sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by bozeman View Post
    i don't know if a lot of you guys would laugh a lot, but i was a chess-player. Ranked 2nd in Montana Grand Prix for Championship in 2003-2004. 2122 was my highest rating back then, which qualifies as a Candidate for Master of Sport(according to this rating system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...em_of_the_USSR).
    In the States in Montana I was the second best player of the State, cause only the champion Novak could beat me more than once. But in Ukraine, I was only 7th on youth tournaments - sincerely i didn't have to overcome that - i grew up and chess just weren't a moneymaker for me, though i love my Dad even more for his coaching - cause that develops thinking a GREAT DEAL. Teach your kids chess.
    Impressive but are small chess players at a disadvantage to bigger chess players?

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Cobra Kai
    Cobra Kai's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Shari, thanks for the points.

One thing you should watch out for is to not allow your son to play American Football as it is a sport out of control. Almost all the people I grew up with who played have messed up knees, concussions, etc to the point where they must modify their lives when they get older. The coaches have always trained these kids to injure each other. Soccer headers can be a real issue, too.

Thankfully I have none of these issues, but I basically played non-impact sports.
    Haha, worried about heading a soccer ball. Thats gold!

bozeman
    bozeman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Impressive but are small chess players at a disadvantage to bigger chess players?
    Well truly you see the board better if you are taller, but that gives you a zero advantage, convenience only. I thought he meant small like small-time sportsmen.

orlikowski
    orlikowski's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I excelled in two sports back in high school and I didn't grow past 5'5" till graduation. Won conference in wrestling and was all conference in soccer. Soccer is a sport smaller people can excel and like landon donovan, theo walcott, aaron lennon. Should have played in college. Had a few scholarship offers mostly d2 but also d1. Decided to focus on school

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

Yeah St Louis is a super talent. Not many his size will ever make it to the pros.

First pic is with Chara, he's a fukkin' giant!

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by thekid667 View Post
    I was able to excell at soccer despite being five four . I'm 32, love the game ,and still play for an adult league here in Tallahassee, Fl..If your looking for athletics for your child to play i would suggest soccer or wrestling.
    Agree with thekid on soccer. IMO kids when they are little don't have any idea what sports they like for the most part. If they like soccer at 3 its because they like to kick it far or basketball, because they want to "throw it in". Anyone who played sports young will probably say what they liked about it as kiddies was gone or different by the time they actually were competing. I think a kid will like any sport they are good at or can play with some confidence so parents should pick whatever they think is best for them that can keep their attention. If you are 4'10 soccer might be a better fit than say football... and if they like football enough to switch, they'll have fun.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

maybe stop participating in midget gangbangs.

jpot34
    jpot34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 373

Shari, I played Division III hardball. Can I get a kiss from you for that?
    Points Awarded:

shari91 gave jpot34 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

JJ gold always fukking up shari's threads....

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by bozeman View Post
    i don't know if a lot of you guys would laugh a lot, but i was a chess-player. Ranked 2nd in Montana Grand Prix for Championship in 2003-2004. 2122 was my highest rating back then, which qualifies as a Candidate for Master of Sport(according to this rating system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...em_of_the_USSR).
    In the States in Montana I was the second best player of the State, cause only the champion Novak could beat me more than once. But in Ukraine, I was only 7th on youth tournaments - sincerely i didn't have to overcome that - i grew up and chess just weren't a moneymaker for me, though i love my Dad even more for his coaching - cause that develops thinking a GREAT DEAL. Teach your kids chess.
    Boze, I peaked at ~2100 USCF, ~2000 ELO European; had several tournament performance ratings in the 2200-2300 USCF range though. Haven't played OTB in over 15 years so I'm probably a solid 1500 player now

I spent a bit of time reading Shakhmaty with the help of a Russian-English Chess dictionary.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Asian American Here this was before i started working out and putting a lot of muscle on back in high school though

5'7 through high school ran track at varsity level all the way through

If there was one thing I always loved it was beating Black Kids got great enjoyment out of it
    400m dash was my specialty-- ALWAYS first ones off the Blocks was the only way I could ever win a race- extremely short sprint steps on toes entire way through

800m dash- I had extremely long long strides with a huge hop in my step
    along with being on the 4X4 relay team

Ran Cross Country from 6th grade to 8th grade wasnt amazing at it but not bad at it just an above average runner

Soccer entire life and Varsity soccer all through high school

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Just finished watching Rudy for the 10th time and was crying my eyes out from the first 5 minutes. Finally clicked in that I was crying so much because he was a runty underdog - and most likely my son will be the same if he decides to play a sport(s).

I know there are a lot of guys here who were/are great athletes to whatever level in their sport. Were any of you considered small for your sport? If so, I'd love to hear about it - what you accomplished and how you overcame the 'runt' factor. I think that's more amazing than a genetic freak succeeding at a sport they were basically built for.

Thanks.
    I truly don't intend on ruining the movie for you... or the spirit of "Rudy"... but my best friend all through grade school and high school's uncle played for Notre Dame at that time. If you watch the movie one of the times when he pans his hand down the dress list you'll see a S. Niehaus... that is my friends uncle. Went on to play for the Seattle Seahawks. Talked to him quite a bit as I hung around him a lot (hey, I was a kid raised through 12 years of Catholic school, this was a big dude, played at Notre Dame, played NFL this guy was a "god" to me at the time). Enough background information... long story short, Rudy was an arrogant asshole in real life. Nobody liked the kid because he was just an egotistical roosterlicker. He had a short mans complex and it wasn't something that in truth any perseverance inspired you...

The movie rendition, entirely different story. In truth, dude was a rooster bag.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

I don't know Rudy, or this movie, but I'm always struck by how someone's "ratbag" is another's socially backward, struggling, ambitious or inept person.

I'm also struck by how many folks hang out at SBR who like to reveal some "truth" which seems to be solely aimed at destroying another's view of the world.

First 12