jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Fixed is usually from a guy with a fifth grade education

bhoor
    bhoor's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3692

I'm not sure about the last game. In fact, sports leagues are in general for entertainment purposes. And NBA is a give-and-take league just like NFL in which games are heavily influenced by League and its officials. For example, g7 of GST-Houston last year was heavily influenced of in favor of warriors. James Harden should have said something in public. Instead, he or his coaching staff accepted the norm NBA set in them. Just like KVB said ' NBA player's job reqs include the NBA dramas.'

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    if you can bet it, it can be fixed a certain way. It has been and always will be
    Exactly. All these athletes have to do is stay in shape.... and get ready for the game. Their accountants pay the bills for them etc... or the wives...

I think these athletes know what to do and when to do it. You ALWAYS know the SCORE... and you ALWAYS know the MARGIN. Curry just made it look so obvious how they wanted it to land on Houston 5. Clearly G.S. had a GREAT CHANCE in losing by 1-4 easily... with 3 point baskets and fouls. Anything can happen... Houston could miss free throws.... etc. Clearly the NBA wanted Houston to win Game 3.

That's all we know.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10289

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    To become a "made man" in the NBA takes more than just talent. You have to play their game, not just the game.

It's a wild notion on the surface, but when I saw Curry take the dive against Cleveland in game 7 to give Lebron a title in a Cavs jersey, it effectively pointed to what KVB is alluding to. It's the same thing in entertainment... you want the notoriety and the big bucks, you have to be willing to submit. It's not good enough to be just a talented singer or actor.
    ~~~
    Sharp post Eddy.
    The NBA IS "Entertainment".

8Look at Labronna....bought and paid for.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

lol come on fellas... the scripted games are the ones where the refs call it 100% in favor of 1 team for most of the game or start doing it when team A (who is supposed to win) is losing and needs help

lakers kings back in 2002

warriors rockets game 7 last year

in those instances the refs ended up making it blatantly obvious because team A was playing very poorly and wouldn't have won without the refs

thats how we know it does happen

it happens a lot more in weird end of game scenarios that play out just to impact the spread or total... "how come the spurs didn't foul in game 7" down just a few points

"they couldn't hear" they were tired and gave up... yeah............ ok buddy

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Did anyone really think the NBA was going to let the most anticipated series of the year end in 4 or 5?

C'mon

These players don't get the privilege of making $20mm/ yr unless the league can sell intrigue on TV and tickets to more games.

Always thought the NBA's secret was a few superstars who, in connection w a few refs, make the results what is in the leagues best interests.

It's a business afterall... theres a certain script that needs to be followed in order to make money.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Of course JJ would deny leagues influence on outcomes, and I get it, look at the market for gambling on tv shows and wrestling, or outcomes of movies..if the masses believed their bets were not being decided by the actors..er I mean athletes and stats, the market could shrink.

With sports I would say MOST bettors have the mentality of, every player and team, on any given day, is giving 100% and trying to win. Take this away and I believe the market crumbles.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

The NBA picked a great niche of society to entrust these script secrets

They can coach a guy like Derrick Rose or Ron artest up, to obey and follow the plan and not let the heat of competition take over and most importantly, never let a brother Reggie or other Entourage hanger on know about the secret. Or the entourages too would also to be sure to be discreet, even when they feel treated unfairly. It's a trait of their kind after all. And for the rest of their lives, not just when they are under contract . No loose lips whatsoever.

NBA prob milks the unknowing losers for an extra.... What? 5% or 10% ratings boost through these methods.

Big pay off.... No risk

MinnesotaFats

Well what would be the difference between, say....MLB players juicing in 80s/ 90s (let's be honest- it was with owners consent and trainers help) for the leagues benefit versus, say...a crew of refs w orders from the league to skew calls one direction to aid an inferior team for benefit of league...

Fans in the dark on both....

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

The NBA Final script from last year with Golden State and Cleveland was just soooo entertaining

Can't wait to see how they top it this year

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    The NBA picked a great niche of society to entrust these script secrets

They can coach a guy like Derrick Rose or Ron artest up, to obey and follow the plan and not let the heat of competition take over and most importantly, never let a brother Reggie or other Entourage hanger on know about the secret. Or the entourages too would also to be sure to be discreet, even when they feel treated unfairly. It's a trait of their kind after all. And for the rest of their lives, not just when they are under contract . No loose lips whatsoever.

NBA prob milks the unknowing losers for an extra.... What? 5% or 10% ratings boost through these methods.

Big pay off.... No risk
    why is race in your posts every day archie? were you raped as a young boy? something in your life you haven't got over? you and dlowilly are so obsessive with this shit. i'm sure you have some typical answer about how your city and neighborhoods are being destroyed or some other goofy shit. so you choose a sports forum to express yourself? there are plenty of other outlets for your kind. don't muck every nba thread up with your bullshit.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Well what would be the difference between, say....MLB players juicing in 80s/ 90s (let's be honest- it was with owners consent and trainers help) for the leagues benefit versus, say...a crew of refs w orders from the league to skew calls one direction to aid an inferior team for benefit of league...

