MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

CNBC takes a shot at MLB

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/01/bryce-harpers-330-million-deal-cant-solve-mlbs-big-spending-issue.html?forYou=true

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20397

I saw an article that MLB attendance used to be actual attendance through 1992. But after that, because of revenue sharing, they use "tickets sold" as attendance.

In this age of the extreme cost of attending a game, and the fact we can watch every game on tv, I'd like to see the actual attendance of people at the ball park. I bet those numbers are dismal.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I think baseball is by far the most boring sport to watch if you didn't have any money on the game. That's pretty sad.....

It's just too slow.... and there's really nothing from an entertainment standpoint... that you can do to speed up the game. There's no need to change tradition.

For all 4 major sports.... we all know hockey is the only sport with the lowest salaries.... I think they will always be stable.

It remains to be seen what happens to MLB, NBA, and NFL. Will they be able to survive with such a high salaries?

Who's buying all of these tickets and not going to the games? It's the weirdest thing ever? Big corporate companies buying tickets? What a waste of money.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20397

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I think baseball is by far the most boring sport to watch if you didn't have any money on the game. That's pretty sad.....

It's just too slow.... and there's really nothing from an entertainment standpoint... that you can do to speed up the game. There's no need to change tradition.

For all 4 major sports.... we all know hockey is the only sport with the lowest salaries.... I think they will always be stable.

It remains to be seen what happens to MLB, NBA, and NFL. Will they be able to survive with such a high salaries?

Who's buying all of these tickets and not going to the games? It's the weirdest thing ever? Big corporate companies buying tickets? What a waste of money.
    Not just corps buying tickets that go unused. Joe Blow, too. You buy 82 games, there's very few people that will go to them all. The sucky ones, you can't sell on StubHub or even give away to your friends.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

Agree 100%

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

A lot of those unused tix are coopted marketing things

I.E. Budweiser pays Twins for signage, a certain #of rows serviced by vendors, #of taps and stations, # of super premium product placements and in exchange they get promotion rights, logo rights, the press box 6 nights, a first putch ceremony and 2500 tickets gratis, dumped on them last minute

So the local distributor gets a fedex Tuesday AM with 50 tix to a Tuesday night Twins / Mariners game. 45 of those are going unused because it's just too late....they're usually goid tix too!

Now times that 45 per game by maybe 20 corporate sponsors and suddenly theres 800-1000 tix per night sold, but not used

And that why when the stadium looks like 15,000 are in there theres really 7-10% less

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

baseball blows

DroopyDog
    DroopyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2078

Attendance is no longer the key source of revenue. TV ratings are more important because of these astronomical TV deals the teams get from their regional networks