slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6225

Six to 10 people killed in Florida foot bridge collapse

By Zachary Fagenson
    MIAMI (Reuters) - Six to 10 people were killed when a newly installed pedestrian bridge spanning several lanes of traffic collapsed at Florida International University on Thursday, U.S. Senator Bill Nelson of Florida told local TV station CBS Miami.
    Emergency personnel searched for signs of life amid the wreckage of concrete, twisted metal and that rained from the collapsed structure and crushed vehicles on one of the busiest roads in South Florida.
    The Florida Highway Patrol previously said several people were killed but did not release a figure on fatalities.
    At least six injured people were taken away from the scene and eight vehicles were trapped in the bride wreckage, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez said in an interview with CBS Miami.
    At one point, police had requested television helicopters to leave the area so rescuers could hear for any sounds of people crying for help from beneath the collapsed structure, the Miami TV station said.
    Munilla Construction Management, which installed the bridge, in a statement on Twitter, said the bridge suffered a “catastrophic collapse causing injuries and loss of life."
    Complicating the rescue effort was the uncertainty about the integrity of the bridge, parts of which remained off the ground, much of it inclined, local media reported.
    The bridge connects the university with the city of Sweetwater and was installed on Saturday in six hours over the eight-lane highway, according to a story that was posted on the university's website. It was 174 feet (53 m) long and weighed 950 tons.
    The bridge was intended to provide a walkway over southwest Eighth Street, one of the busiest roads in South Florida. An 18-year-old female FIU student from San Diego was killed while trying to cross the street near FIU last August, according to local media reports.
    Students at FIU are currently on their spring break vacation, which runs from March 12 to March 17.
    Television footage showed firefighters were walking across the flattened wreckage and medics treating injured people. Emergency personnel appeared to be trying to work their way through a hole in the top of the bridge.
    White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said President Donald Trump is aware of the collapse.
    "Our brave first responders are working feverishly to save lives," she said at a news briefing.
    Florida Governor Rick Scott will head to the scene later in the day, his office said.
    The National Transportation Safety Board said on Twitter that it was sending a team to investigate the bridge collapse.
    Munilla Construction Management was founded in 1983 and owned by five brothers, according to its website. In addition to its Florida operations, the company also has divisions in Texas and Panama and employs 500 people.
    (Reporting by Gina Cherelus, Joseph Ax, Daniel Wallis and Andrew Hay in New York, Scott Malone in Boston, Bernie Woodall in Fort Lauderdale and James Oliphant in Washington; Writing by Jon Herskovitz; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/foot-bridg...181952337.html

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

So who was skimping on the building materials?

Time to raid some bank accounts.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Damn. It crushed cars flat as a pancake. People were sitting there and never seen it coming.

Kermit

BigBusiness
    Drug dealin money
    BigBusiness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

The sad part about it is that, not in a million years would any of these deceased people have thought that of all things to die from, a falling bridge would be one of them.

Can you imagine the horrifying sound of the bridge giving way while you're trying to figure out where it's coming from?

Next thing you know.... instant death.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Why is a bridge going over a road like that in the first place. Is traffic that bad that its the only way people can cross the street?

slayer14

Poorly built this is the problem when you hire cheap labor

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Messed up way to die. Crushed like a beetle getting stepped on. Has to be agonizing for as long as your conscious. Hopefully not too long. Someone is getting sued to shit.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    Why is a bridge going over a road like that in the first place. Is traffic that bad that its the only way people can cross the street?
    FIU is not like most universities.. its 50k + students with like 99% commuters ..
    The area around the university is very populated .. but has zero feel of a college town or anything even resembling a college town.

that street is a very busy street usually... thank god class was out.. I have a friend that works on campus 1000 feet from that bridge.. its been an awful day for her.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11162

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    Yes, traffic is horrible right there. Miami has several spots like that for pedestrians to cross without disrupting traffic. Whoever built this piece of shit should have their dick crushed in a vice. Anyone underneath that rubble is most certainly dead. No use searching for survivors. What a shame.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Massive lawsuits coming.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

That is freakin terrible 😔

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by kmarinouofm View Post
    that street is a very busy street usually... thank god class was out.. I have a friend that works on campus 1000 feet from that bridge.. its been an awful day for her.
    Dammit... Hopefully no students were caught in cars underneath that shit. I wonder how do they know the amount dead? It could be much more once they get underneath that mess.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

It was brand new and just finished being built this weekend. It was the first of it's kind using some new method and was supposed to lesson risk of something like this happening. Someone has a lot of questions to answer. Terrible tragedy.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Was traffic stopped or were those cars very unluckily caught passing underneath? Easy to say now, but I would have not stopped underneath any bridge with construction equipment around it.

Bostongambler

I’m sick to my stomach seeing it on the news earlier

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

they used "accelerated bridge construction methods"

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

massive lawsuits

could be jail time also to inspectors

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    It was brand new and just finished being built this weekend. It was the first of it's kind using some new method and was supposed to lesson risk of something like this happening. Someone has a lot of questions to answer. Terrible tragedy.
    This is what the bridge was supposed to look like when it was complete. Makes you wonder if they knew that it was a risk to let cars drive underneath it.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Pretty ironic they built the bridge because someone was killed crossing that freeway.

Heard they were stress testing the bridge when it collapsed. Who does that when traffic is going under?

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    This is what the bridge was supposed to look like when it was complete. Makes you wonder if they knew that it was a risk to let cars drive underneath it.
    Something about this quote really makes you go hmmm...

"was installed on Saturday in six hours over the eight-lane highway"

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    Heard they were stress testing the bridge when it collapsed. Who does that when traffic is going under?
    WTF? Come on. Please don't tell me they did that? Try explaining that to the families that will be grieving. Many of them don't even know that their loved ones are dead under that rubble. Sad.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Im alive boys. I know a lot are wondering.

Bostongambler

Quote Originally Posted by wikkidinsane View Post
    Im alive boys. I know a lot are wondering.
    You near there Wikipedia?

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Dammit... Hopefully no students were caught in cars underneath that shit. I wonder how do they know the amount dead? It could be much more once they get underneath that mess.
    a few dead under.. that is for sure.. people already posted that a few cars caught it..

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

Well, they say a liberal education will destroy your brain...

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

Shits crazy I pass by there all the time too...

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It was not finished. If you look at the pictures it is still under construction. They shoudn't have allowed traffic under until it was finished.

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11236

Quote Originally Posted by kmarinouofm View Post
    a few dead under.. that is for sure.. people already posted that a few cars caught it..
    I think more than a few I saw a video where you saw blood just running down the street like it was water...

slayer14

It looked a good idea

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

who cut corners here?

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    who cut corners here?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-deaths-miami/

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

they used "accelerated bridge construction methods"
    idiots

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

A lot of families going to get big $ from this

Kermit

"Rosenberg hailed the design of the bridge. It was supposed to last 100 years and be able to withstand a Category 5 hurricane."

I'd say his projections were off just a bit.

12 Last