Fans in the dark on both....

The difference?

One fixes outcomes for wins and losses

The other puts basically all players on a level playing field of cheating, since they eventually all did so they could hit the ball further and play at a higher level.

Did some of the vials of roids contain automatic wins?

Or did they still play a fair undetermined game?

Apples

Oranges

NrmlCurvSurfr

Players should be all about growing their industry. More money for everyone. Of course you want to be the best as far as stats, wins, championships etc, this brings the individual more benefits, but at the same time work together to create a more desirable product.. no matter where you stand in the league, if it grows, so do your benefits.

MinnesotaFats

The difference?

One fixes outcomes for wins and losses

The other puts basically all players on a level playing field of cheating, since they eventually all did so they could hit the ball further and play at a higher level.

Did some of the vials of roids contain automatic wins?

Or did they still play a fair undetermined game?

Apples

Oranges
    Equal playing field lol

They basically overnight made guys like Giambe more relevant than Vince Coleman or Willie McGee

Teams were built around their ballpark had to build new ballparks and reinvest in their system

But to the larger point, it's about the league and the leagues best interest.

Bad baseball teams still out draw good nba teams even in Sept/ Oct

NBA's goal is as much national TV time as possible

Mlb is regional TV, and it dominates, so its interest was fan attendance and what better way than to let fans think they're gonna catch a hr or see a lot of fireworks. Only way to do that is to create a mob of superhumans and try to cover it up....Canseco let it slip but you saw the cover up...hell it went to Congress lol

Nba no difference, just need to stretch the TV time as long as possible....easiest way is to watch the fouls or questionable calls...or get one star who's above the eqo thing and sign him up for extra stuff (team ownership, consulting gigs, PA rep, etc)

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

So how was the TV time in the NBA Final last year?

Why did the NBA never think about what great intrigue and numbers they could get with a Michael Jordan game 7.

Never got to see that in a final

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I agree. Seems like the NBA wanted Houston to win. Wasn't that a charge on Harden at the end?
    Oh the nba absolutely wanted Houston to win, I saw something about how much a sweep cost the networks, then throw in the fact nobody gives a rats ass about the other side of bracket in West and that why I played Houston gm 3., I don’t think it “fixed” tho, I just think they tend to give the team they want to win as many advantages as possible which generally enough w teams that somewhat close.

2daBank

So how was the TV time in the NBA Final last year?

Why did the NBA never think about what great intrigue and numbers they could get with a Michael Jordan game 7.

Never got to see that in a final
    Cause fix is way too strong of a word. They not fixed, they just give team they want to win a game some advantages imo, certainly doesn’t ensure anything just increases the chances of getting desired result.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Oh the nba absolutely wanted Houston to win, I saw something about how much a sweep cost the networks, then throw in the fact nobody gives a rats ass about the other side of bracket in West and that why I played Houston gm 3., I don’t think it “fixed” tho, I just think they tend to give the team they want to win as many advantages as possible which generally enough w teams that somewhat close.
    What does "fixed" mean, Bank? That the outcome was predetermined? I don't think so, either. Do refs call with public perception in mind? Sure. But "fixed"? I've never thought that and I've lost some tough ones, too.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    What does "fixed" mean, Bank? That the outcome was predetermined? I don't think so, either. Do refs call with public perception in mind? Sure. But "fixed"? I've never thought that and I've lost some tough ones, too.
    I’m assuming they mean that yes a certain amount of players or officials go into a game w idea of making the outcome go whichever way they choose, and yea I agree it pretty crazy to think that actually happening.

Some college games sure, that not all that tough to envision and has been exposed several times. Far more likely gamblers can get to a couple broke college kids and get them to shave points/fix a game. But pros who making millions? Even the role players are rich! Why the hell would they risk that? There no way to make enough betting on a game to compensate them to point it be worth the risk!

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Same dudes always chirping about fixed games AFTER the fact, BUT stating they knew who was going to win before the game because of some huge conspiracy.

If I could tell who was going to win a game because I knew a fix was in, why would I ever bet any other game?
    I would just wait and hammer the fukk out of the "sure thing".

Obviously the NBA put the fix in on this game making sure it goes to O.T. and the fav wins and covers.

Please, with sugar on top, post about the FIX before the next rig job with a huge ticket.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: kingdom

NrmlCurvSurfr

guys claiming there is no influence seem to be at times, fixated on single games/calls...its not about one game, or even one series...the influence is not about one stroke of the paddle, but rather the overall direction the boat is traveling...

