JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

Hexversi Puzzle #8. Multiple Choice. 1st correct guess Wins 50 Points.

1 guess per person. If you guess a 2nd time, your 2nd guess will be ignored. First correct guess Wins 50 Points.

Instead of putting a cap on how many times you can Win, the way I am going to do it is, however many times you have Won already, you have to wait for that many number of guesses before you can make your guess. For instance, if you have Won twice already, for this particular puzzle, you have to wait for at least 2 people to guess, before you can make your guess or else you will be DQ'd. I'll list the puzzle Winners and how many times they've Won at the bottom of this post.

Hexversi has the exact same rules as Othello except the board is shaped like a hexagon and there is a dead spot in the middle of the board as seen in the image below. You cannot play through the dead spot, you must play around it. If you do not know how to play Othello, I recommend that you watch the minute and a half video below, and you will know ALL of the rules.

What's the best move for Green?(feel free to take a guess)

I've added a 100 Point bonus for the first 10 players that post a screenshot of themselves beating this AI in the link below. Take the screenshot before your last move of the game so the AI doesn't block the image. Three people have beat the AI so far. They are: Housemoney, jackpot269, and Ian. Well done gentlemen!

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

I'll keep this going until 10 people beat it. You can only win this ONCE. AND, you can't use someone else's screenshot. In other words.... it has to be a unique configuration. This is NOT a strong AI. It's VERY aggressive. Aggressive play is EASY to beat once you know how to deal with it.

Here's some hints to how games are Won. Games are NOT won by gobbling up as many pieces as you can on every single move. This is a TERRIBLE strategy. Games are won by trying to run your opponent out of options/moves entirely, and forcing them to give you a corner. Whomever has more options/moves, is ALMOST ALWAYS winning the game, regardless of what the score says.

When it comes to piece count, you'll usually want to think "less is MORE", until you can get a corner. Try to keep your pieces INSIDE of your opponents pieces. This will create MORE options/moves for you.

Once you run your opponent out of options(good ones at least), then you get to dictate the direction of the game, and getting your piece count up high and winning the game after that is easy. Good luck!

Here are the past Puzzle Winners so far:

blankoblanco 3
    Ian 2
    gauchojake 1
    Optional 1

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

killer crossover of course

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33401

Thanks for posting, Galt.

This is a way better position for green than it first looked to me. Let's get those guesses rolling in!

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29790

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Thanks for posting, Galt.

This is a way better position for green than it first looked to me. Let's get those guesses rolling in!
    Yep. We out here waiting for guesses bro But you have the high ground, I have to wait an extra guess!

Fun puzzle though. I think a new or newish player will get it

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8057

.....g2

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

F2.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Optional 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Machba
    2X POTM JAN 2022 SEPT 2022
    Machba's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3004

J6.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33401

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Fun puzzle though. I think a new or newish player will get it
    And I think his name is Optional. F2 was my guess.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Ian 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    F2.
    We have a Winner!

This leaves Purple with exactly 3 options as seen in the Purple notation below. No matter which option Purple chooses, Green is going to get either the NE corner, the SE corner, or the SW corner. From there, Green is going to be able to get the remaining corners as well.

Here's the 2nd screenshot after Purple played b6, Green played a6, and Purple played g1. It may look like Purple is going to Win this game quite easily. This is merely an illusion. Remember, our objective is to run our opponent out of moves/options(good ones at least) before they do the same to us. Green is doing just fine here. Purple has exactly 2 options here, one at g2, and one at j6. It is Green's turn to move and Green is going to move to g2. This will force Purple to use their last remaining move at j6. This will give Green the 6 remaining moves of the game. Final score Green 58 Purple 32.

Here's a 3rd screenshot after Green played g2 and Purple played their only move at j6. And now Green is going to get the last 6 moves of the game. If Green does it in the correct order(they did), Green will be able to maximize their piece count. I wrote in how many pieces Green will get per move. Green gets 37 total pieces on these last 6 moves.

And here's what the final board looked like.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    If Green does it in the correct order(they did), Green will be able to maximize their piece count. I wrote in how many pieces Green will get per move. Green gets 37 total pieces on these last 6 moves.

Correct order should be a question next time!
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Optional 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blankoblanco

Optional seems to be a natural, nice job!

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Optional seems to be a natural, nice job!
    Multiple choice one move maybe. Not so sure about an entire game. Would take a lot of practice for me I think.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8057

Multiple choice one move maybe. Not so sure about an entire game. Would take a lot of practice for me I think.
    You will get hooked if you start playing, I did, First thing I do now pull up itsyourturn.com and see if its my play on a game yet!

blankoblanco

True, playing the entire game is a different beast for sure. It's a bit like comparing chess puzzles to chess. But the nice thing about Hexversi is it's way newer, strategy is far less established than chess, and nobody can just run programs to figure out the best moves. So we're all kinda figuring it out. Maybe look for JohnGalt's next Hexversi tournament thread if you want to give it a try for fun! Although that won't be for a while. Oh and also, you get over 24 hours per move, so it's no rush at all really, you can make each move at your leisure
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave blankoblanco 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.