good example of the type of casual player I'm talking about; he'll make time for freerolls, but not for anything more than a trivial buyin. Nothing wrong with that really; players who are unlikely to cash in competitive formats are wise to stay away from them, but without them there's not many players left.

Is hours grinding rolls in cash games longer than minutes flipping? Successful people value their time, as time is money.
You being wrong aside, that's not what he's saying...it's one of those poker concepts you're not familiar with. And when you're unemployed, isn't your time not worth any money by definition?