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    guys claiming there is no influence seem to be at times, fixated on single games/calls...its not about one game, or even one series...the influence is not about one stroke of the paddle, but rather the overall direction the boat is traveling...
    Ok, so that's not "fixed", that's "influenced."

I get it. I've seen some things in soccer or collegiate sports (like bank said) that if it wasn't fixed, i'd cut my left nut off.

But NBA? Refs and players make way too much for things to be "fixed."

Fixed, influenced, big difference...

NrmlCurvSurfr

Ok, so that's not "fixed", that's "influenced."

I get it. I've seen some things in soccer or collegiate sports (like bank said) that if it wasn't fixed, i'd cut my left nut off.

But NBA? Refs and players make way too much for things to be "fixed."

Fixed, influenced, big difference...
    sure, fixed sounds like more of a rogue operation. Influenced sounds more like an in house operation...to believe neither exists seems insane to me...

JayLA
    On to the next one...

sure, fixed sounds like more of a rogue operation. Influenced sounds more like an in house operation...to believe neither exists seems insane to me...
    Ok, let's speak black and white

Do you think NBA refs or players (aside from Tim Donaghy) are calling or playing different to affect the outcome of a game strictly because of the spread...or straight up?

NrmlCurvSurfr

Ok, let's speak black and white

Do you think NBA refs or players (aside from Tim Donaghy) are calling or playing different to affect the outcome of a game strictly because of the spread?
    no, how much does the NBA profit from gambling? the guys that pay for cable because they bet on the games? NO, its about everything else...the gambling industry is piggybacking off the leagues, leagues don't make money from gambling, its the other way around...

NrmlCurvSurfr

^ that being said...sure some guys in the leagues probably get desperate and try to make something gambling, but this would be an example of a rogue operation...like Tim

JayLA
    On to the next one...

no, how much does the NBA profit from gambling? the guys that pay for cable because they bet on the games? NO, its about everything else...the gambling industry is piggybacking off the leagues, leagues don't make money from gambling, its the other way around...
    ^ that being said...sure some guys in the leagues probably get desperate and try to make something gambling, but this would be an example of a rogue operation...like Tim
    Ok so you don't think NBA games are "fixed" or "rigged". Neither do I

JayLA
    On to the next one...

THAT being said, I have bet on NBA games based on what I think is better for the league because I think the NBA (and the NFL) have an agenda and prefer certain narratives to develop...but that's just American sports, not "fixing."

NrmlCurvSurfr

Ok so you don't think NBA games are "fixed" or "rigged". Neither do I
    Im saying that's not the goal of the leagues, to fix games based on the spread, if you read my follow up post you will see that i believe "fixes" have occurred...tim is one example...you believe that's an isolated incident?...

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

If you categorized the 4 major sports that can be "influenced" one way or another.

1. NBA
    2. NFL/NCAA Football
    3. MLB/NHL

I've been watching the NBA for 20+ years. If there's too much money on one side... chances are... that side isn't going to win. Again... just like BANK said... not 100% fixed. But, refs aren't stupid... they work with each other... and are good at "managing" the outcome. They will do their best to "influence" the side.

Again... no one can explain why CURRY and THOMPSON didn't foul last night. 2 elite stars basically saying.. FUK IT... we lost! Games over with 16 seconds to go. But during the Toronto Philadelphia game moments ago... players are fouling like crazy at the end of the game.

As for the Golden State Cleveland series... in which Golden State destroyed them... Vegas got a ton of action on Cleveland +9.5 and +10. So even though Golden State (the favorite) won... Vegas still made money. Everyone loves Lebron James... they think he's god.

Nothing is fool proof. But, if you totally turn your head to what just went down in the G.S. Houston game... something is wrong with you.

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Im saying that's not the goal of the leagues, to fix games based on the spread, if you read my follow up post you will see that i believe "fixes" have occurred...tim is one example...you believe that's an isolated incident?...
    you got me there. I dont think it's an isolated incident.... but as a fan and small time gambler, it's tough to think about. who though? I suspect walt anderson in the NFL "influences" games...but without proof, i'll just bet on my superstitions....if i thought big 4 games were actually rigged, i wouldn't bet on them

NrmlCurvSurfr

^ although if the target audience of the NBA were gamblers, then they better be influencing/fixing games based on the spread...keep the bettors thinking they have a shot...but they make most of their money on tv so i believe the gamblers are kind of an after thought

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Missed opportunity by NBA to rig a game 7 with Golden St and Houston

What were they thinking?

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Missed opportunity by NBA to rig a game 7 with Golden St and Houston

What were they thinking?
    GS needs the extra rest now since Durant is out for a while or they will tire out by the end of the west finals

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    guys making 20 million plus a year plus millions in endorsements gonna risk all that for what 50k in a gym bag

Exactamente!

First 1234 Last