UCONN opens as a 5.5 favorite over PURDUE

This is the matchup everyone wanted.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar BARRELED IN @ SBR!

That isn't enough points for Purdue

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar SBR Posting Legend

It's probably not going to get any lower than that. Public is gonna ride the Huskies I presume.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR MVP

UConn is playing at a different level. It’s like Secretariat at the 1973 Belmont. Blowing away the entire field.

RM Logic
    RM Logic's Avatar SBR Wise Guy

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    Agree.
    Purdue is prone to scoring droughts. They couldnt shoot at all vs a NCState with a bad defense.
    UConn can win this game by double digits.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by RM Logic View Post
    Agree.
    Purdue is prone to scoring droughts. They couldnt shoot at all vs a NCState with a bad defense.
    UConn can win this game by double digits.
    Purdue lived off Edey's size advantage against these small teams in this tournament. Now all that is gone. No more wide open 3s off Edey doubles. Purdue is going to have a hard time scoring for 40 minutes on UConn. Good for Purdue for getting this far but this team is a poor mans version of UConn and it will show. With a starting line like that it can't go high enough to make a difference. I don't think this game will be that close at all. Honestly Bama had a better chance to beat UConn with their athletic guards. Gooser said it best UConn is on another level and Edey isn't going to be enough to stop them from cutting the nets down again IMO.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jrgum3

coop-dog
    coop-dog's Avatar SBR Wise Guy

now ucon wont have advantage around the rim

TheGoldenGoose

O/U 148.5

Uconn ML -245

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR Aristocracy

How many should it be

coop-dog
    coop-dog's Avatar SBR Wise Guy

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    How many should it be
    line should be ucon -2.5

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by coop-dog View Post
    line should be ucon -2.5
    Who's gonna bet Purdue at that price?

Easy-Rider 66
    10th Avenue Freeze-Out
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar BARRELED IN @ SBR!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Who's gonna bet Purdue at that price?
    Johnny v. Might if he sees an edge there? LOL.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR Posting Legend

UConn -6.5. -7 seems to be the correct hat size.

Huskies are a pro-college steam-rolling machine.
    No slight to Zack Edey.

unde0087
    Did we win?

How many should it be
    I was thinking more along the lines of 8 or 9

Eddy Munny

Already up to -6.5 and will probably close -7

Purdue is too methodical in their half court game, I don't see how they make it contest forcing it to Edey, who moves like he's up to his knees in oatmeal.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator

Yep.

UConn was -12 v. Alabama, I heard a lot of naysayers tell me "Dude, that's a boatload of points to give a team like Alabama, easy cover there"

I had just one singular response to those people "The line is twelve for a reason".

That's it, one sentence same response, and I'd just walk away from that topic of discussion.

I'm taking off my blue and white UConn homer cap and hoodie for a moment and try to make this statement as levelheaded and objective as humanly possible, here goes.

What a lot of casual sports fans either don't realize or do realize but just won't admit is this.
    This Husky team, from Coach Hurley all the way down to the last player at the end of the bench is an NCAA generation great team.
    A once in every twenty-year generation great team, yeah, that's how great this team is.

11-0 in their last eleven national championship tournament games, each and every game pretty much a curb stomping double digit boat race.
    Considering the tournament format is one and done, that's doubly impressive.

Tell me where I'm wrong?
    (So great, even our beloved JV faded the Huskies in each and every of those aforementioned eleven games, that's equally impressive as UConn's quest for back-to-back titles)

Monday night's championship game is what I call a legacy game.
    Sports fans and all the media folks that get paid to cover sports for a living still talk about Billy Donovan's Florida Gator team(s) that went back-to-back some twenty years ago.

A win Monday night cements UConn's legacy as the greatest team of this generation.
    Even if I were an ACC yahoo and hated on all things that is Big East athletics that's what it would like to me, and it would pain me to say it, that UConn (with a win Monday night) is the greatest college sports team of this generation.

Repeat championships are rare in this tournament format, that being a one and done, single elimination format starting with a field of sixty-four plus teams. Coach K's great Duke teams couldn't do it, and every team since Donovan's Gator teams some twenty years ago (seventeen to be exact) all the previous sixteen champions could not defend their titles.

The team that did defend before Florida and went back-to-back and belly to belly (to quote the broadcasting great John Sterling) was Coach K's 1991-1992 and his Duke teams.

Only Twice in thirty-two years, that's two generations.
    Like I mentioned earlier in this long-winded post, this Husky team is a generational great team, even if (God forbid) UConn loses at the buzzer Monday night.

Tell me where I'm wrong?

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Yep.

UConn was -12 v. Alabama, I heard a lot of naysayers tell me "Dude, that's a boatload of points to give a team like Alabama, easy cover there"

I had just one singular response to those people "The line is twelve for a reason".

That's it, one sentence same response, and I'd just walk away from that topic of discussion.

