209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

CFP board of managers agree to expand playoff to 12 teams

6 highest ranked conference champions
    6 at-large

ESPN's Pete Thamel was the first to break the news, claiming the Board of Managers had agreed that the College Football Playoff needed additional teams in the mix for a national championship each season.
    Sources: The CFP Board of Managers has decided on a 12-team College Football Playoff during today's meeting.
    — Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) September 2, 2022
    The Board wants to move on expansion as quickly as possible and have their eyes set on 2024 as the earliest season that 12 teams could compete in the College Football Playoff. However, ESPN's Adam Rittenberg said sources with knowledge pertaining to the managers' meeting told him that the 2025 season would be a more likely option.
    Several sources told me Thursday that 2024 would be very difficult to pull off for expanded CFP. Could see 2025 as a likelier option. If its 2026, everything just starts over with a new format. As one source just said, We will try and make it happen soon.
    — Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) September 2, 2022
    "We will try to and make it happen soon," the sources told Rittenberg.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

the 6 conference is a joke, they need to divide the field in 4 quadrants and pick the 2 best team of each quadrant and 4 at large bases on strenght of schedule. no more cupcake scheduling

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Here's how i HOPE they do the 12-team playoff:

*5 Big Conf: champions get Automatic bid.
    *6th Automatic bid goes to Top small-conf team. Play the top two minor teams h2h in a playoff.
    *6 at-large bids.

I'm ok with top four getting a bye AND playing a home game like the NFL.

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20505

I'm fine with the format. Just glad they're expanding

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

agree. glad they are expanding. will make for some more juicy betting too.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave pologq 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

4 OK, 8 better, 12 too many. Hate the idea of 12 in CFB personally. No. 1 vs 4 is lame sometimes. 1 vs. 12, 2 vs 11 etc. could be a snooze. Parity isn't as common in FB. Occasional upset possible but this isn't BKB.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by topgame85 View Post
    4 OK, 8 better, 12 too many. Hate the idea of 12 in CFB personally. No. 1 vs 4 is lame sometimes. 1 vs. 12, 2 vs 11 etc. could be a snooze. Parity isn't as common in FB. Occasional upset possible but this isn't BKB.
    opening games will be #5 vs. #12 Gamer. the top 4 seeds get a bye into quarterfinals. I agree 12 may be too many teams. 8 would be ideal IMO.

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    opening games will be #5 vs. #12 Gamer. the top 4 seeds get a bye into quarterfinals. I agree 12 may be too many teams. 8 would be ideal IMO.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Makes a lot more sense. 8 is ideal IMO, but this could work. Top 2 or 3 seeds usually so far above the rest of the pack, but the first round could be exciting.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

This is not good. A lot of blowouts when 5 plays 12. Games will be unwatchable.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

Hate it. The one good thing that helps betting in college football is the importance of big teams not losing. 12 teams allows teams to just let a game or two go and still make the playoffs

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Hate it. The one good thing that helps betting in college football is the importance of big teams not losing. 12 teams allows teams to just let a game or two go and still make the playoffs
    The top seeds for conference champs part actually makes things more contentious. Everything will still be awesome in college football

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    6 highest ranked conference champions
    6 at-large

ESPN's Pete Thamel was the first to break the news, claiming the Board of Managers had agreed that the College Football Playoff needed additional teams in the mix for a national championship each season.
    Sources: The CFP Board of Managers has decided on a 12-team College Football Playoff during today's meeting.
    — Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) September 2, 2022
    The Board wants to move on expansion as quickly as possible and have their eyes set on 2024 as the earliest season that 12 teams could compete in the College Football Playoff. However, ESPN's Adam Rittenberg said sources with knowledge pertaining to the managers' meeting told him that the 2025 season would be a more likely option.
    Several sources told me Thursday that 2024 would be very difficult to pull off for expanded CFP. Could see 2025 as a likelier option. If its 2026, everything just starts over with a new format. As one source just said, We will try and make it happen soon.
    — Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) September 2, 2022
    "We will try to and make it happen soon," the sources told Rittenberg.
    Funny thing is Fresno State will never benefit from this at all

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    Funny thing is Fresno State will never benefit from this at all
    Come get your Texas ass whipped again

texhooper

Can’t tell you enough times, don’t care at all about Houston. This is why I fukk with you still

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    Can’t tell you enough times, don’t care at all about Houston. This is why I fukk with you still
    We rising to the top and you can't stand it. Dogs!!!

texhooper

Man you got mad at me for something and I keep fukking with you. You don’t seem like a bad dude. I say let’s squash it

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 877

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    This is 100% the truth. The college football playoffs have not even fielded 2 semifinal games that were both competitive yet. Lots of blowouts/shutouts, look at the history. This is ESPN and network driven.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I havent seen this but if the play in round is on college campuses, teams 1-4 get screwed in that deal. They essentially dont get a home game they should have earned. Either do this or make the whole thing at neutral sites or bowls.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    lot of blowouts now like 3 just this last year, if anything it makes it more likely we will get some close games