UFC main event breakdown -- Dustin Poirier vs. Dan Hooker

ESPN INSIDER ($ MATERIAL)

One of the most anticipated fights since the return of the UFC takes place in Las Vegas on Saturday as Dan Hooker and Dustin Poirier face off in the main event of UFC Fight Night.

Both fighters are in the top five of ESPN's lightweight rankings and looking to gain ground in the division. While Justin Gaethje will have the next shot at champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, the challenger for the next title fight is very much in question.

Poirier's (25-6) last fight was as the interim lightweight champion when he lost in the unification bout to Nurmagomedov, in September. Hooker (21-8) is on a three-fight winning streak, capped off by a very close split decision victory over Paul Felder in February.

How will this fight play out? Who has the edge? We asked Felder to break down his divisional rivals ahead of the bout.

Big picture

"Two guys who are world-class strikers that, for Poirier, is trying to get back to a title shot, and for Hooker, trying to get that first shot at winning the belt. There's a lot at stake for both of them, and neither one of them really shies away from going after their opponent, so you can expect back-and-forth action from the beginning to the end.

"I really do feel that both guys are tough enough for this to go to a decision. Believe it or not, I'd be surprised by a finish. Both have shown incredible durability, and both have been finished before, but my guess would be 25 hard minutes."

Who has the standup edge?

"I would give a slight edge to Poirier, but most of that comes from his experience as opposed to his skills. He's got the better boxing for sure, but I think you're going to see more of the diverse strikes coming from Hooker. He's going to mix things up more, but I would still give the edge in power and accuracy to Poirier."

What does the fight look like if it goes to the ground?

"I think that Dustin is a better grappler, but Hooker is also good. The transition from getting to the feet to the ground is where Hooker is really dangerous. Poirier also has a really good guillotine, so both of those guys can sub each other in that wrestling transition, and if either guy shoots a sloppy takedown from distance, they are at risk of being choked out.

"But once it's on the floor, I'd give the edge to Poirier."

What will Poirier take away from his loss to Khabib?

"I almost want to say: What can you take away? The guy -- Khabib -- was exactly who he expected him to be.

"I would say the thing he took away most is that you always got to try to be evolving and get better. That's the kind of guy that Dustin is. He's going to come back much stronger off that loss. He built up a lot of steam and a lot of momentum. You believe your own hype, and I'm not sure he thinks that anymore. I think now he realizes how quick this can all be taken away."

What do you think Hooker needs to do differently after your fight?

"I'm more of a Muay Thai guy, so I would say Poirier has the sharper hands that I do, but -- in the same way as Hooker -- I'm more of a varied attack. If he wants to win against Poirier, Hooker has to find those knees way more than he did against me. He can't eat shots like he did with me against Poirier because [Poirier's] not going to throw kicks and mix in things like I did. Poirier is going to keep going for those punches, and if he keeps touching you, he'll put you out.

"Hooker needs to be a little more on top of his defense in the boxing department. He got away with it against me because I was looking for so much other stuff, but Poirier, once he finds that target, he's going to stay on him."

How does Poirier win?

"He's got to close the distance and use that boxing. He's a really tricky southpaw who goes to the body really well. We've seen Hooker get hurt to the body in previous fights, he's almost too long for his own good sometimes -- he leaves something open. So Poirier has to get in there and go to the body, then look upstairs for the big punch, but ... good luck!"

How does Hooker win?

"He's really got to use his knees. I think he's got to go at it with a full Muay Thai attack to beat someone like Dustin. Nine times out of 10, most guys that face him are going to have inferior boxing. He's got really sharp hands. That can help you in a way, and for Hooker, what he's got to do is make Poirier think he wants to box him, then throw those knees up. Attack the legs. Use elbows. Hooker is long enough. He can elbow with him from a range Poirier is punching from. So for Hooker, he has to make all limbs count with elbows, knees, kicks and punches."

What's the X factor in the fight?

"For Poirier, it's his experience being in these longer, five-round, marquee fights. This is really just the second time for Hooker to experience this main event style publicity and all of this. And now, it's completely different than he even had to do last time.

"For Hooker, it's his power and his timing that sets him apart. His timing is really that 'it' factor for him. It amazed me when I fought him how easily he transitions out of combinations and still finds the chin, or the eye, in my case.

"His knee could also be big because he's facing a southpaw. Watch his rear right knee."

Prediction?

"No real prediction, but I think that the winner of this should be within a fight away from the title. That's where I wanted to be when I took that fight. I think the winner deserves to fight for a top-contender spot. The next fight should either be for the belt or one more fight before the belt.

"If there is going to be one more guy before they get that shot, it's gotta be Tony Ferguson."