TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Michigan State Head Coach Tom Izzo Disagrees On The NCAA Transfer Protocol

Tom Izzo said he has "no faith" in the NCAA's plan to limit the immediate eligibility exceptions for two-time transfers because players will continue to use issues such as mental health to earn waivers.

Earlier this year, the NCAA sent a memo to schools that stated players who transfer a second time won't be granted a waiver and will have to sit for a season if they transfer for reasons such as a coaching change or a reduction of playing time. But concerns about "physical and mental health" or "physical or sexual assault" will allow a player to qualify for immediate eligibility.

I don't have a lot of faith in the NCAA," Izzo said. "This waiver thing. If you've got a hangnail, you get a waiver. I just don't believe in that, because I think somebody, whether it's a lawyer, whether it's agents, whether it's people, they're going to just come up with a different reason. Mental health is a big reason. I just don't see why sitting out is such a bad thing because 90 percent of the kids that are sitting out aren't pros anyway or they'd go pro."

He said the waiver system that grants players immediate eligibility hurts them in the long run because they don't learn to become resilient.

"I'm not for it. I'm not for anything," Izzo said. "I just think we're hurting decisions that kids make. I mean we've got 1,200. By Tuesday, we'll have 1,500, and then we're going to get a second wave of kids in the portal. And kids are going to go places that maybe it's a little bit for the money, maybe it's because they're worried about beating somebody else out. We all had to beat people out ... and I think we're losing that. Where's the competitive edge?"

He was also asked if he was in favor of March Madness heading towards a 90 team field someday...

"I don't know if I [would go] to 90 or not," Izzo said. "I'm all for getting more teams in ... but there's something about this tournament that I hope we don't lose. That's the excitement of it, and it doesn't get watered down."

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Hey, shot:

1) I don't really care about the Transfer portal. These players move without any regard. Each guy is now effectively his own Small Business.

2) As for the tournament, sort of like Izzo's last comment. Think about how good the NCAA tournament is. The minor tournaments (including the NIT) are pretty lame.
    ...Why not go to 96 teams? Maybe you alter the first set of games.
    ...Seeds 33 to 96 have to go thru the play-in game. Do it on Home courts MON/TUES/WED.
    ...Top 32 seeds get a bye. 64-team tournament still starts on Thur/Fri.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19273

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Hey, shot:

1) I don't really care about the Transfer portal. These players move without any regard. Each guy is now effectively his own Small Business.

2) As for the tournament, sort of like Izzo's last comment. Think about how good the NCAA tournament is. The minor tournaments (including the NIT) are pretty lame.
    ...Seeds 33 to 96 have to go thru the play-in game. Do it on Home courts MON/TUES/WED.
    That's a good idea. I like those play in games on Tuesday and Wednesday. Those teams have a fair chance to win a game. Maybe, start out by adding 4 more games or 8 more teams on Tuesday and Wednesday?

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Hey, shot:

It's like business now with a bunch of fans but not called a business so long as people are conected to their alma maters emotionally it will sell but fans feel more distant the more transfers keep coming and going

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 235

Izzo still thinks it’s year 2000

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    That's a good idea. I like those play in games on Tuesday and Wednesday. Those teams have a fair chance to win a game. Maybe, start out by adding 4 more games or 8 more teams on Tuesday and Wednesday?
    I like it. 80 teams would mean 16 play-in games.

Most people like this tournament. Chance to quench people's thirst.

Thur/Fri of the 1st round is the only time of year I feel compelled to take off work to watch games.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Hey, shot:

Hey Chucky In regards to players transferring... call me old school I guess? You originally chose a school for a reason... that school... is paying for your education... they wanted you... you wanted them. Have some dignity and don't walk out on your school. I think it's too easy for players to make excuses and leave. I hope the NCAA changes their mind.

As for adding more teams to March Madness.. could it be watered down? Probably. If it ain't broke... why change it?