Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Stanford Steve and The Bear: Week 10 college football picks, bets, nuggets 🏈

Stanford Steve and The Bear: Week 10 college football picks, bets, nuggets

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

College football is in full swing in 2020, and it's unlike any season we have had before. One thing is familiar, though: "Stanford Steve" Coughlin and Chris "The Bear" Fallica breaking down games as only they can, offering their top bets, nuggets and totals worth wagering on. The Bear's three-week run of perfection (9-0) came to an end last week, but he's still on a 10-2 hot streak. How will the guys fare this week?

Here is your guide to Week 10 of the season with the two college football analysts. (Games postponed because of COVID-19 have been removed.)

Records

• Stanford Steve (1-1 last week, 15-9 overall)
    • The Bear (1-2, 14-9)

The plays

No. 1 Clemson Tigers (-5.5, 51.5) at No. 4 Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Stanford Steve: Since 1999, the Irish have lost 19 of 20 games to AP top-5 teams. But I am here to tell you: This time, they will win. First off, Notre Dame has won 22 straight at home. And now you have a true freshman quarterback making his first road start versus a defense that has more talent than the defense that QB played against last week. On the other side of the ball, I think Brian Kelly will have a run-heavy game plan and QB Ian Book will keep the Irish in manageable situations, especially on third down. I expect the Irish to run the ball as much as possible and keep the Clemson offense on the sideline. Notre Dame money line!

Pick: Notre Dame ML +190 (Notre Dame 27, Clemson 25)

No. 8 Florida Gators at No. 5 Georgia Bulldogs (-3, 52.5)

The Bear: Maybe this will be the year the Gators knock off Georgia, but until they do, I'm going to continue to back the Bulldogs, especially at a discounted number. In the past three seasons, Georgia has won by 20 points per game and outgained the Gators by 140 yards per game. Just four of 31 Gators drives reached the Georgia red zone. Yes, there are some concerns about the Bulldogs' offense; Stetson Bennett has thrown five interceptions in the past two games. But the expected return of Georgia wide receiver George Pickens against a poor secondary should produce some big plays. And the best unit on the field remains the Georgia defense.

Pick: Georgia -3

No. 23 Michigan Wolverines (-3, 54) at No. 13 Indiana Hoosiers

The Bear: Indiana has been a great story, but if you dig a little deeper than the W-L record, you'll find a team that averaged 2.7 yards per carry against Rutgers and didn't have 350 total yards for the game. This is a team that was badly outgained by Penn State and probably shouldn't have won that game, either. It's a team that has been the beneficiary of three turnovers in both games. Credit the Hoosiers for doing what they needed to do to win, but Michigan hasn't turned the ball over this year and offensively has put up 450 yards in both games. Yes, the Wolverines' defense gave up some big plays through the air last week, but I get the sense the Hoosiers will be a public 'dog as a ranked team at home versus a team that just suffered a crushing defeat to a rival. I'll back the Maize and Blue here.

Pick: Michigan -3

Kansas Jayhawks at No. 19 Oklahoma Sooners (-38, 63.5)

Stanford Steve: The Sooners might get to the total themselves.

Pick: Over 63.5 (Oklahoma 61, Kansas 17)

Arizona State Sun Devils at No. 20 USC Trojans (-10.5, 58.5)

The Bear: I'm bullish on USC in the Pac-12 this season. The Trojans are 21-4 over the past five years versus the Pac-12 South, and it appears the Sun Devils could be their toughest competition in the South. It has been tough to back the Trojans lately as a big favorite, but I like the spot for them. I sense people will be attracted to the underdog, but given the Sun Devils' personnel losses, I'm not sure they are the right side. I like the hire of defensive coordinator Todd Orlando by Clay Helton. I like QB Kedon Slovis. I like Southern California's wide receivers. And I like the Trojans here.

Pick: USC -10.5

No. 25 Liberty Flames at Virginia Tech Hokies (-14.5, 67.5)

Stanford Steve: Both teams average about 38 points per game on offense. Liberty is the ranked squad, but the Flames haven't seen an offense like this. In fact, the Flames are fresh off giving up 35 to Southern Miss and 21 to an awful Syracuse team. Points will be plentiful. Take the over.

Pick: Over 67.5 (Virginia Tech 45, Liberty 31)

Maryland Terrapins at Penn State Nittany Lions (-25, 63)

Pick:
    Over 63 (Penn State 45, Maryland 28)
    Stanford Steve:
    The last time Penn State started the year 0-2 was the same year James Franklin started 0-2, and that was when he was coaching at Vanderbilt. The Terps showed some life last week in a wild comeback to beat Minnesota. These two coaches don't like each other, so the thought is there will be plenty of fireworks and points scored. We'll take the over.