I'm taking off my blue and white UConn homer cap and hoodie for a moment and try to make this statement as levelheaded and objective as humanly possible, here goes.

What a lot of casual sports fans either don't realize or do realize but just won't admit is this.
    This Husky team, from Coach Hurley all the way down to the last player at the end of the bench is an NCAA generation great team.
    A once in every twenty-year generation great team, yeah, that's how great this team is.

11-0 in their last eleven national championship tournament games, each and every game pretty much a curb stomping double digit boat race.
    Considering the tournament format is one and done, that's doubly impressive.

Tell me where I'm wrong?
    (So great, even our beloved JV faded the Huskies in each and every of those aforementioned eleven games, that's equally impressive as UConn's quest for back-to-back titles)

Monday night's championship game is what I call a legacy game.
    Sports fans and all the media folks that get paid to cover sports for a living still talk about Billy Donovan's Florida Gator team(s) that went back-to-back some twenty years ago.

A win Monday night cements UConn's legacy as the greatest team of this generation.
    Even if I were an ACC yahoo and hated on all things that is Big East athletics that's what it would like to me, and it would pain me to say it, that UConn (with a win Monday night) is the greatest college sports team of this generation.

Repeat championships are rare in this tournament format, that being a one and done, single elimination format starting with a field of sixty-four plus teams. Coach K's great Duke teams couldn't do it, and every team since Donovan's Gator teams some twenty years ago (seventeen to be exact) all the previous sixteen champions could not defend their titles.

The team that did defend before Florida and went back-to-back and belly to belly (to quote the broadcasting great John Sterling) was Coach K's 1991-1992 and his Duke teams.

Only Twice in thirty-two years, that's two generations.
    Like I mentioned earlier in this long-winded post, this Husky team is a generational great team, even if (God forbid) UConn loses at the buzzer Monday night.

Tell me where I'm wrong?
    I think they benefit greatly from a watered down field. Are they a great team? Of course. Generational? I dunno. Their path to the title hasn't exactly been a murderer's row compared to champions of the past. The fact that Purdue stands as their #1 challenger says it all. I'm not sure Purdue is even an Elite 8 team most years, especially the golden era before NCAAB became a glorified farm league.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Look at those Purdue guards stats now when they didn't get 25 wide open shots

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar BARRELED IN @ SBR!

They definitely had a game plan

ley eddy eat but no open 3s

stevenash

Eddy is getting very testy, screw him, he's been getting away with his push off bull shit all tournament.
    Pay back is a bitch, bitch!

stevenash

Two minutes to Paradise fellaa.
    Two minutes to history!

unde0087
    Did we win?

Eddy is getting very testy, screw him, he's been getting away with his push off bull shit all tournament.
    Pay back is a bitch, bitch!
    Ya, Edey got the Tom Brady treatment all tournament.

stevenash

Ya, Edey got the Tom Brady treatment all tournament.
    I had a feeling all day that Clingan would bang Eddy all game and that Eddy would get all flustered.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

I LOVE THIS TEAM

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar SBR Hall of Famer

Edey was the MVP of the game; he took Clingan to the cleaners but couldn't beat UConn by himself.
    Last edited by DrunkHorseplayer; 04-08-24 at 10:49 PM.

TheGoldenGoose

Is this the first time in history a team has won AND covered every game played in the Tournament?

IDK but I think it is.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar BARRELED IN @ SBR!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Edey was the MVP of the game; he took Clingan to the cleaners buit couldn't beat UConn by himself.
    Kinda but it was part of the plan

they never double team him to leave open shooteers

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Is this the first time in history a team has won AND covered every game played in the Tournament?

IDK but I think it is.
    I think so, not sure if UNLV covered them all.
    UConn is the first team to ever run the table in every game by 13+

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR Posting Legend

I think so, not sure if UNLV covered them all.
    UConn is the first team to ever run the table in every game by 13+
    ---

The Huskies won their six tournament games by 140 points —
    or
    23.33 per game

unde0087
    Did we win?

IDK but I think it is.
    No, UNC did it when they won it in 2009. Routed everyone. I made a bitch slap play series every game that year.

stevenash

No, UNC did it when they won it in 2009. Routed everyone. I made a bitch slap play series every game that year.
    Roy Williams was a Hall of Fame coach.
    He was all class and the only coach in the ACC I totally respected.
    Man, those North Carolina teams were loaded.

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR Posting Legend

“Bitch slap play”… I gotta use that one
    🤣🤣👍

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR Aristocracy

Roy Williams was a Hall of Fame coach.
    He was all class and the only coach in the ACC I totally respected.
    Man, those North Carolina teams were loaded.
    First sentence was the result of the last sentence.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar SBR Hall of Famer

IDK but I think it is.
    UConn might have done the same thing last year.

unde0087
    Did we win?

First sentence was the result of the last sentence.
    How many championships does Calipari have?

stevenash

12 Last