louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

Stock Market experts , check in.

Why does the Stock market HAVE to trade? The market is open pretty much Mon-fri all year, except holidays. Plus there is early morning trading, after hours trading, even weekend trading.

Are all the people in the finance world such action junkies that all around the world there needs to be non-stop betting and hedging on every single stock/commodities/bonds/funds/precious metals/etc.

Why can't world markets just freeze and everything stays at the same price for a week , or even a month?

adila1401
    adila1401's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2486

louisvillekid
    slummin it

I guess so Adila.

cjwatsonfan32
    Emma Mackey does it for me and idk why
    cjwatsonfan32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

So in a time of the most action, why in the world would they stop?

Go to vegas and ask them for next year's superbowl, to not put any lines out and see if they would oblige the request. You are 99% more likely for that to happen than the world of investing saying "You know what, yeah, you lets stop for a week. Lets go on a week long mediation retreat to the poconos"

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30412

Lol they do stop trading in times of mass panic to reduce volatility. It happened just this morning

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

It's not a govt owned entity

These are private parties issuing buy or sell orders, of their own equity, thru their agents

To cease trading would be to nationalize private property

What we need is to stop pretending that open borders works, that all people are the same and that we live in a borderless world

No

Open borders is the anti treatment to decades of medical advances

Old people are a drain on society. They would be a colossal drain if we had a 1 payer social medical system....in fact it would have bankrupted the USA by now

It's interesting that it's ok for all of WOKE Europe to close its borders to prevent anyone from going in or out for fear of sickness and cost to contain but when Trump proposes it for infected migrants he's shunned or perceived terrorism he's taken to court

This is the same result the world saw in 1918 after the war and league of nations with it's new one world policy and literally 6 months into it we had Spanish Flu

Vote neutrality, isolate, nationalism. USA still a paradise....if we can keep it.

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    It's not a govt owned entity

These are private parties issuing buy or sell orders, of their own equity, thru their agents

To cease trading would be to nationalize private property

What we need is to stop pretending that open borders works, that all people are the same and that we live in a borderless world

No

Open borders is the anti treatment to decades of medical advances

Old people are a drain on society. They would be a colossal drain if we had a 1 payer social medical system....in fact it would have bankrupted the USA by now

It's interesting that it's ok for all of WOKE Europe to close its borders to prevent anyone from going in or out for fear of sickness and cost to contain but when Trump proposes it for infected migrants he's shunned or perceived terrorism he's taken to court

This is the same result the world saw in 1918 after the war and league of nations with it's new one world policy and literally 6 months into it we had Spanish Flu

Vote neutrality, isolate, nationalism. USA still a paradise....if we can keep it.
    Umm...Ok, so I got you marked as a "NO" for the Free-markets around the world ever taking time off from trading.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

can they please go back 3 weeks?

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Ok! So the more sellers than buyers makes a stock price drop. The less sellers and more buyers makes a stock more valuable.

I'm never going to understand this garbage game of basically white-collar high dollar gambling of average peoples money. I'm never gonna grasp how a company having a less revenue quarter than a previous quarter, or the same quarter as the year before, will drop a stock price. Earnings fluctuate all over, quarter to quarter, seasonal, yearly, etc.
    The idea that a company has to keep increasing revenue quarter over quarter, year after year, just to hold value is baffling. There are companies that start off and might grow at a crazy rate, yet constantly show a loss. Yet their stock price will continue to grow.

This whole market crashing all because less people are working and spending money is such nonsense. Everyone knows it is a temporary thing. Companies aren't all of the sudden losing brand recognition and/or market share to a better competitor because of advertising or some other trivial BS. All name brands still have name recognition and marketability. Even local or regional chains of businesses still have their brand intact.