The Bear's underdogs to play on the money line

Boise State +125
    Washington +105

The Bear's money line parlay

$100 returns $119

SMU -850
    Coastal Carolina -1000
    Georgia State -1000
    Iowa State -600
    USC -380
    Memphis -1000

Bear Bytes

Ranked favorites on a roll

• There are four ranked matchups this weekend. This season, favorites are 13-2-1 against the spread (ATS) in ranked matchups. The two losers are SMU (vs. Cincinnati) and Florida (at Texas A&M).

Michigan at Indiana

• This is the first time since 1988 that Michigan is favored by less than seven points versus Indiana. That year, No. 20 Michigan defeated No. 14 Indiana 31-6 as a 6.5-point favorite. Dating back to 1978, this is the closest point spread between these two schools. That 6.5-point spread is the previous low.

BYU at Boise State

• This is just the second time in the past 15 years that the Broncos are a home underdog in the regular season. The other instance was as a 2.5-point underdog in 2018 prior to a 24-17 win over Fresno State.

Liberty at Virginia Tech

• This is the first time a team 6-0 or better is a double-digit underdog to a team with two losses since 2002, when 7-0 Notre Dame was a 10.5-point 'dog to 5-2 Florida State and won 34-24. The only other time a team 6-0 or better was a double-digit 'dog to a two-loss team was in 1996, when 9-0 Army lost 42-17 to 6-2 Syracuse as an 18.5-point underdog.

Houston at Cincinnati

• The Cougars have failed to cover in each of their three games as an underdog this season. But amazingly, Houston has covered 10 consecutive games as a double-digit underdog -- three under Dana Holgorsen, one under Major Applewhite, three under Tom Herman and three under Tony Levine. Houston won four of those games outright.

Washington at Cal

• The Bears are 1.5-point favorites over Washington. Cal has upset the Huskies each of the past two campaigns, as a 13.5-point 'dog and a 12.5-point 'dog, respectively.

Clemson at Notre Dame

•This would be the first time since 2017 against Auburn that Clemson is less than a 7-point favorite in a regular-season game. That year, the Tigers were 6-point favorites over Auburn and won 14-6.

• In the past 11 regular-season matchups between top-5 teams, underdogs are 8-3 ATS.

• Notre Dame has now been a home underdog five times since 2014. The Irish won every previous game outright (2018: +3 vs. Michigan, won 24-17; 2016 +1 vs. Miami, won 30-27; 2015: +2 vs. Georgia Tech, won 30-22; 2014: +2.5 vs. Stanford, won 17-14).

South Alabama at Coastal Carolina

• This would be the biggest favorite the Chanticleers have been versus an FBS opponent. Last year, Coastal was a 17-point favorite over UMass and won 62-28.

Air Force at Army

• Dating back to 2016, underdogs are 11-1 ATS with seven outright wins in the past 12 games between two academies.

Miami at NC State

• Top-12 teams are 10-26-1 ATS this season as double-digit favorites over unranked opponents (4-19 away from home).

Texas A&M at South Carolina

• Will Muschamp knows how to keep the alumni happy. He is 3-0 ATS this season versus ranked teams and 7-2 ATS versus ranked teams dating back to 2018, all coming as an underdog (two outright wins).

dmncnlou
    dmncnlou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9993

Florida is the play of the weekend!

justaguy37
    justaguy37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 296

Quote Originally Posted by dmncnlou View Post
    Florida is the play of the weekend!
    not so sure....seems a little too obvious no? banged up georgia and great fla qb....but the books keep georgia as favorites hmmmmmm

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

I've already locked in points bet il, action bets on clemson and maxed out on spread bets

might add on the spread at my other Il accounts if the line moves again

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    I've already locked in points bet il, action bets on clemson and maxed out on spread bets

might add on the spread at my other Il accounts if the line moves again
    Just like you wagered the Mortgage on Trump to win? You lying piece of crap. You do not have a f**king pot to pee in. It is time that you habitual liars in here start to get your worthless arses kicked.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2005

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Just like you wagered the Mortgage on Trump to win? You lying piece of crap. You do not have a f**king pot to pee in. It is time that you habitual liars in here start to get your worthless arses kicked.
    LMFAO

This poster is funny.