mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Anyone Trying to Buy Precious Metals with the Price Dropping?

Saw silver is down into the $12/oz range. Thought it might be a good idea to pick up a couple rolls of Silver Eagles (Tube of 20 with the green US Mint Cap) with the price dropping. Melt value would be around $260, so figured $300-$325 for the premium of them being ASEs. Holy s$$$ the dealers will not budge on the price, charging $400+ for rolls. Not paying $7-$8 premium for them.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11842

Just buy the etf then and when the premiums narrow on the physical, sell them and get the coins.

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Been on their website previously since they take Bitcoin. Only problem is they claim to be "sold out" of the rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    Just buy the etf then and when the premiums narrow on the physical, sell them and get the coins.
    Do you just buy SLV or which ETF are you using?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I don’t know it’s not much correlation anymore with gold and the stock market it’s really weird

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11842

I'm not in any etfs right now, but SLV will work fine for the purpose of going long silver without taking possession of physical. I prefer physical though.

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    I'm not in any etfs right now, but SLV will work fine for the purpose of going long silver without taking possession of physical. I prefer physical though.
    I prefer physical myself, but your suggestion doesn't seem like a bad idea in case the price goes up before dealers bring down their premiums to reality. Gonna call a couple of local coin shops tomorrow since I was busy today.

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I don’t know it’s not much correlation anymore with gold and the stock market it’s really weird
    Not buying it to get rich. Just want a couple rolls in case SHTF and the price is cheap right now. Much easier to off load an ounce of silver than gold. I got Bitcoin, cash, and bullets already and figure silver would complete the superfecta of SHTF insurance.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    Not buying it to get rich. Just want a couple rolls in case SHTF and the price is cheap right now. Much easier to off load an ounce of silver than gold. I got Bitcoin, cash, and bullets already and figure silver would complete the superfecta of SHTF insurance.
    In case you are wondering, the shit is hitting the fan..........now!

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

1964 or older silver USA coins (dimes & quarters) are essential

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

probably a heavy premium with physical purchase

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Try to find the locally. Your local silver/pawn/collectables shop should have some items fairly close to spot

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

If stuff gets worse , way worse , lead will be better

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    If stuff gets worse , way worse , lead will be better
    Already good on that. Someone I know who works at a gun shop said they sold 3 dozen ARs in a day and can’t keep up with the demand for ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by hubie69 View Post
    Try to find the locally. Your local silver/pawn/collectables shop should have some items fairly close to spot
    Thats plan B, gonna try today.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Quote Originally Posted by mrpapageorgio View Post
    I'd stay away from ALL precious metals. Folks now a days do not give a shit about metals during a pandemic. Bleach, hand wipes, sanitizers, etc., are worth more than metals. Food, Supplies, Power, Water, Cash and bullets are king.

mrpapageorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I'd stay away from ALL precious metals. Folks now a days do not give a shit about metals during a pandemic. Bleach, hand wipes, sanitizers, etc., are worth more than metals. Food, Supplies, Power, Water, Cash and bullets are king.
    Agreed that supplies are more important, but Like I said, not looking to spend a fortune, just have a roll or two if I can get them for the right price. I already have a bullion 5 oz America the Beautiful quarter puck and a 10oz Australian Kookaburra I've had for years, but I figured having a couple rolls of ASE's would be better to sell off individually if SHTF than the pucks and can always hold onto them if not or just quickly liquidate them to get them off my hands.

Checked eBay. People are panicking and paying $400+ (even $500) for rolls of eagles when the melt value is about $260. Holy f$$#! Closest coin shop to me was closed. One didn't have any, and one was charging $400. I guess I'm better off selling what I got if people are willing to pay that kinda premium now for physical silver.
    Last edited by mrpapageorgio; 03-19-20 at 09:19 AM.

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Holding about 250 oz of silver
    About 12 ounces of gold people want to buy like crazy right now but I’m not selling shit....might consider trading it if the value is right....so many people laid off in my area or have lost their jobs I have been cruising craigslist deals are coming only a matter of time
    Last edited by pilebuck13; 03-19-20 at 10:53 AM.