jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

How Long Before There Are No Home Plate Umps?

I just get so sick of seeing this little rectangle graphic in all baseball games and constantly seeing balls outside of it being called strikes and vice versa. All games didnt show this box during the entire game some time ago then some games did now seems like all have it during entire game just seems its headed the way of no home plate umps eventually or am I dreaming.

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

Leave the ump to call the count. Needs to be like tennis.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11854

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    Exactly. No need to get rid of the ump. Just get rid of him actually calling strikes and balls. He can still convey the call though, just not make it.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    Tennis uses an automated system to handle challenges that can't even be scientifically proved that it is accurate.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20445

Every ump has a different strike zone. We have the technology, just computerize it and get it over with.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10289

Leave the game alone.

If MLB is too slow, too boring, too long for your limited attention span, then put on an NBA video or head out to an NHRA drag strip or nearby street corner sideshow..

The MLB is baseball, not basketball, not football- but it is the perfect game with all of it's subtleties and nuances.
    A gentleman's game where you can have a conversation, sip a beverage and watch a magnificent play erupt
    midsentence.
    PLAY BALL....BASEBALL!

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Umpire is part of the game

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10289

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Umpire is part of the game
    Bless you Tony

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Never. Those graphics we see I'd like to know how accurate they actually are anyway.

Cricket is a similar situation where the sport is deeply ingrained in it's roots and has somewhat embraced technology but there's touch and go situations where you're relying on technology to assume what's going to happen when who knows if that will happen or not.

Oh and good luck tracking knuckle ballers or guys with a lethal curve or slider.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by Mase of Base View Post

Oh and good luck tracking knuckle ballers or guys with a lethal curve or slider.
    thats simple since youre only judging where the ball is at the time it crosses the plate, if it touches any part of the edge of parameters its a strike.

Mase of Base

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    thats simple since youre only judging where the ball is at the time it crosses the plate, if it touches any part of the edge of parameters its a strike.
    I guess that goes back to my first theory of how accurate is it actually? Where are they tracking this from? It can't be behind the plate accurately to much obstruction, doubt from behind to far away but maybe technology is that good I don't know.

And we've all seen a nasty knuckle/curve/slider that does insane things super late.

*Sorry I see your point but that's ball tracking and an assumption of where the ball would be over the plate. Ball doesn't follow tracking though especially knuckle ballers.
    Last edited by Mase of Base; 07-27-18 at 04:17 AM.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6213

Umpires have to big egos time to bring in computer system

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by Mase of Base View Post
    I guess that goes back to my first theory of how accurate is it actually? Where are they tracking this from? It can't be behind the plate accurately to much obstruction, doubt from behind to far away but maybe technology is that good I don't know.

And we've all seen a nasty knuckle/curve/slider that does insane things super late.
    maybe could have on the sides of batter, above batter, even in the plate, heck they have cameras in the bags. theyd figure it out, wouldnt be surprised if theyve been tinkering with something for years or have something already in the works. this could easily be done with lasers Id imagine if they keep it the same forever I just wish they would remove the box graphic from the tv its annoying for me.

Mase of Base

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    maybe could have on the sides of batter, above batter, even in the plate, heck they have cameras in the bags. theyd figure it out, wouldnt be surprised if theyve been tinkering with something for years or have something already in the works. this could easily be done with lasers Id imagine if they keep it the same forever I just wish they would remove the box graphic from the tv its annoying for me.
    I completely agree with all you're saying and in theory it would be nice (although I'd still like an ump calling balls and strikes) I just don't think technology is that far advanced yet.

Your last sentence was perfect that box graphic has caused this argument and I'd like to know how accurate it really is, I doubt the tv networks are spending big dollars on it. It's just ball tracking like they do in cricket there is plenty of error but far less than baseball the late movement pitchers get is unreal, give me a +/- on that accuracy and I'll change my mind! Not you the guys tracking it (or you if you have it!).

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think next year auto calling

It would be much better

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

We'll never see the day of a computerized strike zone. Won't ever happen.