slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

Leonard

Are we talking him up as one of the greats now

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

He hasn't done enough yet but guys who play for Popovich never get the credit they deserve because the narrative is Pop is a genius he makes everyone look great. Pop is a good coach but he never won shit before Duncan came in. Parker was elite in his prime too. Leonard is a top 5 player and if he continues to play at this level he'll be in the conversation for best player in the game.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Name one NBA Coach who ever won multiple titles without at least one star player. Pop had only one true elite and he won 5.

Leonard isn’t the player he is today if Spurs don’t draft him and help improve his game steadily over several years. Helped turn him into the top player he is today.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    Name one NBA Coach who ever won multiple titles without at least one star player. Pop had only one true elite and he won 5.

Leonard isn’t the player he is today if Spurs don’t draft him and help improve his game steadily over several years. Helped turn him into the top player he is today.
    Larry Brown with Detroit over the Lakers. Don't tell me billups was a star

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Name one NBA Coach who ever won without a star
    Larry Brown. Popovich actually had no stars when they beat Miami as well because the legends were way past their prime and Kawai only averaged 11 a game that year was not the player he is now.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    He hasn't done enough yet but guys who play for Popovich never get the credit they deserve because the narrative is Pop is a genius he makes everyone look great. Pop is a good coach but he never won shit before Duncan came in. Parker was elite in his prime too. Leonard is a top 5 player and if he continues to play at this level he'll be in the conversation for best player in the game.

kawhi never had this freedom with pop in that system. now he is the guy and gets to do whatever he wants without question and a coach who wants to thank him more than question him. i always thought spurs are and were boring as hell. but watching kawhi with toronto is a whole different ball game.

thomorino

Poppovich won 1 title when Duncan wasn't playing at a superstar level, and he had Kawhi and Parker, he's a good coach but he's not the genius every one makes him out to be. Poppovich never won multiple titles without at least 1 star player - he won 1 - and that was with Kawhi.

BigJay

I said multiple titles. Sure there are a few blips like the 2004 Pistons. No huge stars on that team. But more than one title?? Never.

I live about 30 min from SA so am definitely Spurs biased.

You can say just about every coach who won multiple titles had star players so the coach shouldn’t get as much credit as he does, but the Spurs were a very high seed and even the top seed at least once with David Robinson and never won anything until Pop and Duncan were there.
    Last edited by BigJay; 05-23-19 at 11:41 PM.

rm18
    Update your status

MultipleI caught him before he changed it. You dont need to win the title twice to get a trophy or cash a ticket.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: asiagambler

rm18
    Update your status

I didnt edit you edited after i quote

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30443

Idiot

chalkman777
    chalkman777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3177

jordan
    kobe
    kawai

thomorino

I said multiple titles. Sure there are a few blips like the 2004 Pistons. No huge stars on that team. But more than one title?? Never.

I live about 30 min from SA so am definitely Spurs biased.

You can say just about every coach who won multiple titles had star players so the coach shouldn’t get as much credit as he does, but the Spurs were a very high seed and even the top seed at least once with David Robinson and never won anything until Pop and Duncan were there.
    Pop never won multiple titles without stars, he won 1. All his other title were with Duncan and Parker playing at an elite level.

BigJay

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    MultipleI caught him before he changed it. You dont need to win the title twice to get a trophy or cash a ticket.
    Dipshit I didn’t change my first post. LB quoted me before you and it says multiple titles but whatever.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Dumb fcks who only check in for the playoffs apparently are.

rm18
    Update your status

Dipshit I didn’t change my first post. LB quoted me before you and it says multiple titles but whatever.
    That doesn't mean anything just that I took longer to type my message than lakerboy he is sipping whiskey I am grinding online poker

BigJay

Phil, Pop, Riley, Red, all had at least one mega star and a couple of other elite players. Some had two or more mega stars. Does it take away from what they accomplished? I would have to argue no.

That’s what it takes to win titles in the NBA. Always been that way.

BigJay

That doesn't mean anything just that I took longer to type my message than lakerboy he is sipping whiskey I am grinding online poker
    No worries. It’s been a long day.

I could be wrong. I often am.

thomorino

Phil, Pop, Riley, Red, all had at least one mega star and a couple of other elite players. Some had two or more mega stars. Does it take away from what they accomplished? I would have to argue no.

