Lazy-Man
    Lazy-Man's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1137

car accident situation part 2

please read my other thread for the story but she emailed me 1 quote sand it was $400 which I dont believe at all since it was only a couple very small scratches. I told her I need another quote and she said okay but regardless she wants at least $200 this monday or shes bringing it to her lawyer. Now I believe agree does have my license plate but I don't live there anymore. So what do I do

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

You don't have to give her anything until she gives you the other quote you want. She's just threatening you.

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

Why don't you let your insurance handle it (pardon my ignorance for not re-reading original thread)

I just went to court yesterday for an accident, got my reckless driving reduced to improper driving

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

I would just give her $300 and call it a day. Make sure she signs something...

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Pay your debt...it's not worth the headache of scamming someone out of $400 when you're at fault

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

If you've reponded back to her via email with anything other than, " I'm sorry but I don't know who you are or what this about." it doesn't make any difference whether she has your license plate. You've admitted to being the guilty party by your emails.

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy-Man View Post
    please read my other thread for the story but she emailed me 1 quote sand it was $400 which I dont believe at all since it was only a couple very small scratches. I told her I need another quote and she said okay but regardless she wants at least $200 this monday or shes bringing it to her lawyer. Now I believe agree does have my license plate but I don't live there anymore. So what do I do
    She's just threatening you. I'd bet good money that she just wants to get some money out of this whole deal, and will not be spending it on a car repair. Ask her for another quote, and just say you'd feel more comfortable sending her the money when you have that information.

As far as the threat to take it to her attorney, she's bullshitting you, this is what's called a "Judge Wapner" case. It would be cost prohibitive for her and the attorney...let's say he bills clients at $100/hour (which is conservative) and it takes him 3 hours between now and Monday to "handle" this for her. Then if he got her $200 from you, he'd send her a bill for $300, so she'd be out $100 on the whole deal.

Say this to her:

"I'd really feel more comfortable sending you the money after you get a second quote. At that point, we can discuss the amount based on the two quotes and I can either a) send it directly to the body shop, or b) send it to you if you will sign a document waiving any future liability on my part. Since it is just cosmetic damage, I trust that this is not causing you too much of an inconvenience. As to taking it to your attorney, I don't feel that is necessary, but if you insist on it, he is welcome to call me at any time to dicuss further. Thank you, and I look forward to continuing the discussion when you get the second quote."

Just kill her with kindness. And although others have driven the point home, you absolutely should not try to 'stiff' her here. That's where you're going to get yourself in trouble.