ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Strategy question for MNf that would’ve pissed Vegas off

Giants up 4 there on SF final drive.

Kyle is a pretty intelligent coach. Say they hit the walkoff touchdown there to go up 2.

With rules now saying that you can run a conversion back for 2, wouldn’t the correct play on the conversion with no time left be to kneel and not to a PAT or 2 pointer and therefore giants lose by 2 and cover.

Analytics say that’s the best play, even if small % a blocked kick return is higher probability with no time on clock then forcing fumble on a kneel and running it back.

Thoughts? We’re 49ers backers screwed on that final play regardless

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

With the longer kick I think most coaches would take a knee and not kick it

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Game was over with that phantom PI call when OBJ didn’t catch it

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    I agree.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

ans61201 is 100% correct. I do not think situation has ever come up yet in NFL since they instituted the reverse duece a couple of years ago, but college coaches have taken a knee in those spots.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    Longer PAT is actually irrelevant because it does not change the strategy. Point of taking knee is to eliminate return of a blocked kick.

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    ans61201 is 100% correct. I do not think situation has ever come up yet in NFL since they instituted the reverse duece a couple of years ago, but college coaches have taken a knee in those spots.
    Was watching game with a guy at mgm who had -2.5 live (I was on giants +3) and he thought that final play was a flag on NY and I told him with no time I think you’re screwed, it’s just like a gurley falling on the 1, having a 1% chance of losing is worse than a 0% chance. Kneel the PAT

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Longer PAT is actually irrelevant because it does not change the strategy. Point of taking knee is to eliminate return of a blocked kick.

I think he meant in the sense that it may put it into coaches mind more because a longer kick is a lower kick and easier to block. Like you said haven’t seen this come up, you’d almost need this exact score and the td to be scored with less than 6 seconds

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by ans61201 View Post
    I think he meant in the sense that it may put it into coaches mind more because a longer kick is a lower kick and easier to block. Like you said haven’t seen this come up, you’d almost need this exact score and the td to be scored with less than 6 seconds
    I get that the longer the kick, the lower the projectory and thus the more chance of a potential block, but even the old 20-yard PATs could be blocked, so the longer PAT has no bearing in protecting against that.

bballs84
    bballs84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40233

Thought the rule changed this year.. After Vikings Saints.. No extra point is attempted with 0 on the clock if doesnf effect game..?

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by bballs84 View Post
    Thought the rule changed this year.. After Vikings Saints.. No extra point is attempted with 0 on the clock if doesnf effect game..?
    Right, but if game is within two points, it DOES affect the game.

ans61201

Quote Originally Posted by bballs84 View Post
    You're right. Just read this if it can't affect the game it was changed. Still think this is the right strategy with less than 10 ish seconds

LT Profits

You're right. Just read this if it can't affect the game it was changed. Still think this is the right strategy with less than 10 ish seconds
    But as I just said, it DOES affect the game due to possibility of reverse two-pointer. So if game is within two points at 0:00, conversion must be "attempted". I used the "" due to kneeldown strategy.

LT Profits

And NO, with less than 10 seconds (but more than 0), you go ahead and kick the PAT if up 2 or go or two if up 1 because you will have to kick off, and there will be the possibility of an untimed down if the kicking team commits a penalty on the return.