That’s what it takes to win titles in the NBA. Always been that way.
    That's wrong. Riley won in 2006 without a superstar, Wade and an older Shaq were good but superstar level. Detroit won with Wallace and Billups. The Celtics didn't have a superstar when the got to the finals 3 times and won 1 title - Garnet was older and not on Duncan or Kobe's level.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

No coach in the history of the nba has won without elite talent. Plenty have lost with it tho.

2daBank

That's wrong. Riley won in 2006 without a superstar, Wade and an older Shaq were good but superstar level. Detroit won with Wallace and Billups. The Celtics didn't have a superstar when the got to the finals 3 times and won 1 title - Garnet was older and not on Duncan or Kobe's level.
    Wade wasn’t a superstar?? Lmfao

Boston had 3 HOFers.

Pistons were the only exception.

rm18
    Update your status

Ban this guy he has lost it, it is for his own good. He basically just said Tony Parker who got benched for Speedy Claxton was better than Garnett, Truth, Wade, Shaq, Rondo, and Ray Allen.

BigJay

Wade was definitely a superstar

rm18
    Update your status

Also Parker was not even better than Ginobili but that is a lesser error

2daBank

Wade was definitely a superstar
    Of course he was. Anyone who says different isn’t worth listening too

thomorino

Ban this guy he has lost it, it is for his own good. He basically just said Tony Parker who got benched for Speedy Claxton was better than Garnett, Truth, Wade, Shaq, Rondo, and Ray Allen.
    No dumb one, I said that Duncan in his prime was a superstar - Boston had stars but Pierce, Allen, Garnett, were older, they weren't superstars. Wade in 2006 was not a superstar, Dallas almost went up 3-0 in that series before Wade got all the calls too.

thomorino

Wade in 2006 had no established himself as a superstar - not even close. That Miami team struggled early in the year before firing Van Gundy, they were down 2-0 to Dallas down double digits in the 4th of game 3 before the refs bailed them out.

BigJay

Agree Pistons were only exception. I looked back and the only team I though of was the 69 and 73 Knicks. Forgot how good Clyde Frazier was. Dude was the man. You just don’t see a lot of them nowadays like you do some of the other champs of the 60s and 70s when they talk about those eras.

thomorino

2006 was Wade's 3rd year in the league - no one thought of him as a superstar at that point - its ridiculous to argue against that.

BigJay

In 06 Wade finished sixth in MVP voting, averaged 27 pts, 6 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals. Those are superstar numbers and he’d back them up for years to come. And anyone who watched the 2006 finals who didn’t say he was a superstar afterward was watching a different series than I was.

2daBank

2006 was Wade's 3rd year in the league - no one thought of him as a superstar at that point - its ridiculous to argue against that.
    If anyone knows ridiculous it you, see it in the mirror every morning. If you don’t think he was a superstar in that Dallas series you retarded. So what year they have to be in to be considered a star?? He was too young, Garnett too old. I guess guys only superstars for 2-3 years?? Was Bron a superstar year 1??

2daBank

No dumb one, I said that Duncan in his prime was a superstar - Boston had stars but Pierce, Allen, Garnett, were older, they weren't superstars. Wade in 2006 was not a superstar, Dallas almost went up 3-0 in that series before Wade got all the calls too.
    All HOFers dip shit

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post

If anyone knows ridiculous it you, see it in the mirror every morning. If you don’t think he was a superstar in that Dallas series you retarded. So what year they have to be in to be considered a star?? He was too young, Garnett too old. I guess guys only superstars for 2-3 years?? Was Bron a superstar year 1??
    Fuk off

2daBank

In 06 Wade finished sixth in MVP voting, averaged 27 pts, 6 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals. Those are superstar numbers and he’d back them up for years to come. And anyone who watched the 2006 finals who didn’t say he was a superstar afterward was watching a different series than I was.
    Or they just don’t know shit. Thermaflu don’t know shit

Apparently not all HOFers are stars!! Lol

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    i nicknamed him "young mike" in that series as i had not seen a player look that dominant in the finals since jordan. not sure wade was ever as good again as he was in those finals. but for those last 4 games he was absolutely amazing.

12 Last