Most corporations have stock either owned by the company, or large chunks owned by CEO, President, VP, Exe VP, CFO, COO, people on B.O.D., usually some large hedge funds or venture capitalists, and possibly by a lot of upper management and even top employees, or just regular employees. If that is the case with most corporations, with an overwhelming group holding shares, then most would be in for the long haul. So again, if more people are holding and not selling, the price should stay close to the same.
    I don't understand how just day traders and smaller hedge funds and whatnot,with their small amount of shares, can be the sellers and/or buyers who can make waves in a market and devalue a company's stock price.
    Look at almost any stock of a decent sized company and the daily average of shares traded in relation to total shares in existence and it's usually less than 2%, definitely less than 5%. So again, it baffles me how 2-5% of people buying and selling of a companies shares just to skim daily profits(or lose) and could care less about any long-term holdings, can somehow devalue a stock, if a large majority of shares are being sat on.
    Same as I don't get how a company is valued in relation to total shares, price of the share, and the yearly revenue. There are companies that have a niche market and not necessarily a household name, yet they might have 120 million shares and each share is $35, and company is valued at 5 billion,and has yearly revenue of around 800-900 million, and pay no dividends. As I mentioned earlier, there can be some companies that grow, or have grown fast over past decade or so, and stock grows and grows, yet they claim to not turn a profit even with 10's of billions in yearly revenue. There can be other household name brand companies that might have billions of shares and have a daily moving average of only 20 million of the shares, and the company advertises like crazy and has billions in sales, and pays a dividend, yet stock is cheap.

I'm just not understanding how a whole crapload of name brand companies can lose so much value off just going to have a lower upcoming quarter in revenue, and possibly the next. The name and the brand is still there.
    There is no scandal, no protests, no nothing, to cause big corporations to lose their value.

I look at it like seasonal businesses. look at how many businesses, small or medium, even large, that have a seasonal type business as to when they make bulk of their money. The hysteria of businesses needing pay rent, property taxes, utility bills, etc. even if they have to close-up shop for a minute, is going to cause them to go under. And in the case of large chains that have stock, it somehow makes the stock tank.
    I fail to see the correlation.
    Ski-resorts, Theme parks, horse-racing tracks, dog-tracks, almost any racetrack, outdoor venues for concerts and plays, boating and lakes/campgrounds, Ice-cream parlors(summertime type places for ice-cream/hot dogs/etc.), greenhouses/landscaping, places that sell seasonal machinery, and on and on.
    All those type businesses can have huge chunks of the year where they sit idle and closed up. Yet when it's their certain season they make money. But in the downtime the owners of those places still have upkeep, utilities(less of course) and bills, insurance, etc. Yet the name recognition is still there. There is no true-value lost just because it sits idle for certain part of the year. That's why I fail to grasp the idea that some lost revenue for 1 month, 3, heck maybe even 6 to 12, and only less, not none, is somehow equal to a company's stock price losing a crapload of it's value.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

Search Results

Finance Results

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)]Market Summary > [COLOR=#212121 !important]XPO Logistics Inc[/COLOR]
    NYSE: XPO

Follow

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]46.19[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)] USD[/COLOR] +1.82 (4.10%)
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)]Closed: Mar 24, 7:56 PM EDT · [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)]Disclaimer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.62)]After hours 46.19 [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]0.00 (0.00%)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Purduekev
    Purduekev's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 306

If one needs to get their gambling fix satisfied with no sports to wager on then I suggest opening a brokerage account with options access. That is the ultimate substitute when volatility is high. Buy puts or calls in the SPY and enjoy the ride intraday.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

it crazy with the options and when they expired, they are gone

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Buy Nokia stock

Purduekev
    Purduekev's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 306

This has been my entertainment with sports betting on hiatus. Buying puts have been profitable in this downturn with the exception of today!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

It seems smart to buy 5k worth of nok I think it triples - 5g play Nokia they make tons of parts and it was 5-7$ and now it’s 2’and change - that’s a solid home run play imo

Ok so tell me if I'm crazy but China unleashes this crazy shit on the world and then boom somehow solves it very quickly while we all suffer and they down play it and it leaves us ******.... airlines at 10$ cruise lines 10$ all gonna cut dividends and need bailouts..... was this a plan ?

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2041

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    It seems smart to buy 5k worth of nok I think it triples - 5g play Nokia they make tons of parts and it was 5-7$ and now it’s 2’and change - that’s a solid home run play imo

Ok so tell me if I'm crazy but China unleashes this crazy shit on the world and then boom somehow solves it very quickly while we all suffer and they down play it and it leaves us ******.... airlines at 10$ cruise lines 10$ all gonna cut dividends and need bailouts..... was this a plan ?
    PutinPlan For America, backed by Mob bought boy president and senate lackeys, sprinkled with Nunes-like House Memberz.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Short term treasuries have negative interest -- So where will the CASH go ?

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

You can't close the market for weeks at a time because people need to have access to their money. The market is far from a perfect system and certainly people exploit it for their own purposes.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

There’s no such thing as a stock market expert or a gambling expert it’s a game of chance especially in the short term